Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
As a little comparison, I sent a stem to Tassie last Tuesday (2 days before that delivery above was sent!) and it still hasn't arrived...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
My 16th June BikeComponents order has just landed in Melbourne, 3 weeks and 2 days its been on the Frankfurt tarmac :(

Have a Bike24 from the 2nd July, its been there a week... got my spokes in that one.

I thought these German orders were starting to speed up again.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
My 16th June BikeComponents order has just landed in Melbourne, 3 weeks and 2 days its been on the Frankfurt tarmac :(

Have a Bike24 from the 2nd July, its been there a week... got my spokes in that one.

I thought these German orders were starting to speed up again.
I placed two German orders two days apart. One breezed through Frankfurt in three days. The other is still sitting there two weeks later.

No import duty on the first one though, which was a nice surprise.

ozzybmx

I placed two German orders two days apart. One breezed through Frankfurt in three days. The other is still sitting there two weeks later.

No import duty on the first one though, which was a nice surprise.
3 days with standard DHL shipping ? That's excellent and it's the fastest package reported here since corona kicked off.

It would be good if the German stores offered DHL Express like CRC does.

Considering Wiggle-CRC owns Bike24 and usually a DHL Express package from CRC passes through Frankfurt it's a bit annoying that they don't.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I carry plenty of spares so no panic getting stuff from OS .
I never look at tracking .
Doesnt worry me if it takes 2 months and by then its a nice surprise like Xmas.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
How does GST on international purchases work these days? My frames value was declared for insurance and I also had a $750 order from Germany. After preparing myself for a reaming I wasn’t actually charged import fees for either of them…

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
How does GST on international purchases work these days? My frames value was declared for insurance and I also had a $750 order from Germany. After preparing myself for a reaming I wasn’t actually charged import fees for either of them…
Luck of the draw mostly, very rare they check history of orders received (ie: if you're not running an import business, you'll probably just have to pay GST and import duties on the frame).

Jpez

Down on the left!
You’ve got it all wrong!! It’s not about ordering spares its about impulse buys and frivolous purchases. Try buying stuff you don’t really need but desperately want and I guarantee you’ll be glued to that tracking page like never before. Lol.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
Luck of the draw mostly, very rare they check history of orders received (ie: if you're not running an import business, you'll probably just have to pay GST and import duties on the frame).
So are you saying I can still be charged GST after delivery? I assumed the demand would come prior to the frame being released from customs.

ozzybmx

Same... loads of spares here but I have 3 blokes dipping into them and ~18 bikes to keep running.

It's not the spares I look forward to, it's the new blingy things and in this case, parts to build the new wheels for my Transition.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So are you saying I can still be charged GST after delivery? I assumed the demand would come prior to the frame being released from customs.
No, I mean when it hits customs if they pick up on it it'll all get calculated then, just noting they don't generally cross-check for previous purchases.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Where did you buy it from? Technically all overseas purchases are subject to GST now, bigger stores will collect it at checkout (so you don’t get stung at customs), those that don’t you’re just subject to the customs lottery of whether they happen to check your individual parcel or not.

j0w1s

Likes Dirt
Where did you buy it from? Technically all overseas purchases are subject to GST now, bigger stores will collect it at checkout (so you don’t get stung at customs), those that don’t you’re just subject to the customs lottery of whether they happen to check your individual parcel or not.
The frame was a private sale and I declared full value for insurance.

The parts were from bike-components.de and I didn’t see GST mentioned anywhere, unless it is already built into their prices.

I’m not complaining in either case though!

ozzybmx

The parts were from bike-components.de and I didn’t see GST mentioned anywhere
When you go to BC, HiBike, Bike24 ect their prices include VAT, when you select Aus, it swaps to GST which should be 10% less than the 20% VAT... but its not, usually around 5% off the displayed price... which is maybe a few % extra for the processing of the payment to Aus Coffers. At least they acknowledge the lesser % tax here.

So they deal with the GST for us.

I believe any package over $1000 still has a import fee, though I have no experience of this personally in the last few years. As mentioned, its a lottery and you could get away with it, but if avoidable I wouldn't take the chance.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I believe any package over $1000 still has a import fee, though I have no experience of this personally in the last few years. As mentioned, its a lottery and you could get away with it, but if avoidable I wouldn't take the chance.
I have had this before buying frames from bike-components. If your item is > 1k, the postal company will email you saying you need to pay import fee for them to release the item. There will be an instruction in the email on how to do it. Now, the catch is that, there are other fees associated with the import tax, including some processing fees charged by the postal company. So it's not just a straightforward tax, and those fees can be steep.

Sometimes, whether your order is > 1k is dependent on the currency exchange, and this is estimated based on the time when the order is placed. So if your order is borderline 1k, make sure you record the currency exchange then. I have had order that is just under 1k (like $10 under), and I didn't pay any import duty. I also have had order that is just over 1k, and didn't pay any import duty. However, I've also bought a frame that's 2.5k, and I have to pay import tax.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Spoke too soon. parcel from UK has taken nearly 2 months via ebay global.
Letter from Yack to Wodonga 25 km took a week , so at that rate about 300 years to get from the UK.