Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Just placed an order on AliExpress for a few small parts.

Asked a few question to 2 Chi frame makers as my boys are nearly ready to move up to large frame. Their race bikes are currently small BXT brand Chi frames.

Probably going to go with these plain black Ceccotti branded frames as they look better than the other Chi offerings, just asked them what was included eg Thru Axle, Headset, QR/TA dropouts ect, before buying as they charge $100us shipping for the 2 frames when most others are free or $20 max.

Anyone ordered stuff from China through AliExpress, BangGood, DHgate, DealExtreme ect... How long is the shipping taking at this current time ? Are there any major delays on incoming Chi goods ?

Also, I know EMS is quick but any opinions on the cheaper 2 shipping options ? I selected the $1.53 option as it says it will be here at the same time as the $8 ship.

Thanks

PJO

in me vL comy
The estimated shipping time on Aliex ain't worth...
Expect 60 days and you might be pleasantly surprised.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have you heard of the slow boat from china, your frames are on it. seriously what used to happen it all those international flights would have cargo on them, well that's not really happening, so expect long delays.

Flow-Rider

Burner
It's unprecedented times, it's difficult establishing a reliable timeframe for delivery.

I've ordered 2 frames in the past from them, way before Covid times and received them both within 2 weeks but paid for the faster delivery service; it was a few years ago and the delivery rate wasn't ridiculous amounts like it is now. One thing I can tell you with those frames is make sure you order spare hangers because it's a long wait and nightmare to hunt them down at a later date.

AliExpress has been a fuck up ever since the CCP made the original owner sell, I've been using them since 2010 and the service is going downhill fast.

moorey

call me Mia
My beef with Aliexpress is less to do with its delivery times, that its shady attempts to sell non genuine items as genuine, for not much cheaper than genuine. I certainly wouldn't buy from there expecting delivery in a month, but I would expect to get what I thought I had ordered.

ozzybmx

Haven't ordered the frames yet, they are coming by EMS but as yous say, where are the flights to get the shit here.

The other small order is 6 genuine fake Scram 160mm rotors. Good to rust on the beach as I'm getting the fatty back up and running.

ozzybmx

I have ordered stuff from all the places I mention in the OP before but I have not put any Chi orders in since Coronavirus hit.
Timeframes being the problem.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Haven't ordered the frames yet, they are coming by EMS but as yous say, where are the flights to get the shit here.

The other small order is 6 genuine fake Scram 160mm rotors. Good to rust on the beach as I'm getting the fatty back up and running.
I think you'll find the bigger issue is getting it through customs in an orderly fashion, being something as big as a frame it's harder to lose but easier to damage. Most of the stuff I've ordered recently hits the Australian shore within 2 weeks and gets stuck at the airport where sometimes it gets lost.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
I've put through ~15 orders from aliexpress over the past 2 months. All small stuff less than $50. The shipping has been around 4-8 weeks. It's really a crap shoot. I posted a whole thread about aliexpress stuff earlier in the year.

However when I ordered a car stereo head unit (around September) from Aliexpress that was shipped with EMS it was delivered in around 10 days. There is plenty of aircraft freight travelling around the world at the moment.

I think that if you ordered now you could expect it before Christmas.

Also when ordering through Aliexpress they make you pay the GST, so I would expect zero delay with customs. I have not heard of a frame purchase from aliexpress being delayed by customs in Australia, not since they started making you pay the GST at checkout.

Another option would be to wait for the Aliexpress 11.11 sale. Some genuinely good bargains can be found, but I would not be confident that you will get the stuff before Christmas.

As for the fake stuff, yeah there is fake stuff around. I can however vouch for the sellers selling the scram cassettes and other parts with the serial numbers filed off. Those cassettes are legit.

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've put through ~15 orders from aliexpress over the past 2 months. All small stuff less than $50. The shipping has been around 4-8 weeks. It's really a crap shoot. I posted a whole thread about aliexpress stuff earlier in the year.

However when I ordered a car stereo head unit (around September) from Aliexpress that was shipped with EMS it was delivered in around 10 days. There is plenty of aircraft freight travelling around the world at the moment.

Also when ordering through Aliexpress they make you pay the GST, so I would expect zero delay with customs. I have not heard of a frame purchase from aliexpress being delayed by customs in Australia, not since they started making you pay the GST at checkout.

Another option would be to wait for the Aliexpress 11.11 sale. Some genuinely good bargains can be found, but I would not be confident that you will get the stuff before Christmas.

As for the fake stuff, yeah there is fake stuff around. I can however vouch for the sellers selling the scram cassettes and other parts with the serial numbers filed off. Those cassettes are legit.
which sellers are these?

Flow-Rider

Burner

The stuff I've ordered defiantly (definitely) gets held up in customs, even confirmed this with austpost because as soon as it gets released it shows up on their system, I can trace the delivery all the way to Australia by overseas tracking. I'd say it's just a backlog of stuff coming through from China nothing to do with GST.

Last edited:

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
The stuff I've ordered defiantly gets held up in customs, even confirmed this with austpost because as soon as it gets released it shows up on their system, I can trace the delivery all the way to Australia by overseas tracking. I'd say it's just a backlog of stuff coming through from China nothing to do with GST.
Fair enough. Sounds like you are watching the tracking closely. I don't check the tracking history on my stuff.

My most recent purchases were from:
ZHUHAI Store
Outdoor traveling Store
Shop5379236 Store
World Bike Store
YB sanTee Store
R-Racing Store
Wangcaifan Store
Honever Store
Shop5800748 Store
Fiberin cycling Components Store
transkoot Official Store
Zltools Store
Fitness Rules Store
Haotool Store
CTHD Electrical Company Store
Promimic Store
My Jinji Store
Shop4601006 Store
Sports goods stores
JingShuai Store
Fitness Rules Store
BIKEIN Pro CN Store

Aliexpress is fantastic for stuff like mudguards, tools, tape, pads, cables, outer cables, washers, lights, accessories, etc..
When it comes to parts such as cassettes, brake set, drive chain, etc.. it's harder to find genuine products that are actually a bargain. Often the Australian online stores are not much more and I would buy local.

coarselanguagw

Likes Dirt
Eh, I actually never look at the store name. I just check to see that there have been more than say 30 orders placed on the item I want to buy and that the store has good feedback. Raise that to 100 orders and over 30 reviews on the item if you are super nervous.

If you item is not delivered in 2 months you can lodge a claim and aliexpress will give you a refund. I have ordered around 100+ things and the three claims I made resulted in a refund no questions asked.

I also updated my other thread just to give an idea of the kind of stuff I am buying:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Most Ali sites are 90 days + 15 days for a refund now, it never used to be like that with the old owner. With the Covid delays they make you wait till the end.

ozzybmx

Just ordered 2 of these in 19"-Glossy-BSA. Seller says...

ours is your best choice and you will receive it in 2 weeks,you can choose Custom shipping and that is no tax shipment
:D

Great answer to the question about what was included with the frame, over the next 3 questions I got my info... he did answer each time within 10 minutes, which wasn't bad.

AliExpress added $54us onto the order for tax/GST ?

Also states that it could be 30-56 days + the 14 day shipping... so only 70 days. Which at this stage will get caught up in the x-mas shit, might get them by Australia Day.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
AliExpress added $54us onto the order for tax/GST ?
That's good. Prefer to pay gst upfront rather than add another 14 days to hold it in customs while aus post sends you a letter in snail mail....

Also states that it could be 30-56 days + the 14 day shipping... so only 70 days.
Problem with a lot of Aliexpress/alibaba folks is they run the coles/woolworths model. The shipping delays are usually max 50% of the time to your door. The rest of it is they simply post it very last minute!