Buying bike parts from overseas, shipping time estimates and methods ?

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Sidebar;
I used to work for a GPS dealer that sold, amongst other things, Garmin cycling GPSs.

The cycling shops got together and told Garmin they would not sell their GPS while other (Australian) shops were discounting them.
So overnight other dealers could not sell cycling GPSs. This was several years ago.
I am all for supporting local businesses but not at any cost.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Maybe you should ask your LBS why their Garmin GPSs are so expensive.
Usually no discount codes apply to Garmin either. I bought #1 son a Wahoo Elemnt Roam from Germany at xmas past, was a fair bit cheaper than full price here.

Pushys dropped a code a few weeks later that included Wahoo, brought it to a level where I would have bought here but they were too late.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
First time in a few orders, there is stuff for me in the order... cough actually its nearly all mine :oops:

Hasn't moved in a month, typical.

View attachment 387471
I've had a package doing FA, going nowhere at Frankfurt since 12th April. The waiting is excruciating. good thing I can get by without the goodies for now. Not so keen to order from Germany again in a big hurry, unless it's too good to pass on.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
How many of us have stuff in Frankfurt! What do dhl
fly down only once a month?
I'm sitting here with my finger over the buy it now button and the thing that's holding me back is the only shipping option is DHL.....it's amazing that a shipping method has an influence on this :(

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'll not buy from Germany again until these horror stories out of Frankfurt cease.

It's not worth it, unless it's a massive bargain impulse buy that you can just forget about until it arrives.
Or if you carry a pretty big stock of spares and consumables.

Probably 50% of the stuff I order is stocking up on components I already have. Brake pads down to $10 a set, hmmm I already have 6 sets of spares... ok give me another 6 ;)

Usually I have an order coming from Germany at all times... always at least one of mine kicking about a warehouse in Frankfurt, though its been a few weeks as I am waiting on someone to get Vittoria tyres in as promised. Better paying $40-60 a tyre from Germany than $100 here.

BurnieM

Likes Dirt
Taking 5 weeks from DE for my DT Swiss parts was ok due to the significant cost saving.
Not good but you factor it in and allow for it.

I understand 3+ months ago it being slow but we now have a large number of flights to Oz so why ?
Seems like DHL could do 10 day delivery if the shipments did not take a holiday in Frankfurt.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How many of us have stuff in Frankfurt! What do dhl
fly down only once a month?
Got a set of new tyres sitting in Frankfurth that have been there since 8 April. Apparently DHL's shipping estimate to Australia is 40 days. Only after this has expired can the sender seek an investigation.

jrewing

Eats Squid
I’m totally ok if the pilots are getting full of beers and sausages. If not and they’re Vegan I hope them and my parts end up in the Indian next to mh370!

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I've been hunting for a very specific Rockshox hard to get suspension thingy (fork). All sold out in Oz... was told none coming again till the end of the year. I had a bit of a look around the interwebby and found my desired fork in an eBay shop in California. For shits and giggles, I attempted to purchase it at a great price and waited to be turned down with each step through the checkout process. Not only did it get through, they paid all import duties and got it to me in a smidge over 2 weeks.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Cheeky bastards….I thought maybe it was a good thing because it said it wasn’t Frankfurt….did a google and this place is damn close to Frankfurt so maybe the slow shipping/processing rule still applies? One week in for my new frame..fuck I just noticed the date :eek: that can’t be good!

Scotty675

Cable thief
Cheeky bastards….I thought maybe it was a good thing because it said it wasn’t Frankfurt….did a google and this place is damn close to Frankfurt so maybe the slow shipping/processing rule still applies? One week in for my new frame..fuck I just noticed the date :eek: that can’t be good!
View attachment 389623
My new frame got from Sausage to Melbourne in 18 days, which surprised me. Let’s see how long it sits in Melbourne