Buying a used dropper

quannum

Likes Dirt
I’ve been looking to get a dropper for a while and what appears like a good buy is available locally.

Having not owned one before I’m not sure what to check. Any advice on common problems or things to avoid?

It’s a Reverb if that helps.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Echo, avoid reverb

I think they've sorted out the big sagging issue that the earlier ones had, but I'd still avoid based on the fact that it's a premium priced post that you can't really get in and service yourself.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
I'll add to the chorus, don't buy a Reverb. While servicing restores them to basically like new, the fact you can't simply or cheaply service them is insanity (great for RockShox though).

quannum

Likes Dirt
Thanks all, I will skip the Reverb.

What's a better, serviceable dropper? Or should I just be looking for a new BrandX or similar at the low end?

LPG

likes thicc birds
Brand X are reliable, work well enough and easy to service. I have had 3 in different lengths (one used and 2 new) and they've all been perfect. I'm thinking of upgrading to a one-up only because I can fit a 210 dropper on the bike with one up.

If you are after a 120 or 150 31.8 cheap to try it out let me know.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Brand X are reliable, work well enough and easy to service. I have had 3 in different lengths (one used and 2 new) and they've all been perfect. I'm thinking of upgrading to a one-up only because I can fit a 210 dropper on the bike with one up.

Second in line if op doesn't need the 150mm and your looking at selling it.

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I had had 3 Brand X and all worked flawlessly. But the remortes aren't great or even good. I have replaced them with ZTTO remotes for about $25 a throw from Ali Express.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Good to see the hole worked out well.

Nice. Where you get the grommet?
I sent some grommets with the dropper. I sent a plug from my NS eccentic that came with it (needs a hole drilled out to use but will fit) as well as an electrical grommet eft over from from I built guitar amps years ago. Looks like he used the electrical grommet which looked very tidy when I did a test fit on the Eccentric which isn't built up. It looks perfect with the cable through it quannum

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I had had 3 Brand X and all worked flawlessly. But the remortes aren't great or even good. I have replaced them with ZTTO remotes for about $25 a throw from Ali Express.
If I get a ZTTO remote, can I use the existing cable or will I need to use new cable? I'm also have a Brand X.