Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

tobbogonist

a registered member
Is there anywhere delightful for camping around Marysville?
Shuttle booked for next sunday early, thought it would be nice to head down sat after work with the swag.
I only asks cause I usually pick camping spots that turn into drunk teenage 4wd/shooting hang outs at 2 in the morning. Nothing like being woken up by hiphop blaring over the top of shotgun blasts and premix jim beam arguments.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is there anywhere delightful for camping around Marysville?
Shuttle booked for next sunday early, thought it would be nice to head down sat after work with the swag.
I only asks cause I usually pick camping spots that turn into drunk teenage 4wd/shooting hang outs at 2 in the morning. Nothing like being woken up by hiphop blaring over the top of shotgun blasts and premix jim beam arguments.
Enjoy it mate, it's in premo condition at the moment. This rain should settle down the dust a little.

Quick heads up, the bus leaves from the visitors center. Not the caravan park like they used to. I made that mistake yesterday lol

tobbogonist

a registered member
Enjoy it mate, it's in premo condition at the moment. This rain should settle down the dust a little.

Quick heads up, the bus leaves from the visitors center. Not the caravan park like they used to. I made that mistake yesterday lol
First time there, so keen!
Thanks for the heads up, i havnt even got that far with my planning.

tobbogonist

a registered member
Hahahaha.
As long as its not some sort of secret park your hilux here and drink beers in the tray hangout im happy. Cheers man.

jeanetienne

Cannon Fodder
I went over to Marysville for the Cascade trail this weekend. The weather was perfect and the trail is amazing. Hours of fun and sweat.

I started with a 1pm shuttle on Saturday and I was the only one booked in. Trevor the friendly local driver was like a personal tour guide on the way up, pointing out all the important landmarks of the trail, crossings and possibilities to stop or bail in case of physical/mechanical difficulties. Trevor advised using the "Trigger Track" as an easier way to start the Cascade trail, to avoid climbing all the way to the summit for starters. I though to myself, the view from the summit must be nice and it would be a nice warm up. Boy was I wrong, and how was I more out of shape than I thought. I started riding around 1:45pm, with a fair amount of climb from the get go. I was carrying a little bit too much gear and a windbreaker, by the summit I was already well beyond warmed up. The trail going down was really nice albeit a bit wet and muddy. By the time I reached "Arnold's Gap" (less than 1/4 of the way down) I was already wondering if I'm going to finish it alive. A lot of ups and downs, more climbing than I expected, but the downhill bits are worth it. From "The Gate" to "Harry's Landing" it's almost only up, and it got the best of me. I was exhausted. I had only had eggs for breakfast 6 hours prior, and this may have been my biggest mistake. I had no juice left in the legs, and the best part of the trail was ahead of me. I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. I finished around 6:15pm at Lady Talbot Drive (effectively taking an early exit). So all in all 4h30m of a ride, and exhausted like I rarely have been.

My plan was to do a second ride on the Sunday and after my Saturday experience I was about to give up. After a good hearty camp dinner, and an equally nourishing camp breakfast, I felt life coming back to me and the weather was even better, this alone was reason enough to try it again. I had a snack just before taking the shuttle and was carrying lollies in my backpack this time. I wasn't going to let poor nutrition ruin the show a second time. Once again I booked the 1pm shuttle and up until 1 min to departure it looked like I was going to be all alone with Trevor again when 2 younger riders showed up just in time. Is started riding around 1:40pm, this time with "Trigger Track", and didn't exhaust myself from the get go. I arrived at "Harry's Landing" with no regrets, convinced that today was going to be the day. The trail didn't disappoint. The portion between "Harry's Landing" and the "Secret Garden" is amazing, my absolute favourite part is between the 1st and 2nd crossing of Sunds Rd. Perfect mix of berms, fast flow between trees, some jumps (that I didn't take) and a little bit of pedalling to make sure you keep yourself warm. The trail had dried up a bit since Saturday and was in perfect condition. I still arrived at Lady Talbot Drive around 5pm, and took the early exit again. My Apple Watch said ~2 hours of riding, but still 3h30min from start to Marysville. Worth every second. I saw the two riders who shuttled with on several occasions on the trail. Although they seemed more experienced and more fit than me, they went only marginally faster than me. So I really think you should expect to spend at the very least 3 hours on this trail for someone pretty fit and taking minimal stops.

Key points if you don't want to read it all:
  • The trail is great, hours of fun, absolutely worth it
  • On my second day, knowing a bit the trail, taking minimal stops (longest stop was 20 min to eat a sandwich) I still spent 3.5+ hours
  • If you have spouses or kids waiting for you, with having to show up around 20 min before shuttle, plus 30 min of shuttle, that's a good 4.5 hours round trip from Marysville for people waiting for you

For campers:
  • Anderson Mill is a great free campsite nearby with toilets
  • Apparently the caravan park in town offers showers for a fee (haven't checked)

Attachments

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Good write up. It's a great trail but you definitely need to be prepared for a bit of climbing and a long time in the saddle.

I did the ride last November and was toasted by the end but did it again very recently a fared better as I think I was mentally prepared for the climbing.

I the the first section including the climb to the summit is a brilliant way to start and I highly recommend doing that section rather than bypassing it if you have the legs (and haven't already done the full ride the day before). The last section that you skipped both days is really nice too. I get that it's not fun when you are totally gassed but if you get back there and are feeling ok at Lady Talbot Drive then I recommend continuing on. There is a bit of gentle climbing and a couple of really nice descents in there.

jeanetienne

Cannon Fodder
Good write up. It's a great trail but you definitely need to be prepared for a bit of climbing and a long time in the saddle.

I did the ride last November and was toasted by the end but did it again very recently a fared better as I think I was mentally prepared for the climbing.

I the the first section including the climb to the summit is a brilliant way to start and I highly recommend doing that section rather than bypassing it if you have the legs (and haven't already done the full ride the day before). The last section that you skipped both days is really nice too. I get that it's not fun when you are totally gassed but if you get back there and are feeling ok at Lady Talbot Drive then I recommend continuing on. There is a bit of gentle climbing and a couple of really nice descents in there.
Sure, I'm keen to go back and do the final bit too! First time I was exhausted, second time it was getting late knowing I wanted to be back for dinner in Melbourne.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I went over to Marysville for the Cascade trail this weekend. The weather was perfect and the trail is amazing. Hours of fun and sweat.

I started with a 1pm shuttle on Saturday and I was the only one booked in. Trevor the friendly local driver was like a personal tour guide on the way up, pointing out all the important landmarks of the trail, crossings and possibilities to stop or bail in case of physical/mechanical difficulties. Trevor advised using the "Trigger Track" as an easier way to start the Cascade trail, to avoid climbing all the way to the summit for starters. I though to myself, the view from the summit must be nice and it would be a nice warm up. Boy was I wrong, and how was I more out of shape than I thought. I started riding around 1:45pm, with a fair amount of climb from the get go. I was carrying a little bit too much gear and a windbreaker, by the summit I was already well beyond warmed up. The trail going down was really nice albeit a bit wet and muddy. By the time I reached "Arnold's Gap" (less than 1/4 of the way down) I was already wondering if I'm going to finish it alive. A lot of ups and downs, more climbing than I expected, but the downhill bits are worth it. From "The Gate" to "Harry's Landing" it's almost only up, and it got the best of me. I was exhausted. I had only had eggs for breakfast 6 hours prior, and this may have been my biggest mistake. I had no juice left in the legs, and the best part of the trail was ahead of me. I didn't enjoy it as much as I could have. I finished around 6:15pm at Lady Talbot Drive (effectively taking an early exit). So all in all 4h30m of a ride, and exhausted like I rarely have been.

My plan was to do a second ride on the Sunday and after my Saturday experience I was about to give up. After a good hearty camp dinner, and an equally nourishing camp breakfast, I felt life coming back to me and the weather was even better, this alone was reason enough to try it again. I had a snack just before taking the shuttle and was carrying lollies in my backpack this time. I wasn't going to let poor nutrition ruin the show a second time. Once again I booked the 1pm shuttle and up until 1 min to departure it looked like I was going to be all alone with Trevor again when 2 younger riders showed up just in time. Is started riding around 1:40pm, this time with "Trigger Track", and didn't exhaust myself from the get go. I arrived at "Harry's Landing" with no regrets, convinced that today was going to be the day. The trail didn't disappoint. The portion between "Harry's Landing" and the "Secret Garden" is amazing, my absolute favourite part is between the 1st and 2nd crossing of Sunds Rd. Perfect mix of berms, fast flow between trees, some jumps (that I didn't take) and a little bit of pedalling to make sure you keep yourself warm. The trail had dried up a bit since Saturday and was in perfect condition. I still arrived at Lady Talbot Drive around 5pm, and took the early exit again. My Apple Watch said ~2 hours of riding, but still 3h30min from start to Marysville. Worth every second. I saw the two riders who shuttled with on several occasions on the trail. Although they seemed more experienced and more fit than me, they went only marginally faster than me. So I really think you should expect to spend at the very least 3 hours on this trail for someone pretty fit and taking minimal stops.

Key points if you don't want to read it all:
  • The trail is great, hours of fun, absolutely worth it
  • On my second day, knowing a bit the trail, taking minimal stops (longest stop was 20 min to eat a sandwich) I still spent 3.5+ hours
  • If you have spouses or kids waiting for you, with having to show up around 20 min before shuttle, plus 30 min of shuttle, that's a good 4.5 hours round trip from Marysville for people waiting for you
For campers:
  • Anderson Mill is a great free campsite nearby with toilets
  • Apparently the caravan park in town offers showers for a fee (haven't checked)
Sure, I'm keen to go back and do the final bit too! First time I was exhausted, second time it was getting late knowing I wanted to be back for dinner in Melbourne.
Great write up mate, nice work giving it a second go.
I saw the shuttle you were on as I drove down yesterday after a solid morning on the trail. Conditions were absolutely mint other than the couple of big bogs up the top. Had some funny moments in them with the big group I was with.

Views from the summit were the best I've ever seen them, could actually see the buildings in Melbourne city!

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I saw the shuttle you were on as I drove down yesterday after a solid morning on the trail. Conditions were absolutely mint other than the couple of big bogs up the top. Had some funny moments in them with the big group I was with.

Views from the summit were the best I've ever seen them, could actually see the buildings in Melbourne city!

View attachment 383231
Adding gratuitous summit shot

Jpez

Down on the left!

View attachment 383231
Looking forward to getting back there with a different mindset. I really didn’t do my research before I went. All I heard was 1500 odd meters of descending yada yada. I had visions for some reason of a bigger version of Flowtown or something. Didn’t occur to me there was climbing involved. So I was too shagged from the ups to enjoy the downs which turns out to be a common complaint.
Now my fitness has improved Im looking forward to having another crack at it.

jeanetienne

Cannon Fodder

I didn't even try to look for Melbourne from the summit :oops:. Incredible!

Last edited:

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking forward to getting back there with a different mindset. I really didn’t do my research before I went. All I heard was 1500 odd meters of descending yada yada. I had visions for some reason of a bigger version of Flowtown or something. Didn’t occur to me there was climbing involved. So I was too shagged from the ups to enjoy the downs which turns out to be a common complaint.
Now my fitness has improved Im looking forward to having another crack at it.
We were talking about it during the ride yesterday, definitely think the elevation must play a part as well. It ruins you like no other 600m elevation rides do haha.
You would smash it at the moment with all your riding.

Melbourne burners Christmas ride? haha

Jpez

Down on the left!
We were talking about it during the ride yesterday, definitely think the elevation must play a part as well. It ruins you like no other 600m elevation rides do haha.
You would smash it at the moment with all your riding.

Melbourne burners Christmas ride? haha
I’d definitely be up for a burner Xmas ride!

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Great ride report thanks jeanetienne - it's a great track but it makes you work for it. I agree, I think it's the altitude that bends you over.