Buxton and Lake Mountain Thread

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
Planning a visit to Buxton and Cascades in Feb and getting my head around it all, hence the little grave dig.
Does Cascades warrant a full face (contemplating purchasing a Leatt Enduro convertible) or is there too much climbing involved? I don't go hard or hit jumps as now an old fart but am also not keen on paying a dentist so they can buy another Yeti.
I wear a full face for it but don't think it's entirely necessary. Not sure what it's rated but I would guess blue. There is nothing too gnarly.

I only wear a full face because I fear the day I don't wear it is the day I have a stupid crash and ruin my beautiful looks.

Switch

huskier headed gent
I wear a full face for it but don't think it's entirely necessary. Not sure what it's rated but I would guess blue. There is nothing too gnarly.

I only wear a full face because I fear the day I don't wear it is the day I have a stupid crash and ruin my beautiful looks.
Thanks for your opinion Yuley, I believe it is blue but that is also what worries me in that I will start pushing it faster on an unknown trail and have one of those JRAW (Just Riding Along When) crashes.

yuley95

Thanks for your opinion Yuley, I believe it is blue but that is also what worries me in that I will start pushing it faster on an unknown trail and have one of those JRAW (Just Riding Along When) crashes.
There are definitely section that encourage you to push and go faster with deep berms etc. I guess the answer is that if you re considering getting a full face then you might as well use the extra protection

Switch

huskier headed gent
There are definitely section that encourage you to push and go faster with deep berms etc. I guess the answer is that if you re considering getting a full face then you might as well use the extra protection
Definitely feeling like that's the answer, now to just confirm the Leatt Enduro 4.0 will fit my noggin and if the wife complains about the cost I can just blame it on you now ;)
Just booked two nights accom in Buxton for Feb so looking forward to checking out the trails for the first time and if I take photo's of the lifts at Lake Mtn I can call it tax deductible.

yuley95

Definitely feeling like that's the answer, now to just confirm the Leatt Enduro 4.0 will fit my noggin and if the wife complains about the cost I can just blame it on you now ;)
Just booked two nights accom in Buxton for Feb so looking forward to checking out the trails for the first time and if I take photo's of the lifts at Lake Mtn I can call it tax deductible.
I'm very happy to enable any sort of bike related purchase :cool:

petertronica

Likes Dirt
Planning a visit to Buxton and Cascades in Feb and getting my head around it all, hence the little grave dig.
Does Cascades warrant a full face (contemplating purchasing a Leatt Enduro convertible) or is there too much climbing involved? I don't go hard or hit jumps as now an old fart but am also not keen on paying a dentist so they can buy another Yeti.
There are some fairly sizeable jumps on the lower sections, if you're keen on hitting them then a full face might be advisable.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
Did the Cascades track yesterday with a shit-ton of other people (3 almost full buses went up the hill at 10.30, apparently another 3 full buses went up at the earlier 9.30 timeslot too). Was a bit nervous given the snow Friday and rain all Saturday but it was pretty good, only a few puddles here and there but the damp certainly added a tricky factor... all of a sudden the rocks were far less grippy. Still, made it to the gatehouse in good spirits and did the climb up to the lunchroom. Came down the steep descent OK, the corners were mostly dry and mostly grippy but occasionally not which was interesting. Man, that section is steep and the corners were starting to get some decent braking bumps... Rest of the trip was pretty uneventful, lovely riding through the bush and finishing up at Marysville in the sun with the 8000 tourists, good stuff.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been a while since I've been out to Lake Mountain, what do people reckon would the trail conditions be like this weekend given the weather this week?

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's been a while since I've been out to Lake Mountain, what do people reckon would the trail conditions be like this weekend given the weather this week?
Can't speak for Lake Mountain but Buxton was prime last weekend, so unless that area has had a heap of rain they should be running very well

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The top is south facing and basically struggles with grip (some rekon it's fun lol). Lots of exposed rocks and roots ready to randomly snipe and send you to the ground or otb.

After ticket box it gets much more managable. Still a few puddles but generally lots of grip and drains well.

shmity

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The top is south facing and basically struggles with grip (some rekon it's fun lol). Lots of exposed rocks and roots ready to randomly snipe and send you to the ground or otb.

After ticket box it gets much more managable. Still a few puddles but generally lots of grip and drains well.
Thanks! Was keen to give the top section a ride after it's had a few improvements since I was last out but I might just skip it and roll in from the ticket box!