Burners' Backyards: Veggies, Gardening, Landscape & Design

cammas

Seamstress
Anyone who has read my stories of my lovely neighbours would know how great the last 10 years have been :rolleyes:, as their house is elevated and looks down into our front yard.
I suggested the below design for our front yard to Mrs Cammas apparently she did not like the idea, I thought it would be great for them to look down on :)
1678756103205.jpeg

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Looks great apart from the fence
Fun story about the fence... for context you should note the Gal posts that form the official boundary.

Grumpy neighbour on the other side wanted me to cut down those two Gum trees because he was afraid they'd fall on his house and kill him in his sleep (p.s. they've obviously been there for way longer than either he or I have). While I acknowledge that the risk is never zero I do note that he has no qualms getting behind the wheel most days. I choose to live in a rural town because I prefer the trees.

A while after the pump track went in there was a mumbled exchange about privacy and how dare we use our own backyard for something fun. A few months later I arrive home to the colourbond fence being installed 100mm from the boundary, again I choose to live in a rural town because I'm not a fan of rows upon rows of colourbond fencing but he can do what he pleases on his side.

Now it would appear that the fencing contractor failed to consider the prevailing Westerly wind, it looks utterly shite but has given me the motivation to plant the Photinia Red Robin hedge that was always eventually going to go there.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Fun story about the fence... for context you should note the Gal posts that form the official boundary.

Grumpy neighbour on the other side wanted me to cut down those two Gum trees because he was afraid they'd fall on his house and kill him in his sleep (p.s. they've obviously been there for way longer than either he or I have). While I acknowledge that the risk is never zero I do note that he has no qualms getting behind the wheel most days. I choose to live in a rural town because I prefer the trees.

A while after the pump track went in there was a mumbled exchange about privacy and how dare we use our own backyard for something fun. A few months later I arrive home to the colourbond fence being installed 100mm from the boundary, again I choose to live in a rural town because I'm not a fan of rows upon rows of colourbond fencing but he can do what he pleases on his side.

Now it would appear that the fencing contractor failed to consider the prevailing Westerly wind, it looks utterly shite but has given me the motivation to plant the Photinia Red Robin hedge that was always eventually going to go there.
Dividing fences act up here gives neighbours a lot of power if they feel threatened by a tree. I had the same issue and fair enough it was an old black wattle that was rotten in the core. It was never a chance to reach their house but they contacted the council. Whatever, it is 150m from my house... dealt with it. Then they wanted some of the mulch from the tree when I bring in a contractor to do that. Ah no, it is just going to lie along the fenceline until I get around to it. That was a few years ago. Since then I have lopped branches from their trees and just added the limbs to my wood pile, now it has little ground birds nesting in the leftovers. Not going anywhere now. And they have installed a false fence to hide the detritus.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Dividing fences act up here gives neighbours a lot of power if they feel threatened by a tree. I had the same issue and fair enough it was an old black wattle that was rotten in the core. It was never a chance to reach their house but they contacted the council. Whatever, it is 150m from my house... dealt with it. Then they wanted some of the mulch from the tree when I bring in a contractor to do that. Ah no, it is just going to lie along the fenceline until I get around to it. That was a few years ago. Since then I have lopped branches from their trees and just added the limbs to my wood pile, now it has little ground birds nesting in the leftovers. Not going anywhere now. And they have installed a false fence to hide the detritus.
For a while I felt a smidge bad, so each year I'd get an aborist out to check them over and make sure there was no immediate threat as far as they could practically determine, after the fence went up my field of fucks withered, died and is now barren.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered

That sucks that you choose to live in Howstheserenityville and get lumped with Captain Cockwomble next door.

Damned Murphy's got a lot to answer for.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
For a while I felt a smidge bad, so each year I'd get an aborist out to check them over and make sure there was no immediate threat as far as they could practically determine, after the fence went up my field of fucks withered, died and is now barren.
I have a better relationship with all the other neighbours. We deal with what hangs over or falls over our side. None of the houses are close to boundaries. I think the other neighbours are townies. They don't even have mountain bikes!

The Dude

Wasn't asking to be banned
Anyone who has read my stories of my lovely neighbours would know how great the last 10 years have been :rolleyes:, as their house is elevated and looks down into our front yard.
I suggested the below design for our front yard to Mrs Cammas apparently she did not like the idea, I thought it would be great for them to look down on :)
View attachment 397841
Obviously doubling as a fire pit!