Building a road bike...

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
G'day everyone,

Still a bit new around these parts but I've had a man look around this forum and haven't found too much information on this subject. Long story short I snapped up a 61cm steel frame on ebay for a dunger/bastard commuter-ss project. However upon receiving it said steel frame turned out to be a triple butted chromoly (spelling?) beautifully made frame that is stupidly light. Subjecting it to a dunger project just doesn't seem right anymore so I want to make a roadie.

Small problem though: I know nothing about road bikes.

So I am trawling around for advice. Thinking of a 105 level (or equivalent) drivetrain spec but what's the best way to go? Budget is going to be limited (well under $1k probably) as I don't want to divert too much away from the mtbs fund. With that in mind I was thinking the best bet would be to buy a 4-6 year old alloy framed roadie and transfer most parts? Is 6 year old 105 still a good investment? And wheels? What's a good road wheelset on a budget? (going for strong/cheap from the magic 3) I was also thinking of skimping a bit on the groupset and spending more on wheels, is this a good way to go? Alternatively for my budget is it a better option to simply go ss? (although I probably have enough of those). I have a seatpost, seat, forks, bars and stem currently...

If there are any threads that have already amply covered this subject feel free to point me in that direction.

Cheers

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Good for you on the frame. I applaud your decision...

If it's not something that you are overly interested in but still would like to make a decent roadie then scblacks suggestion is a good one...except most of the cockpit (stem and seatpost anyway) probably won't fit your frame and neither will (probably) the front deraileur (without a clamp).

Personally, I'd gun for a Tiagra group which is only a slight step down from 105 but is fine for everyday use. You can get the full Tiagra driveline and brakes group from Merlin for about $370 (but you'll need a FD down tube clamp) http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-sh...s-road-bike/shimano-tiagra-4600-groupset.html plus another $150 for a pair of decent road wheels and another $150 to $200 for the cockpit...

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Why not buy this, and transfer parts over - thats below your $1,000 budget and is 105 groupset.

http://www.cyclingexpress.com/cycle/azzurri-imperia-elite.aspx

And you get a spare frame!

I see your Azzurri & raise you with a Reid:

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/bicycles/road-bikes/2012-reid-falco-road-bike.html

$849, the cheapest 105 groupset I have been able to find so far.

Oh & for 200 bucks more you get a set of Mavic Aksiums. I paid 100 bucks more than that for mine from Cell, & they were cheap.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Thanks for all the feedback and research. Still holding off on purchasing anything until the tax return monster regurgitates, and am still thinking secondhand, rather than new purely for the extra vfm. While it won't be used as a commuter it will be doing a few ks a week as I have lots of roadie mates who have not yet seen the light of awesome that is mtb.

In terms of wheels, is Mavic Aksium a good choice? Seem to be coming back to them a lot..

FatGuts

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the feedback and research. Still holding off on purchasing anything until the tax return monster regurgitates, and am still thinking secondhand, rather than new purely for the extra vfm. While it won't be used as a commuter it will be doing a few ks a week as I have lots of roadie mates who have not yet seen the light of awesome that is mtb.

In terms of wheels, is Mavic Aksium a good choice? Seem to be coming back to them a lot..

Not the lightest or the best but reliable. I have never put a spanner on my set & they are 3 years old & have done between 5 & 7000km.

Good bank for your buck.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
For cheap/strong wheels, I'd personally look seriously at Pro-Lite Comos. Review
I ride Pro-Lite Bracciano's and love them.

Got any picks of the frame or and idea of what /how old it is?

It might help with recommendations of what group to put on it.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Bloody hell, those Pro-Lites sure are bank account friendly. Sealed hubs? For that price I'd be pleasantly surprised...

As for the frame, I was told by the seller who it was made by (and promptly forgot). Tried to get in contact with him to find out again but no response. I do remember however, that it was made in the late 1980's in Victoria and it's blue. Not overly specific I know, I'll post a picture or two up soon.

It also has quite a short wheelbase/top tube (or whatever the technical term is). As I'm quite big, will running a longer stem counter that? Or should I be prepared for some 'interesting' handling characteristics? I'm used to XL sized mtbs (of the 29er variety of late), so am aware that it's going to feel quite different to those anyway, at least initially.