AM British Steel

moorey

call me Mia
Great that it arrived safely at last! I hope you love it!

What lb spring is on the shock? It's tricky getting that dialled in so if I can help with that let me know.
400. I need 350, maybe 300. I’ll have a play, but definitely a bit firm. I guess they expect a bit more rider on a large bike. I’m just oddly proportioned. Will run you Öhlins for an upcoming shuttle and race day, I reckon.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
400. I need 350, maybe 300. I’ll have a play, but definitely a bit firm. I guess they expect a bit more rider on a large bike. I’m just oddly proportioned. Will run you Öhlins for an upcoming shuttle and race day, I reckon.
I have a super light Nukeproof 350 spring if you need.

moorey

call me Mia
Fitted the VHS slapper tape, bled brakes, fitted a chain guide after testing 3. 2 fouled on pivot cover cap (OneUp and MRP). The Blackspire isn’t guide of choice, but needed less mods to get it to clear. Had to trim so it doesn’t hit rear triangle.
@kten ’s lighter spring on the way. May just got his Ohlins air for now as originally planned.
Frameskin still not here, but test ride tomorrow. I can wait no more.

Oh, and it’s got lighter tyres than the big 160mm ENR…but weighs 500g more. #noragrats

If I enjoy riding it 1/2 as much as I enjoy looking at it, I’ll be stoked.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Make sure you cover that vertical brace on the swing arm before riding otherwise the chain will eat the paint really quickly. Cover it right down to the chain slap protector.

Not gonna lie, that is one ugly chain guide.

Enjoy the maiden voyage!!

moorey

call me Mia
Make sure you cover that vertical brace on the swing arm before riding otherwise the chain will eat the paint really quickly. Cover it right down to the chain slap protector.

Not gonna lie, that is one ugly chain guide.

Enjoy the maiden voyage!!
I don’t disagree. I’ll sort something better another day. They work well but.
Cheers for the reminder. I remember seeing someone post about theirs getting beat up without protection there. 2 layers of rubberized tape added to the hot spot.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Serious question, do you need a chain guide?
I haven't dropped a chain for years, or am I doing it wrong?
Also, aside from the small wheels this is a great build, love it

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
It’s like relying on the pullout method to avoid kids. Sure it works 99% of the time, but that one time you go hard, you’ll slip and end with a lifetime of pain. Ask @Rorschach if he wished he put a chainguide on his dick bike

moorey

call me Mia
It’s like relying on the pullout method to avoid kids. Sure it works 99% of the time, but that one time you go hard, you’ll slip and end with a lifetime of pain. Ask @Rorschach if he wished he put a chainguide on his dick bike
What he said.
I went years without guides and no chain drops, then stated riding a bit more aggressively, pedalling through rough and choppy sections in races, and starter to occasional drop. Just not worth the risk, as much as I prefer the look and quietness of no guide.
That said, used to run guideless with short cage Zee. These bigger derailleurs and longer cages almost certainly bounce around a lot more, and I’m only running middy 11sp.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What he said.
I went years without guides and no chain drops, then stated riding a bit more aggressively, pedalling through rough and choppy sections in races, and starter to occasional drop. Just not worth the risk, as much as I prefer the look and quietness of no guide.
That said, used to run guideless with short cage Zee. These bigger derailleurs and longer cages almost certainly bounce around a lot more, and I’m only running middy 11sp.
TL;DR.