Brake issues thread

jrewing

Eats Squid
I had my first Shimano issue last night where the rear lever pulled all the way to the bars, but then managed to reset itself and not cause a single other issue all night. My son had one a week ago (unfortunately he was popping a wheelie at the time and slammed the road as he couldn't 'feather' the brake). Is that just Shimano or time for a full bleed?
I was coasting a nice wheelie in the car park made of hard tarmac, fucking lever went full bar randomally just when I was past my point. Looked like a complete goober and my arse and elbow took a mean hit. First time I've had it with this lever. My xt's on my DJer have a always been temperamental.
Shimano brakes are dead to me now!

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'm seeing a theme here.

When I'm wheeling my bike through tight spaces on its back wheel, both my M8000 and M8100 levers will pull to the bar when the reservoir is lower than the lever, normally fine for the first pull but will get softer every pull after that.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
Air in the system, no brakes will work properly if you dont bleed ALL the air out. I imagine in a wheelie air works its way into the lever being at the highest point. You normally need to rotate the lever body 30degrees forward and back when doing a lever bleed as air can get trapped and not come out if you just do it with levers in normal position.

moorey

call me Mia
If shimano are in need of a bleed, and have sat vertical (such as a bike rack) you can get that lever to the bar issue. Solution is a proper bleed.
The models for the last 10 years develop the metallic contamination after a while. Gives squishy and inconsistent lever feel. Bleed it all out occasionally and you’re sweet.
Alternatively, send me your shitty m785 and 8000’s.

moorey

call me Mia
Air in the system, no brakes will work properly if you dont bleed ALL the air out. I imagine in a wheelie air works its way into the lever being at the highest point. You normally need to rotate the lever body 30degrees forward and back when doing a lever bleed as air can get trapped and not come out if you just do it with levers in normal position.
Typed while you were typing. Yep, a proper bleed fixes.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Another happy M785/675 owner here, I've even run them with the caliper lower than the lever on a Billy cart without issues.
Same here. My M785s just work.

I am one of the rarities in the world of brakes as my old Juicy 7s haven't missed a beat either.

Touching all the wood as I can find as I speak :)

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I was coasting a nice wheelie in the car park made of hard tarmac, fucking lever went full bar randomally just when I was past my point. Looked like a complete goober and my arse and elbow took a mean hit. First time I've had it with this lever. My xt's on my DJer have a always been temperamental.
Shimano brakes are dead to me now!
Had the pleasure of a similar thing when practicing manuals down a nice gradual tarmac road. The bruise on my arse cheek was mooreyesque.

I'm seeing a theme here.

When I'm wheeling my bike through tight spaces on its back wheel, both my M8000 and M8100 levers will pull to the bar when the reservoir is lower than the lever, normally fine for the first pull but will get softer every pull after that.
My rear M9000 would do the same thing. I've got two sets and only one set would do this. No matter how I bled the bloody thing.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Had the pleasure of a similar thing when practicing manuals down a nice gradual tarmac road. The bruise on my arse cheek was mooreyesque.

My rear M9000 would do the same thing. I've got two sets and only one set would do this. No matter how I bled the bloody thing.
Of the 5 or 6 sets I have had only 1 did this but like you no matter how well I bled them it would occasionally just pull to the bar. I feel confident that air was in there but I could never get it out.