Brake Caliper Upgrade Options - Shimano v Shigura

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I've got 3 sets of shiguras now, definitely prefer these to any stock Shimano or magura set I've had. All 3 are zee levers (m640?) With mt5 calipers and hoses.

Changeover is simple enough. use the magura hose from the caliper up, snip the hose at the magura lever nut, use a Shimano olive/nut/cover, bleed it with a magura bleed kit.

I feel like it has a lot more modulation and power. Modulation is hard to argue with, but possibly pads account for some of the power gains? I've also started using cheap eBay pads for these with reasonable results. Power is still amazing, possibly eat through them quicker though. The pads ARE more of a pain to replace, and bleeding isn't as simple and mess free as Shimano, but personally I'm going to say it's worth it

Results may vary, and you'll struggle to find an AMB article comparing them to the latest offering from hope and SRAM, but I'm definitely team shigura

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I’ll second all of this. Shigura is not really necessary but it’s the best brake I’ve ever run. Zee levers to mt7 up front and mt8 out back was my setup but basic mt5 front and back would be really powerful

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Just going to leave this here.
I can see what they're saying about the lever reach. I have fairly big hands and I've had to wind the reach in a fair way.

But, no dimples and the price is just too much to go with. I thought the price was high for the levers themselves, but when you add the shipping...

Screenshot_20221107_201845_com.android.chrome.png

Jpez

Down on the left!
I can see what they're saying about the lever reach. I have fairly big hands and I've had to wind the reach in a fair way.

But, no dimples and the price is just too much to go with. I thought the price was high for the levers themselves, but when you add the shipping...

View attachment 394275
Shame on you mate. Price? I just put my finger over the price so I can’t see it when I’m buying shiny shit . Works every time!
But , Yeah they look sweet buy I did read a couple of complaints about them being too smooth of texture.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Umm hard to go past the M6120 as everyone has said. Ditch the resin pads for Uberbike race or e-matrix. Look at proper 200mm rotors, the Uberbike ones are good.

Or you can proceed straight past Go and spend an extra $200 and get Cura 4s.

I like the TRPs but given that they cost more than Cura 4s and have less power, it's a bit hard to recommend.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I have these on the Orange and they are awesome. Get the metal pads and enjoy the lovely sounds of rotor thickness being traded for stopping ;)

I was also running them on my roadie for a while with Ultegra levers and 140mm rotors!! Very silly, but damn they stopped well!! 140mm did cook pretty fast on long descents though, put 2 pot and 160mm on when i moved the 4 pots to the Orange and theyre a better roadie brake.