Boxxer spring weights

Viv92

Eats Squid
Hey I'm just wondering if the RS spring weights are accurate for the rider weights they recommend?

I am 75kg with gear which is right in the middle/high for the stock spring range. Should I run the stock springs or something softer?

Also how much is the solo air assembly or other springs?

Last edited:

cheggy

Likes Dirt
The standard spring is right for you. I am the same weight as you and put a softer spring in my boxxers. It felt good, but it felt better when I put the harder spring back in.

nskz

Likes Dirt
My experience is that Rockshox overestimate the spring rate/rider weight chart somewhat. However a few variables come into play; how you ride (plow stuff), what sort of riding you do (hucking off stuff/DH/FR), what levels of damping you run etc etc.

For my weight (70kg) I found the stock spring in my boxxer teams (yellow) far too heavy. It didn't run much sag at all when just sitting on the bike and I had to run zero clicks of low speed comp damping if I wanted to get close to using all the travel (I never used more than 7" with that spring).

I ended up going the full monty and getting the extra soft (white) spring and it's perfect (I also run about 8mm of preload spacers). Sag is now ~20-25% and I can run a nice amount of LSC and actually use the full amount of travel.

Suspension setup is a pretty subjective thing though, what suits one person may feel totally crapola to someone else.

udi

swiss cheese
Yeah I'd tend to side with the above post, the stock spring is fairly firm and doesn't really let you run much compression damping or use all the travel too easily. Maybe go for the soft spring, one step down from the medium.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
100kgs and the stock spring is right for me. For 75kgs I definately would not go heavier..

Viv92

Eats Squid
Yeah I'd tend to side with the above post, the stock spring is fairly firm and doesn't really let you run much compression damping or use all the travel too easily. Maybe go for the soft spring, one step down from the medium.
Off topic, but I forgot from today, how much do I tighten the expander wedge up?

If it makes any difference, I am pretty hack and tend to hammer my forks hard. From stuffing around on mates bike's the stock springs feel OK but they run minimal LSC. I want to run around 4-5 clicks.

What's the cheapest place to source springs? Will be 2nd hand if there is one up for grabs.

What year springs will it be compatible with? 06+?

Last edited:

tc2233

Likes Dirt
I run the standard (yellow) spring and I weigh 68kg personally i feel its the perfect setup. Because if you run a soft spring it makes it harder to pedal, bottoms out going around corners and it its harder to carry speed. To make the forks perform better use 3 clicks of compression. And if your using boxxer race forks you are probably better off buying boxxer team internals for $180 because its got the the high speed compression which makes a big difference on the fast rocky tracks like thredbo.

nskz

Likes Dirt
What's the cheapest place to source springs? Will be 2nd hand if there is one up for grabs.
A boxxer spring should set you back ~$60ish at your LBS, i'd say the second hand market value wouldn't be much different. Not sure if any company does cheap aftermarket springs but $60 doesn't seem over the top to me for genuine.

Viv92

Eats Squid
I run the standard (yellow) spring and I weigh 68kg personally i feel its the perfect setup. Because if you run a soft spring it makes it harder to pedal, bottoms out going around corners and it its harder to carry speed. To make the forks perform better use 3 clicks of compression. And if your using boxxer race forks you are probably better off buying boxxer team internals for $180 because its got the the high speed compression which makes a big difference on the fast rocky tracks like thredbo.
I've got teams. 3 clicks of compression does nothing. From a quick much around with boxxers I like 4-5.

S.

ex offender
I'm 93kg and run a yellow spring (sometimes red/firm if I want the front end to stand up a bit more or the track is very jumpy). There is no way that you should be on a spring that stiff at your weight, the stock springs are suitable for riders from about 85 to 100kg. If you're bottoming out a yellow spring going around corners, you're either hitting corners at Sam Hill speed with no finesse at all or, well, you're not actually bottoming out. Also, 3 clicks of compression on the Motion Control damper does nothing at all that I can tell, 4 gives you a bit of damping, 5 is tons, 6 is almost locked out and 7 is actually locked out.

You can modify Races very cheaply/easily to work as well as Teams, the only disadvantage is that you can't adjust the floodgate externally. Do a search for "boxxer nut mod" and you should find it.

Viv, you should be on a soft spring (silver I believe?).

demodv8

Likes Dirt
What year boxxers are they I'm about the same weight and I used one medium and one soft spring that worked for me .I still have the soft spring (silver) if your interested

ned the rider

Likes Dirt
Sorry to dig up this tread but it wasn't worth a new thread.
I am just wondering if a silver or white spring is suitable for me. I weigh 50kg probably 55 with all my gear on. The rockshox site recommends white spring for under 55 kg but i am going to grow and get heavier so if I got a white spring will it be good for a while or is it only good for under 55kg's.
also they are 2008 races
thanks

S.

ex offender
Sorry to dig up this tread but it wasn't worth a new thread.
I am just wondering if a silver or white spring is suitable for me. I weigh 50kg probably 55 with all my gear on. The rockshox site recommends white spring for under 55 kg but i am going to grow and get heavier so if I got a white spring will it be good for a while or is it only good for under 55kg's.
also they are 2008 races
thanks
Get the white spring, Rockshox springs tend to be rated for riders heavier than they actually claim. In actual fact the white spring will probably be fine up to 65kg or so.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah go Silver for sure. I'm probably 72 kgs with gear on and barely ever really bottom out even with a silver running 0 clicks of compression

Woops that was meant for Viv...