Box 9 speed

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Has anyone already, or tempted to, switched across from 11 and 12 speed to the 9 speed gear from Box?

The One and Two have been available for a while - now see MTDB are also stocking the Three. (There is a Four but it is 8 speed).

While it looks pretty awesome and only 365 grams for 11-50t, the One cassette is very expensive. The Two line is much more wallet friendly. The 11 speed cassettes were made by SunRace, so probably the same here (not sure though).

I really like the Box One 11 speed gear, but it didn't really take off and Microshift seems to be filling the "alterative drive train" role. I'm interested to see if Box sticks around in this 9-speed niche and whether it gets the reliable and simple reputation they are going for.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I'm very interested in the box 2 line when my complete driveline needs replacing. Would also like some reputable, real world reviews from burners.

I think they would be very robust and long lasting.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

clockworked

Like an orange
I'm waiting for the one level cassette to be ready. I'll probably order a one cassette and shifter and 2 level for the rest

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I have the Box 2 line planned for my next drivetrain replacement, but that's probably a bit premature at the moment. The Box one cassette looks nice, but it's a little bit rich for my blood.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
A friend just installed the Microshift Advent X and for $220 it looks the goods. Hasn't ridden it yet.
Another just bought the box two prime 9 and awaiting delivery.

I'll be most likely moving from Eagle to one of these.

nexusfish

El Mariachi
I had a look at these ages ago and I under stood that even though its 9 speed, they still used 11 speed sprockets and chains. I remember my old school 9 speed drivetrain lasting heaps longer than my current 11 speed stuff due to the diameter of sprockets and chains. That was what I was looking for on my training bike and enduro bike. I'd be very happy to cough up if I were getting greater durability.

Soul-Rider

Likes Dirt
I’ve been really happy with the box 7 speed kit. The derailer is a bit bulky but has been tough. I’m very keen on replacing my NX kit with the 9 Speed, but feel like I should probably wait until something breaks first. I find myself double shifting more often than not with the 12 speed so the 9 could be kind of cool.

binner

Hath shat hymself
been running box for a few years now, had a few issues early on with the push push shifter but all sorted now. Then they ditched the system anyhow. I am now running a 9 speed set up on my NS snabb. I went with the E drive system to try it out, the only diff is that E is a one shift per push as opposed to multi shift and it was way cheaper then the new prime 9, hasn't really been a drama for my style of riding but now I see Toby has come out with some more new gear. I have it laced to a Bolony 11-46 cassette which I'm pretty sure is the same company that makes BOX cassettes. The gearing on the bolony is a nice mix, i likey like.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
FWIW, not the 9 speed, but I've been really happy with the Box One 11 speed setup (with a SunRace cassette) (picked up derailleur from @binner). I wish it was more available to recommend - going to be expensive to replace anything broken I think. I guess they feel more competitive with the 9 speed niche though, hope more people jump on it!

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Have setup the later gen 7 speed and it was miles better than the gx equivalent. New build has the 11 speed 1 kit and looks to be bangon. Setup cost bugger all thanks to US ebay. Feels better than the X1 from the last bike. See how it goes under load when the frame arrives.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Have setup the later gen 7 speed and it was miles better than the gx equivalent. New build has the 11 speed 1 kit and looks to be bangon. Setup cost bugger all thanks to US ebay. Feels better than the X1 from the last bike. See how it goes under load when the frame arrives.
as long as you set up properly and do the dance BOX is sweet..... about to go BOX one again.... love the nine speed setup

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Box’s own ebay store or reseller?

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Box Two Prime 9 is around $75 for the shifter, $175 for the derailleur, $40 for a chain (from wiggle) and $100-$120 for a cassette (on ebay)

I see a few cheaper ones on ebay, but I didn't explore shipping etc. as well.

You could mix and match across the levels, so have a nicer shifter, or a cheaper cassette etc.

I've got no experience with the 9 speed, only the 11.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
This stuff is the same or more expensive than XT 12sp and shifts worse in all industry and user experience that I can see.

What's the appeal here?

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
This stuff is the same or more expensive than XT 12sp and shifts worse in all industry and user experience that I can see.

What's the appeal here?
Longevity, from what I can gather.

Sent from my SM-A205YN using Tapatalk

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I think in another thread I suggested that SLX/XT still best value - Box 11 spd has appeal of being different (& non-geoblocked) and able to use the same cassettes and chains as main brands. I also find it shifts really nice and wouldn't but performance as a negative (I haven't ridden a shimano drivetrain in years, so can't really compare, but its close to my X0). I've only had it on for a year or so, and on hardtail which I don't ride as much, so can't comment on how reliable it is over time.

The 9 speed, if its going to be a good option, has to be reliable above all else. Then it is its own niche of workhorse drivetrain that you can just set up once, and hopefully the thicker chain and steel cassette translates to longevity. But no experience with it, keen to try one day - hopefully by then other burners have tried it out :)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere

What's the appeal here?
Numerous reasons. We want diversity however 2 players get the lions share. If you don't support a wider range of brands we will never get it. Ive got personal beef with Shimano Australia's lack of support after years of trade work and piss poor service.

Srams geoblock is also a load of crap, seeing the prices sky-rocket only days after its effect took place and lack of stock from Monzas side (even as their largest australian GT dealer).

Also don't need 12 speed, I don't use half of the 11 speed range anyways, nor can I can be bothered getting a microspline freehub. The 9speed setup has a heap of potential if the chains are up to it.

Plus it'll look pretty with the other orange parts.