Box 3 Prime 9 Speed Groupset thoughts?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Building up a cheap small hardtail for the kids to use and for Jayne to hone her pumptrack skills.

Got everything but the drivetrain which I want to be 1x for simplicity as the kids and Jayne struggle with shifting. As it's getting hard to find 10 speed stuff, particularly with a decent size cassette and then having to get a goat link. 11 speed groupsets are expensive second hand and also harder to find so I'm tempted to pick up the Box 3 Prime 9 Groupset and give it a run.

Interested in peoples thoughts and experiences or should I just hunt up some old 10 speed stuff given I've got a derailleur already. its supposed to be another cheap build so price is my only concern given I'll need a crankset as well.

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
I've got it on my baby-hauling bike. It's pretty good for the price. I got the 11-46t cassette option.
I tested it out on some trails recently and the clutch seemed to do the job well over chattery stuff. It did slap on bigger hits but nothing concerning.
With box 3 the clutch tension is not adjustable and you can't switch it off/on. The latter didn't seem to cause any issues in getting the rear wheel on though.
Shifting felt solid and it was easy to dial in. You can shift 2 at a time going into easier gears but I think it's one at a time into the harder gears. I haven't really taken much notice of this function.
I like it. For the price the box 3 is perfectly usable, in future I might consider box 2 and if I was offered it for free (hah, like that would happen!) I'd totally rock box 1 in the 9 speed groupset.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I use the Box 3 Prime 9 groupset on my hardtail commuter. Used for 6 months so far and it works perfectly. As @Labcanary mentioned, the clutch is always on, but it seems to work well with a Narrow Wide Raceface chainring up front. Haven't dropped a chain yet and the shifting feels pretty good. Nice to have the range over the 11-46 cassette without the finicky setup and tuning of 11 or 12 speed.
Definitely good value for money. It does look a bit bigger and 'box'ier ;) than Shimano stuff.

M4RT0

Likes Bikes
When I was looking to upgrade my old Stumpy drive-train, the microSHIFT Advent had just come out and got some solid reviews (including Pinkbike), so I was seriously considering that - although, you need to buy the shifter to work with the derailleur.

Not super easy to get in Australia though and with the exchange rate/Australia tax I don't know if the cost makes it viable.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
When I was looking to upgrade my old Stumpy drive-train, the microSHIFT Advent had just come out and got some solid reviews (including Pinkbike), so I was seriously considering that - although, you need to buy the shifter to work with the derailleur.

Not super easy to get in Australia though and with the exchange rate/Australia tax I don't know if the cost makes it viable.
I think there were a few people on here who had some less than stellar experience with the micro shifts long term reliability. @moorey ?

gippyz

Likes Dirt
I ran 10spd microshift, and no major issues thus far (6 months). I managed to somehow lose the cap which activate/de-activate the clutch on the RD. Other than that, all is working well.

A mate managed to bend his 9 spd microshift cassette within few months of using. Warranty replacement was easy, but that experience was enough for him to say no more.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The cassette range looks good for me.
I am running 11 speed with a sunrace cassette that has a 40t to 46t jump. I tried running an xt with a 37t to 46t jump and the 37t was not enjoyable and I was between gears.
Any one tried the Box 50t cassette ?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green