Bowden Spur Kinglake - The rebuilding of a new legal DH riding facility.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, it's true. After close to two years of work behind the scenes with Parks Vic Kinglake we have finally been given the "Official" head office approval for a complete overhaul and the subsequent legalisation of the Bowden Spur DH track near Kinglake.

Awesome news for not only the DH riders of Melbourne but DH riders everywhere in Aus. It will only be the second public legal DH riding facility near Melbourne and the first one that is really shuttleable by vehicle.

At this stage there is still a hell of a lot of the planning process to be dealt with as well as raising as much funding as possible to help out in the many areas we will need funding for. Parks Vic only have a small budget to work with so with their help we will be applying for several Gov't community grants to assist us as well as looking for and working with several sponsors and supporters from all aspects of the cycling industry and community.

We plan to build a track that will cater for all levels of rider from the DH beginner and juniors all the way through to the most experienced Elite level riders. Glen Jacobs has walked the entire area, looked over the plans and proposal and was extremely postive about what is achievable out there and has offered World Trails full support and any advice we may need in all aspects of the plannning and building stages. Parking facilities will be made at the top as well to accomodate the higher levels of traffic as well as appropriate vehicle turning spaces. The current issues of erosion on the powerline access tracks have already been fixed with the help of a dozer and Powercore which was an achievement in itself as this was the first thing that needed attention to make it work. The track will also be realigned in several areas so as to not cross or interfere with Bowden Spur Rd anywhere which is an obvious problem at the moment in regards to vehicle conflict.

The plan at this stage is to start working bees at regular monthly intervals at the end of summer in March/April 2009, we need to get properly organised to hit the ground running and besides the soil is just too dry to build out there at this time of year anyway. It'll take a hell of a lot of work from a dedicated volunteer group and as many part time volunteers as possible, it's not going to be built in 6 months, it's going to take time and will be built in sections and opened when ready. The more money we raise the more machinery we can utilise which will make the job happen a lot quicker.

If your reading this and would like to help out in any way please do not hesitate to contact me via PM and register your interest and I will keep everyone updated as we get closer to starting work. I also urge anyone reading this who has been building out there recently to refrain from building any more. Parks Vic signage will be placed at the trail head in the coming weeks to deter any further building and a heads up as to whats happening.

So if you already ride Kingers, get excited cause it's gunna be a sick track when it's finished...

Benj

Likes Dirt
exciting stuff Wisey!

Congratulations on an amazing achievement!
I can only imagine the amount of effort, dedication and perseverance required.

cant wait to start slinging shovels!

Wake Jake

Eats Squid
Best news this year Wisey :) I was out there Thursday and there is a number of new things built from the wooden gap at the top to the new berms/track of to the side of the first section. To those that are buildig there stop now and save your energy and hard work for working on the new track next year. I know a lot of people ride 'Kingers' and will appreciate the news. So I urge everyone to lend a hand as this will help it get build quicker so everyone can ride it. Big props to Matt for his constant talks with Parks and other associated parties and the best way to show your appreciation/support is to PM Wisey and show your interest for building :) I know I'm stoked with the news and will be out there building whenever I can.

Last edited:

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thats great news. I live close during term time but have to go home in a week. Would be happy to help out though

indica

Serial flasher
Congratulations .... keep us informed I'm sure some of the Bendigo crew will be glad to help!!!!

carpo

Likes Bikes
when is a dig day

f'ing awsome that means that there will be a track for me to ride like 15 from my house ,that is f&$^ing the best news i have heard in ages . please let me know when there is a dig day i will so be there cant wait for it

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Congratulations mate! Thats awesome news. I've ridden there a couple of times and i will certaintly help out, might even chuck in a couple of dollars towards machinery and stuff.

Awesome news:)

kill_switch

Dead-set Idiot
i SHOULD have my licence soon so im real keen to come lend a hand. Sick news though.
Roughly how long a drive is it from the city?

-Brent

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome man. This will also help in my pledge for legal trails to be built in Gembrook. See the thread.

CeeBrady

Likes Bikes
Firstly, congratulations and thank you to Wisey and to the others involved in getting this project to this stage.
By the sound of things there is probably not yet a layout of the desired final track layout, when one comes about I’m sure we all would like to see it, I’m sure you are planning on keeping us informed of the progress anyway.
Well congratulations again and good luck with the rest of the project, hopefully I will be able to lend a hand at some stage.

Last edited:

Keyroo

Likes Bikes
Hey guys my mate and i headed out to kinglake yesterday for a ride, such a good track, saw the work thats going ahead, the ramp gap looks nuts! (going to have to work my way up to that one!) really looking forward to seeing what else will be done and i'd like to help aswell, post up when working bees are going on and i'll come up with a shovel and a hammer and give you guys a hand

who is in charge of the rebuild? if you want to PM me and let me know when i can come help that would be great

Matty

gbar

Likes Bikes
building already?

Hey guys, is the track going to remain rideable through the building process? Is the sanctioned building already happening? If so, that was super quick

Can pitch in, will check the trail building threads I guess to see when the build dates are.

Should get some photos up of any progress, I am sure many people will be interested in these most exciting developments,

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No work will commence on the track in an official capacity until the end of summer, the features and track layout as it stands at the minute will be changed quite dramatically for not only fun factor, flow and tech but for safety as well. Some, if not all of the exhisting features incl the wood gap will be removed and timber will only be used where absolutely neccessary. A large amount of rock and materials will be scavenged from local areas and quarries and trucked onto the site.

The first and third section will remain but with lots of modification, the open second section under the powerlines will be realigned to the left in the trees on a steeper section of hill, when you pop out onto the fire road near the wooden ramp you will drop into the left and follow the main road down to the start of the third section. At the end of the exhisting tight third section instead of riding down the fire trail the track will cross it and run parallel on the left on some really nice undulating flowy terrain and then finish down at Bowden Spur Rd right where the bottom section starts. This will be the finish of the track and turn around/pick up point and it won't cross the road or come into contact with the road at any point. The track will be between three and four mintues in length for good riders, closer to four we hope.

It'll be closed and built in sections during the building process and only opened when ready to be ridden. Of course everyone will be respectful of the work going on and won't ride the track until it is open I do hope, it will be signed and closed off anyway.

Thanks to all those that have offered their support either via PM or in this thread. I'll keep ya'll posted when we are closer to having things finalised and are ready to start work, in the meantime keep an eye on this thread.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
No work will commence on the track in an official capacity until the end of summer, the features and track layout as it stands at the minute will be changed quite dramatically for not only fun factor, flow and tech but for safety as well. Some, if not all of the exhisting features incl the wood gap will be removed and timber will only be used where absolutely neccessary. A large amount of rock and materials will be scavenged from local areas and quarries and trucked onto the site.

The first and third section will remain but with lots of modification, the open second section under the powerlines will be realigned to the left in the trees on a steeper section of hill, when you pop out onto the fire road near the wooden ramp you will drop into the left and follow the main road down to the start of the third section. At the end of the exhisting tight third section instead of riding down the fire trail the track will cross it and run parallel on the left on some really nice undulating flowy terrain and then finish down at Bowden Spur Rd right where the bottom section starts. This will be the finish of the track and turn around/pick up point and it won't cross the road or come into contact with the road at any point. The track will be between three and four mintues in length for good riders, closer to four we hope.

It'll be closed and built in sections during the building process and only opened when ready to be ridden. Of course everyone will be respectful of the work going on and won't ride the track until it is open I do hope, it will be signed and closed off anyway.

Thanks to all those that have offered their support either via PM or in this thread. I'll keep ya'll posted when we are closer to having things finalised and are ready to start work, in the meantime keep an eye on this thread.
A huge thankyou Wisey....huge thankyou for all yours and those involved efforts in getting this approved. Have you had any thoughts on how to raise money? This is something that could be done now. You know you have my help anytime you need it, once my leg heals!:D

Hux out!

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A huge thankyou Wisey....huge thankyou for all yours and those involved efforts in getting this approved. Have you had any thoughts on how to raise money? This is something that could be done now. You know you have my help anytime you need it, once my leg heals!:D

Hux out!
Hux,

We will be trying to secure some government grants as the main source for cash and will then also be relying on some sponsorship and donations from a couple of places ( wholesalers, retailers ) which we are already negotiating with.

If you have any spare time atm and would like to help out by all means feel free to see whats available out there for us in any way, shape or form. Every bit of help and money we can get will obviously make our job easier and make the track come together quicker, the main thing we need cash for is machine hire and materials plus to feed and hydrate the masses of volunteers we hope to turn up to the build days.

And Ozz, knock yourself out mate, we will need all the digging machines we can get bro...

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hux,

We will be trying to secure some government grants as the main source for cash and will then also be relying on some sponsorship and donations from a couple of places ( wholesalers, retailers ) which we are already negotiating with.

If you have any spare time atm and would like to help out by all means feel free to see whats available out there for us in any way, shape or form. Every bit of help and money we can get will obviously make our job easier and make the track come together quicker, the main thing we need cash for is machine hire and materials plus to feed and hydrate the masses of volunteers we hope to turn up to the build days.

And Ozz, knock yourself out mate, we will need all the digging machines we can get bro...
I have the time at the moment Wisey, just sittin on the couch watchin NFL on Foxtel, PM me and let me know what I can offer companies in return for their $$$$, and I'll get on it for you.

Hux-a-limpalotus