Boutique titanium frame market and factories.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Agree with you Dr @beeb with boutique brands frames pushing $6k or more, complete bikes with GX or Deore in the $8-10k range it’s truly nuts. Unlikely once ol COVID settles down we will see prices drop either. It’s the new normal I guess. Just a big steaming pile of horse poo really. Off to shout at some clouds.
I'm reading through some of these posts about Ti frames, Waltly and boutique brands, as some know I work at one.

Anyway a bit of info if anyone is interested.

You find a few OEM's in the boutique frame market, some make there own but not many. Some just wack a design together and get a cheap Chinese company to knock up a frame. Anyone can do that but the key is finding a good factory and I can tell you most of the good ones don't deal public direct.

Some frame builders actually invest in development, testing to ISO4210, fatigue test , stiffness test ,and impact test. Some do FEA, the list goes on and it cost truck loads so adding to the final price of that 4k frame. (Although ours are not 4k)

So when someone has a wing about the extra cost this all cost money but also get the rider a much better product, of course it adds to the cost from some cheap frame.

A few frame builders if anyone is interested.

ORA are the go to Taiwanese company for production of titanium frames and they also do stainless steel and steel. The catch is the MOQ is about 100 frames per SIZE frame (steel) and lead time is over 18 months. I was going to do a steel version of a Ti frame we do the Nero Ti but with the MOQ decided not too.

Waltly well It seams a fair few of you know Waltly and Sumi, and they deal customer direct, they are a small player in the frame market in SEA and do a reasonable frame but you really need to provide your own design and check the drawings. They don't provide testing or double butted tubes from what I know..

XACD in North China, Probably one of the highest quality but also the most expensive and interesting to work with, these guys are lunatics to work with and if you are able to get past the design / order stage good luck. They are a massive set up and I have worked with them. Lead time closer to 9 months.

Titan also in North China, one of the big 3 builders in China and work with a fair few OEM's. They are currently doing 250 Ti frames per month, lead time about 8 months. Still taking 2022 orders but not for long.

Hi Light again North China, these guys are possibly the biggest and one of the best Ti OEM factory in the world, also the oldest and with a MOQ of 200 frames per year. They build frames for a fair few of the well known OEM's. They provide all the testing services. No new orders until 2023 but most OEM's have the 2022 orders in.

A lot of OEM's use ORA and Hi light. From what I was told by a employee at Hi Light ORA are too busy so off loaded all the smaller OEM's as in company's that maybe buy 500 frames a year, some of these OEM's went to Hi Light then Hi Light became too busy with 5,000 frames to get finished in 2022 cutting off all new orders and telling smaller OEM's they cannot do work for them in 2022.
A bunch of small OEM's went to Titan pushing the lead time out from 3 months earlier in the year to now around 8 months and then Waltly, hence Waltly stopped taking direct to customer orders awhile back.

Just a bit of info if anyone is interested.

Last edited:

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Great stuff. Out of interest do you know who Stanton got their steel / ti frames made through before they moved production in house?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Some frame builders actually invest in development, testing to ISO4210, fatigue test , stiffness test ,and impact test. Some do FEA, the list goes on and it cost truck loads so adding to the final price of that 4k frame. (Although ours are not 4k)
So do Roost undertake the above through your factory of choice?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I'm reading through some of these posts about Ti frames, Waltly and boutique brands, as some know I work at one.

You find a few OEM's in the boutique frame market, some make there own but not many. Some just wack a design together and get a cheap Chinese company to knock up a frame. Anyone can do that but the key is finding a good factory and I can tell you most of the good ones don't deal public direct.

So when someone has a wing about the extra cost this all cost money but also get the rider a much better product, of course it adds to the cost from some cheap frame.

ORA are the go to Taiwanese company for production of titanium frames and they also do stainless steel and steel. The catch is the MOQ is about 100 frames per SIZE frame (steel) and lead time is over 18 months. I was going to do a steel version of a Ti frame we do the Nero Ti but with the MOQ decided not too.

Waltly well It seams a fair few of you know Waltly and Sumi, and they deal customer direct, they are a small player in the frame market in SEA and do a reasonable frame but you really need to provide your own design and check the drawings. They don't provide testing or double butted tubes from what I know..

XACD in North China, Probably one of the highest quality but also the most expensive and occasionally ‘interesting’ to work with, these guys are lunatics to work with and if you are able to get past the design / order stage good luck. They are a massive set up and I have worked with them. Lead time closer to 9 months.

Titan also in North China, one of the big 3 builders in China and work with a fair few OEM's. They are currently doing 250 Ti frames per month, lead time about 8 months. Still taking 2022 orders but not for long.

Hi Light again North China, these guys are possibly the biggest and one of the best Ti OEM factory in the world, also the oldest and with a MOQ of 200 frames per year. They build frames for a fair few of the well known OEM's. They provide all the testing services. No new orders until 2023 but most OEM's have the 2022 orders in.

A lot of OEM's use ORA and Hi light. From what I was told by a employee at Hi Light ORA are too busy so off loaded all the smaller OEM's as in company's that maybe buy 500 frames a year, some of these OEM's went to Hi Light then Hi Light became too busy with 5,000 frames to get finished in 2022 cutting off all new orders and telling smaller OEM's they cannot do work for them in 2022.
A bunch of small OEM's went to Titan pushing the lead time out from 3 months earlier in the year to now around 8 months and then Waltly, hence Waltly stopped taking direct to customer orders awhile back.

Thanks for the information @Ash HT it's interesting to hear about the different manufacturers and their production abilities.

When I was speaking to Waltly about double butting they said they used to use it but not any more. They said it was not worth the hassle as it was mainly for weight saving and Ti was generally light enough. I don't know enough to know whether this is accurate or not or if double butting give additional properties other than just weight savings.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
The benefit of a double butted frame are that the mid section of the tube is thinner and allows the tube to flex when stressed. Making the frame have a longer life. Also the frame reacts a lot better.

A butted tube allows the welder a extra margin of error at the joints because the thicker wall tube more closely matches the strength of the weld and also helps to distribute loads more evenly throughout the joint area.

In our Nero & Dominator frames we use both types of tubes in the same frame, double butted in certain parts of the frame that gives it the ride quality.

Double butted tubes add around $100 USD to a frame cost, I guess that's why some don't use it.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Has anyone ever had a stainless steel frame? I know nothing about stainless frames but would be interested to see one or know how it preforms.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

XACD in North China, Probably one of the highest quality but also the most expensive and interesting to work with, these guys are lunatics to work with and if you are able to get past the design / order stage good luck. They are a massive set up and I have worked with them. Lead time closer to 9 months.

Thanks @Ash HT lots of interesting details. Be interesting to know about the carbon factories.

My comment that you quoted mainly stems from the fact the bike I am still riding I bought 9 years ago. Boutique carbon brand and cost me $3500 for the frame. Understand inflation/conversion rates/moulds/ R&D and other costs but to buy a frame from the same manufacturer I would be looking close to $6k for a frame today. Just seems costs are on the rise and no slowing down.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Thanks @Ash HT lots of interesting details. Be interesting to know about the carbon factories.

My comment that you quoted mainly stems from the fact the bike I am still riding I bought 9 years ago. Boutique carbon brand and cost me $3500 for the frame. Understand inflation/conversion rates/moulds/ R&D and other costs but to buy a frame from the same manufacturer I would be looking close to $6k for a frame today. Just seems costs are on the rise and no slowing down.
I didn't mean to single you out in the first post it was just the first one from that thread I took.

I don't know much about carbon frames but small builders will always be more expensive due to volumes. I would say better service and product in a lot of cases too.

I cannot see prices slowing down, or lead times getting any better. Cane Creek are telling me now that OEM orders are into late next year and I need to get orders in.

Shipping pre covid for my other business Thailand to Perth cost me 11% its now 19%

#fucovid

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Great post, thanks! Which company do you work at?

are you with Roost?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I didn't mean to single you out in the first post it was just the first one from that thread I took.

I don't know much about carbon frames but small builders will always be more expensive due to volumes. I would say better service and product in a lot of cases too.

I cannot see prices slowing down, or lead times getting any better. Cane Creek are telling me now that OEM orders are into late next year and I need to get orders in.

Shipping pre covid for my other business Thailand to Perth cost me 11% its now 19%

#fucovid
Yeah shipping is a mess up 300% China to Australia and up 500% China to Europe. Also not going to get better any time soon.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Has anyone ever had a stainless steel frame? I know nothing about stainless frames but would be interested to see one or know how it preforms.
Have ridden a sweet genesis volare 931 - not mine, just test riding a mates. To be honest I can't tell if the bike genuinely felt better than my straight tube watly or if it was the huge boner I had whle riding it the whole time.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I hope international flights when we start to travel don't have these increases...
Hopefully not. The primary reason shipping is so messed up is the empty containers are in the wrong place and our ports are inefficient + outdated infrastructure + increasing volumes etc. Fingers crossed airfreight doesn't encounter the same issues.

Ash HT

Likes Bikes
Hopefully not. The primary reason shipping is so messed up is the empty containers are in the wrong place and our ports are inefficient + outdated infrastructure + increasing volumes etc. Fingers crossed airfreight doesn't encounter the same issues.
I spent the last few months changing our shipping modal because of this. Now warehouse in China and ship from a Fulfillment center.

E.g Titanium handle bars I would ship to Perth in a box of 100 by air, pay duty and customs fees, its a dumb way to do it. Then post to customers mainly overseas. It would cost $27 to send handle bars from Perth to USA and Canada.

Now I send to the Fulfillment center and about $20 a box of 100 handle bars, no duty or customs except stuff that comes from USA or Taiwan but I'm working on that. The fulfillment company charge me $16.90 to warehouse, pack, label, put in a custom sexy box and ship to most destinations. Much the same deal with all products and no rent or stock management.

If it wasn't for changing this way we would have had to increase the retail and trade prices on all products.

The world is changing.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy

#fucovid
All good and yes fark Covid. Dreaming of a new bike and doing my Googling there is huge delays on parts. Rock Shox March’ish Cane Creek some in Jan then later in the 22.

Shipping is the killer as it applies to everything from raw materials to shipping parts and it all adds up and is passed onto the consumer.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No idea about stainless steel but I thought it would be problematic due to being more brittle than carbon steel.

I've ridden some pretty fancy Deodaccai, Reynolds and Columbus frames and honestly prefer the feel of Ti. The steel tends to have a more muted feel compared to the slight spring of my Lynskey Ti frames.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk