Bottom Bracket Conundrum

treble

Likes Dirt
Im giving my Commencal Meta AM a complete rebuild and thought I would throw a Wheels Mfg thread together BB in to replace the standard bb92 pressfit.
Seems the frame has a boxed off section in the BB shell which doesnt allow the slightly wider center section of the Wheels Mfg bracket to go in without distorting and completely rooting the BB.
Does anyone have any experience with either the hope or praxis variants? do they have a similaly wide center section compared to a standard BB92?
the pics attached illustrate what im on about. Ignore the slightly munted shape of the old bb92 bracket - got too excited with my new park bb removal tool.

Attachments

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bugger. I can't help you with the dimensions of the other but if you want to unload the Wheels MFG one let me know.

treble

Likes Dirt
Bugger. I can't help you with the dimensions of the other but if you want to unload the Wheels MFG one let me know.
Yeah maybe, what cranks you running? I bought two. One for Sram gxp and one for 24mm Shimano. The Sram is untouched.
But I tried to install the shimano one, id have to clean all the grease off and give it a good look to check its not cross threaded

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
why would they do this?..this puts Commencal in the same league as the useless fuckers that invented Press Fit in the first place.
good luck with that!

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah maybe, what cranks you running? I bought two. One for Sram gxp and one for 24mm Shimano. The Sram is untouched.
But I tried to install the shimano one, id have to clean all the grease off and give it a good look to check its not cross threaded
Oh, probably should have thought of that. It's for 30mm cranks so no good.

Jpez

Down on the left!
why would they do this?..this puts Commencal in the same league as the useless fuckers that invented Press Fit in the first place.
good luck with that!
I’ve pondered that myself. They proudly make an unbreakable and unapologetically heavy bike and go and stick a press fit BB in it. Doesn’t make any sense. Surely can’t be that much more expensive and cost prohibitive for pricing budget to put in a proper threaded bb.

treble

Likes Dirt
good luck with that!
Yeah seems odd. It’s only just too tight clearance.
I’ve honestly never had an issue with press fit bb’s. Especially on this frame. I just figured I’d upgrade it. Guess it’s back to standard press fit for me

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
If pf92 is the same as bb92. Then the bracket I have is for that too
PF92 and BB92 are likely the same thing, however for completely inexplicable reasons there are both 41mm and 42mm bores, with 41 being the more common. This might contribute to the different designations.

In either case, the screw-together models will have a larger central sleeve diameter than press-in models purely due to the overlapped inner & outer threaded sleeves. If the frame construction won't allow the fatter sleeve through, you're pretty well stuck with the shit press-fit unless you feel like doing some frame surgery (which is generally not recommended).

Minlak

custom titis
PF92 and BB92 are likely the same thing, however for completely inexplicable reasons there are both 41mm and 42mm bores, with 41 being the more common. This might contribute to the different designations.

In either case, the screw-together models will have a larger central sleeve diameter than press-in models purely due to the overlapped inner & outer threaded sleeves. If the frame construction won't allow the fatter sleeve through, you're pretty well stuck with the shit press-fit unless you feel like doing some frame surgery (which is generally not recommended).
What is wrong with you people lately? - One guy is don't buy this - Another guy is use it til it breaks - and now your suggesting not to cut bits off a frame - Talk about becoming a NANNY STATE

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
What is wrong with you people lately? - One guy is don't buy this - Another guy is use it til it breaks - and now your suggesting not to cut bits off a frame - Talk about becoming a NANNY STATE
New bike time.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
Finally - You can apply for the VIP membership to the site now. Keep up the god work!
If I could truly do God's work, there would never be frame manufacturing defects, or poor customer service.

I guess God has no place in America.

Minlak

custom titis
If I could truly do God's work, there would never be frame manufacturing defects, or poor customer service.

I guess God has no place in America.

He is too busy giving kids cancer to be trifled with cycling