Boot-mount bike carrier... Thought's?

wombat

Lives in a hole
There's lots of versions of the strap on style carriers, and IME they vary between 'passable' and 'dangerously shit'. Even the better ones (which will easily cost a few hundred $$) aren't something I'd choose unless there's no other options, but when it comes to the cheap ones I'd probably rather take both wheels out and jam the bike in the passengers seat.

That said, plenty of people seem to get around with them, so maybe I'm just being paranoid.
What sort of car are you looking at fitting it to?

wombat

Lives in a hole
Dont bother with a boot mount rack if your anal about your paint or have black paint (like me). Mine seem to leave the tiniest scratches that would only bother 1% of people... like me.
Also, check how sturdy the boot/tailgate on your car is. Had a customer return the Thule Bones-ripoff after the foot dented the tailgate on his Subaru at the first bump he hit, and I've test fitted a fair few others that had the same problem, mostly newer hatches and mini-SUVs.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
G'day Gent's, and ladies...

Looking at cheap option's for carting the bike around. (Mrs can't justify me getting a towbar fitted, or roof-rack's :mmph: )

I was looking at this setup, has anyone got/had one?
Thought's on it?
It's under 1/10th the price of getting a bar or rack's fitted.

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CARNNBM/title/torpedo7-boot-mount-bike-rack

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have used one of these a few times, bit of a pita to put on, so it not ever a 4 minute job to load your bike. Don't ever store them in the sunlight because straps have been known to perish over a few years. We ve used ours on a black cx7 and it has no marks or signs that it has been on .

Good occasional use' not an option fOr weekly use IMO - get roof racks for that, because they can be transferred from car to car ( especially the bike carrier part)

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Will be going onto my VE Dunnydore, I've pulled the wing off.

Cheer's for the replies.
Mate, for a ve, setups go on eBay all the time- $440 the other day for near new whisbars and Thule pro ride *2. Nice common roof rack and direct fit as well

wombat

Lives in a hole
Will be going onto my VE Dunnydore, I've pulled the wing off.

Cheer's for the replies.
Just a thought, but keep an eye of fleabay, you might be a chance of picking up set of roof racks like this for under $100. Still dearer I know, and you need to add a bike carrier but might be worth considering. Roof racks are a lot more flexible if you need to carry other stuff too.

Even better, buy this: you get the racks and carrier, and if the misses doesn't like it you can look her in the roof box! :p

Last edited:

EXSSVE

Likes Dirt
.......THULE-ROOF-BOX-Ocean-200-with-Thule-Roof-racks-and-a-Thule-Bike-rack-/171030120152?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d23086d8"]this[/URL]: you get the racks and carrier, and if the misses doesn't like it you can look her in the roof box! :p
Legend... Cheer's.

I actually never thought of looking on Fleabay..I do for most other thing's.... Cheer's for the head's up.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
I havnt been riding that long , and used those things for my first bike , a cheap hardtail, and the straps used to slowly work their way loose, was a bit dodgy

Have since upgraded my bike, a dually worth $4,500, and I have never used them since

ChopSticks

Banned
PLEASE for your own safety and others do not buy cheap boot mount racks

I had one fail on me..... snapped the buckles over a speed hump (a tad fast on my part) bike fell off (still attached to the rack and got dragged 15m as I slowed down safely (cunt tailgated me) and lucky it didnt fuck his car up

I now run a Saris bones 3 and try to aviod using it when possible... I trust the Saris will hold the 3 bikes, but I only ever carry one just to be safe !

WARNING: From tightening the straps over the last year of use, I have discovered my boot lid is ever so slightly bent/misaligned and now closing the boot takes abit of effort. (no I do not drive Korean tin can)

If i was given the choice I would run a rear rack off the towball (something I dont have) and roof racks if it suits your car

Good luck :)

redbruce

Eats Squid
I havnt been riding that long , and used those things for my first bike , a cheap hardtail, and the straps used to slowly work their way loose, was a bit dodgy

Have since upgraded my bike, a dually worth $4,500, and I have never used them since
Wise man. Only good for infrequent use (and I have one of the > $100 versions).

I have one of these to use on hire cars when I travel to hold the most expendable bike in the fleet- my (old Norco HT based) touring bike.

Originally used on my earlier cars, I now wouldn't use it on a car I care about (not if but when paint is damaged, boot lid flexes stressing hinges/ locks, easy bend modern panel work, etc).

Others have pointed out the issues, and, as also recommended, go fleabay for a roof mount system, although if you are handy with your hands, fitting a second hand tow bar from wreckers or FB is worth considering.

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
I think they're ok

I have one of these: http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/...lypage_images.tpl&product_id=54&category_id=7

It's not the Saris Bones which S14 mentioned, but a cheaper Saris model.

Supposed to be able to hold 3 bikes, but I've only ever had two on it.

Pros:
Super easy to get on and off (about 60s each).
Plenty of room for the bike.
Reasonably stable around corners and on the highway (have done Sydney-Canberra, Sydney-Hunter Valley, a number of times).

Cons:
Scratches the paint a little.
Looks a bit alarming in the rear view mirror because the bikes get a bit horizontal when you're travelling at speed.

For safety back-up, I always have a tether around the bikes and another part of the car.

I think it depends very much on whether the particular rack suits your car. My car's an older, boxier sedan and the rack seems to sit really well. Can imagine with something newer, rounder etc it might be less stable.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Looking at cheap option's for carting the bike around. (Mrs can't justify me getting a towbar fitted, or roof-rack's :mmph: )
Exssve a better option may be to purchase a low cost tow bar for your VE and then a decent bicycle carrier that will at least deliver more secure service. By definition, anything that relies on a strap to secure a load will loosen with vibration and fail eventually. Plenty of used tow bars for a VE around and they are cheap cheap cheap.

MARKL

Eats Squid
IMO the only viable boot mounted bike carrier is the carpet inside your boot, otherwise throw an old doona over the back seat.

Looks a bit alarming in the rear view mirror because the bikes get a bit horizontal when you're travelling at speed.
Wow...just wow...I don't know what to say but you still think this is a good idea?

Last edited:

JRXS

Squid
I use the Saris Bones RS (http://www.saris.com/en/bike-racks/vehicle-racks/trunk-racks/bones-rs.html) and its one of the most secure trunk/boot mounted racks I have ever used (Toyota Camry). It is way more secure than my mate's towball mounted unit, with almost zero movement if you are only carrying one MTB. I have taken 3 MTBs, and the movement is minimal, remembering to put the heaviest bike towards the inside of the rack. Scratching from the mount pads is very minimal, and if you are really worried about it, get some clear vinyl to cover the areas that they go over.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I would definately recommend the tow ball option. I got one for my Honda Jazz and it is awesome.

I have the two prong Jet Black bike carrier and it is very quick to get bikes on and off. And for a shorty like me (I can't reach a roof rack to safely put a bike on) a god send.

I also can go to IKEA and purchase what ever I like now - the Jazzs are good for getting stuff in, but now we have a kiddies seat I have been a bit limited. No longer. Just whack on the ol' box trailer and off I go.

Also the Jazz can tow up to 800kg - just enough for the parent's flash camper trailer. One of these days I will actually take it out :) Yes, it would be slow, but doable. I once saw (in the early 2000's) a gutless 80's honda civic pull a trailer loaded with DH bikes (back when they were all 22kg+) with four guys inside up very steep roads. All cars should come with tow balls.

In short, tow balls are the most useful item I have ever added to a car. It cost me around $400 to get it installed and another $150 for the Jet Black prong thingy. You'll be spending around $300(?) for a decent booth rack anyway.

Do the math and mention IKEA and Bunnings a lot

Last edited:

bloodpuddle

Likes Bikes
Have a cup of tea

Wow...just wow...I don't know what to say but you still think this is a good idea?
Calm down. I did say that the bike is separately tethered to the car. It's not going anywhere. And I've also seen bikes on tow bar mounted racks twist and turn, and bikes on roof racks shaking side to side. Air rushing past at 100km/h will do that.

Delmar

Likes Dirt
Calm down. I did say that the bike is separately tethered to the car. It's not going anywhere. And I've also seen bikes on tow bar mounted racks twist and turn, and bikes on roof racks shaking side to side. Air rushing past at 100km/h will do that.
I'm with Markl, having seen several bikes come off, half off, fall onto roofs of cars, etc etc, there's no way I'd tolerate my bikes 'flowing in the breeze' so to speak. That would scare me (seeing them twist and turn the same)! I suspect you might look back at some point and be a little surprised you thought it was OK...

I'm a no vote for boot racks, spend the cash (if you can) on a good roof carrier and bars. If you get flat bars they're usually pretty transferable to other vehicles with minimum spend.

I like these guys. Aussie company and price more reasonable than some: http://www.rhinorack.com.au/Index.aspx

Even better is a grip sport hi-ride, but you need a tow bar for that (I love mine).

Last edited:

Ozkaban

Likes Dirt
I've used a number of cheapies. One broke, one tha bike came off in the wind and a saris solo where the bike blew around too much.

I but the bullet and bought a Thule clip on (uses metal straps), it's high mount so the number plate and lights are still visible and the bike is supported by the wheels and a frame clamp. The model is 9106
http://www.thule.com.au/details.php?p_id=65

Bit expensive and is car model specific. Mine fits my corolla hatch and Toyota Avensis.

Buy quality and you'll only cry once...