Bomber Z2 (current model) thoughts? Or other budget 120mm forks?

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Just wondering if anyone has any real world feedback on the current Marzocchi Z2 bombers with the RAIL damper?

This would be for a Stanton hardtail designed to accept 100-130mm forks. Interested in this fork partly because I already have all the tools (and spare seals) to service a Fox 34, so should save a bit of money there.

Would be replacing a Reba at 100mm. Have also experimented with a 130mm Factory 34 on this bike however this felt like too much travel (wrong offset too at 51mm). So I'd be especially interested to hear comparisons to the MoCo damper (shit) and FIT4.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Rode one briefly on a Vitus hardtail and wasn't impressed, felt stiff and doughy. Might have just been poor setup though.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
You could probably get a new csu with a shorter offset for your 34 for less than a z2. Also what year model 34 is it? The newer 2017+ (I think) you can shorten the airspring by cuting and re drilling the pin hole for the airspring head.

slimjim1

All very tempting however the 34 is on one of my other bikes I am about to sell.

The Reba's are from a previous hardtail which I essentially used as a gravel bike, so the shortcomings weren't so obvious. However because the Stanton is much more capable on actual trails they are starting to feel outgunned.

On top of that the CSU seems to be creaking which is more obvious now due to being ridden harder and the fact that Stanton is such a quiet bike.

So essentially I'm chasing a 100-120mm 42 or 44mm offset fork, which is more stout and has better damping than an RS Reba, without going overboard for a 'budget' hardtail.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
All very tempting however the 34 is on one of my other bikes I am about to sell.

The Reba's are from a previous hardtail which I essentially used as a gravel bike, so the shortcomings weren't so obvious. However because the Stanton is much more capable on actual trails they are starting to feel outgunned.

On top of that the CSU seems to be creaking which is more obvious now due to being ridden harder and the fact that Stanton is such a quiet bike.

So essentially I'm chasing a 100-120mm 42 or 44mm offset fork, which is more stout and has better damping than an RS Reba, without going overboard for a 'budget' hardtail.
27.5 0r 29?

SR Suntour make some good high end forks as well as the cheap crap you see on every entry level bike. I have been on a Durolux for 2 years and its great.

They are low on stock at the moment (who isn’t) bit there is this in 29:
https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/enduro-all-mountain/products/auron-rc2-pcs-15qlc-29

Or 27.5:
https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/enduro-all-mountain/products/auron-rc2-pcs-15qlc-27-5

Or something a little racier in 29:
https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/xc-marathon-forks/products/axon-werx-f-rl-rc-15qlc-ti

Or a bit less carbon infused in either 27.5 or 29:
https://www.srsuntour.us/collections/xc-marathon-forks/products/test-axon-lo-rc-15qc

slimjim1

Over the last 2 days I've had the bike upside down trying the old loctite retaining compound trick on the reba CSU and steerer tube.

This afternoon the creaking seemed to disappear...until I got to the top of Stromlo. After coming back down, the creaking and popping sounds started again, firstly under hard braking, then under more regular compression etc.

So Z2s have been ordered. The comment about the Rhythms is encouraging as the ones I have tried have been better than my factory fit4 34s. If the Z2's are anything like that should be happy days.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Over the last 2 days I've had the bike upside down trying the old loctite retaining compound trick on the reba CSU and steerer tube.

This afternoon the creaking seemed to disappear...until I got to the top of Stromlo. After coming back down, the creaking and popping sounds started again, firstly under hard braking, then under more regular compression etc.

So Z2s have been ordered. The comment about the Rhythms is encouraging as the ones I have tried have been better than my factory fit4 34s. If the Z2's are anything like that should be happy days.
They share an air shaft, so that’s interchangeable. The Rail damper is super simple and it’s really set-and-forget.
I’ve had no creaks or anything from mine at all - although I don’t ride hard I am >100kg and don’t have great (any) line choice or finesse and they’ve been great. Had them over a year now