Body weight exercises to improve climbing and endurance?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
there are different approaches to squatting - powerlifting and big squats are all about building to a 1RM and it doesn't transfer to climbing well, whereas dropping to half the weight and doing 8 reps+ it would be much more beneficial for the bike. I've got a decent squat at the moment but my mtb climbing has suffered a lot in the process of getting to that (and I'm a bit heavier too), but that's my focus at the moment.

cross training is the best - fittest and lightest I've ever been is when I was boxing + mtb, and before that I was trail running and riding and the hills were much much easier. I've never been great though, just better than hopeless :)
Any fitness is going to make you better on the bike, my mate is not a power lifter but sets himself goals to reach at the gym.

I would say if you a rider and ride a certain amount and then additionally go to the gym to help your riding out, still retaining the same amount of riding, it will be very beneficial. Just not replacing your bike time with big lifts and expecting to fly up hills on that one ride a week.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Or after that one time the brain is like, holy crap he is serious about this, better send some repair guys to upgrade the legs. Notice how you never bonk on the same ride twice?
Sometimes I do sadly, if the temp is really high. It's quite annoying as I can feel I have more fitness, but the body goes into a kind of "limp mode" on the really hot days (better that than collapsong from heat exhaustion I guess, but still...). Spring and Autumn are my happy times.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Sometimes I do sadly, if the temp is really high. It's quite annoying as I can feel I have more fitness, but the body goes into a kind of "limp mode" on the really hot days (better that than collapsong from heat exhaustion I guess, but still...). Spring and Autumn are my happy times.
And then that day when its hot as F@@k and you are doing really well, right on threshold but loving it, 200m from the top, a smashed up dead roo is a week into decomposition and it turns to shit :p

SPEEEEEEEEEEW !

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Sometimes I do sadly, if the temp is really high. It's quite annoying as I can feel I have more fitness, but the body goes into a kind of "limp mode" on the really hot days
Yeah same here, heat exhaustion is different though. I've had to resort to salt tabs a l lately.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
When you think you are spent take a breath, compose yourself, then go again. Repeat.

You are capable of so much more than you think you are. It's just your brain being overprotective. The body will keep going.

Until you realise this and implement the psychological change you will progress much slower than you want or are capable of and run the risk of a dummy spit and a bike covered in dust.

Basically, the body will do what it's told (up to a point which is quite hard to reach btw). Grit...mongrel...heart...call it what you will.

Last edited:

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
When you think you are spent take a breath, compose yourself, then go again. Repeat.

You are capable of so much more than you think you are. It's just your brain being overprotective. The body will keep going.

Until you realise this and implement the physiological change you will progress much slower than you want or are capable of and run the risk of a dummy spit and a bike covered in dust.

Basically, the body will do what it's told (up to a point which is quite hard to reach btw). Grit...mongrel...heart...call it what you will.
What about when your legs cramp up and refuse to move as requested?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
All I can offer is don't expect overnight gains. Consistency is everything, and for most part improvement comes with the repeated work. I can ride 200km a week because I ride 200km a week. If I have a week or so off, my first rides back and horribly slow and with a sky high heart rate.

So pick a hill, ride at a fast pace but not so hard you don't make the top, and repeat at least once but preferably twice a week. Improve comes from regularly subjecting your body to more stress than it's used to. But not more than it can handle. There is a difference

Gains will be slow, but they will come.

Last edited:

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
What about when your legs cramp up and refuse to move as requested?
If you know you are going out to make an effort then diet and hydration should be considered prior to help reduce cramping. Otherwise lick your mates sweaty parts then request your legs move again lol.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Have you ensured that you're also working on your technique/efficiency?

After 5 months of eff all riding, I was struggling the first few rides back.
I've had a significant (>40%) drop in peak power (pinchy hills) which has also meant that my pedalling technique is all over the shop (trying to stamp too much - pedalling squares).
I've been doing some focussed work on flat ground, making sure that my spin is efficient and I'm dragging full circles, this has drastically helped.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm taking all this in, thanks for the advice all :)

I have a nice hill near me which take about 5-10 minutes to climb.

A 15 minute drive away is a total bastard of a climb (Lake Morris Road) -

Ackland

chats d'élevage
I'm taking all this in, thanks for the advice all :)

I have a nice hill near me which take about 5-10 minutes to climb.

A 15 minute drive away is a total bastard of a climb (Lake Morris Road) -
356m over 12km... Oh please.
Surely you have a real hill nearby