BMX Olympian breaks a record by winning two world titles in 56 days

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
20130921_746_crobertson.jpg

In a world first, BMX World Champion, Caroline Buchanan has secured her second rainbow jersey in two months. Buchanan dominated the World Four Cross Championships in Leogang ,Austria winning the elite women’s title overnight.

This world title is Buchanan’s fifth in just five years. In 2009 at just 17 years of age she claimed the elite Four Cross World Championships then backed up in 2010 with another win. In 2012 she claimed the BMX Time Trial world title. Since July this year she has won the BMX World Title in New Zealand and today the Four Cross World Title.

Buchanan is the youngest athlete to have won five elite world championships by the age of 22 years old. She is also the second women cyclists to win two world titles in the one year, the first was Marianna Vos (NED). Australia’s Anna Mears is the only athlete to better Buchanan’s record with the track star having won seven individual world titles.

Buchanan said her aim was get a good qualifying time. She secured a fast qualifying time of 47.433 seconds.

“I didn’t want to make it harder for myself. Winning it put me in a good draw for the quarter and semi finals,” she said.

In an action packed final Buchanan made an early break at the start to stay clear of the fight for second place. The four cross world series winner, Katy Curd (GBR), challenged defending world champion, Anneke Beerten (NED) until Beertens crashed on the final jump snapping her front wheel into pieces. Beerten was forced to run across the line to claim fourth place with Curd in second and French rider, Celine Gros placed third.

Buchanan said she realized mid race she had a lead.

“I think once I went around the pro jump and I saw none of the girls were in the air behind. That’s when I knew I had it,” Buchanan said.

Reflecting on her busy last two months Buchanan said, “This is the year I wanted. I had a feeling that three (world championships races) may be achievable. I knew it would be tough. BMX and Four Cross were the ones I had targeted but they all are so different. Different bikes and they need different mind sets and energy systems. It’s been a logistical nightmare to get the bikes there and the travel. My brain hurts!

“The goal was to race downhill as well and I’m pleased with that result too. Just a second off a podium spot was a top result for me.

“ I learnt before the Olympics Games (London) that I had set that goal and now I’m setting my goals higher.

“I’m pretty tired now though. I don’t think I’ll do that again.”

Buchanan says she will now turn her focus to BMX in the hope of qualifying for the next Olympic Games in Rio De Janeiro.

RESULTS:
Women’s Four Cross World Championships
Caroline Buchanan (AUS) 1, Katy Curd (GBR) 2, Celine Gros (FRA) 3, Anneke Beerten (NED)4,Romana Labounkova (CZE) 5. Steffi Marth (GBR) 6, Helene Valerie Fruhwirth (AUT) 7, Lucia Oetjen (SUI) 8.

Men’s Four Cross World Championship:
Joost Wichman (NED) 1, Michael Mechura (CZE) 2. Quetin Derbier (FRA) 3, Tomas Slavik (CZE) 4, Guido Tschugg (GER) 5, Marek Pesko (SVK) 6, Michal Marosi (CZE)7, Barry Nobles (USA) 8.

Sharon Payne
Bike Media

Photos credit: Charles Robertson