Blue Derby, TAS

redbruce

Eats Squid
I'm planning a similar trip in November.
Taking a car and bikes on O/N ferry.
What do people do to secure their bikes on ferry, disassemble and pack in car, lock to bike rack?
Also someone mentioned extra premium for greater than 2.2m in height. So towbar mount rack would be better?

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
What do people do to secure their bikes on ferry, disassemble and pack in car, lock to bike rack?
Also someone mentioned extra premium for greater than 2.2m in height. So towbar mount rack would be better?
Disclaimer: I've never taken bikes on the ferry, but even so I wouldn't be concerned about security. They pack cars in pretty tight, so it would be a major pain in the arse for someone to try and get your bike off the rack and onto/ into another car, plus there are plenty of staff around at loading time. Once loading has finished the car decks are locked and off limits until unloading. If you are really worried just cable lock the bike to the rack.

Yes there is a premium for height as high vehicle space is limited so a towbar rack is a better option.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yes there is a premium for height as high vehicle space is limited so a towbar rack is a better option.
There is also a 'tick box' for bicycle rack, so this may also have a $$$ attached. Due to it increasing the length of your vehicle...

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Redbruce hi , we went last year best to put bikes + rack in back of car--- if possible.
We had a twin cab w a back canopy so lying down w blankets between the bikes..
That way the car is short + low as possible + bikes are secure.

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
Ok level me farkers, am I gonna die from tiger snakes if I love to Tassie and ride every other day? Serious. Genuine snake fear here.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Ok level me farkers, am I gonna die from tiger snakes if I love to Tassie and ride every other day? Serious. Genuine snake fear here.
No you won't die from one, but you will see them during summer quite regularly I think the most I have seen on a ride in Derby is 3 or 4. I always carry a compression bandage for the just in case.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

binner

Hath shat hymself
rode over 0ne(lightly), manualed over one (manual to pop) and stopped to let one have right of way .... fun times

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I saw a big black Tiger on Blue Derby - they're out there. But they're cool and will be already leaving by the time you see it - they have even less interest in you than you them.

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
See ém every year on the trails, but neither me nor any of my riding mates have had any dramas.

PJO

in me vL comy
Have seen one near the top of the Upper Long Shadows trail more than a couple of times, and one or two others on the trail network. Always slithering off or away from the track. Never had any problems but also carry a compression bandage just in case.

featherplucker

Likes Bikes
I appreciate these replies. I've hesitated on asking so many times - ignorance is bliss and all that. I'm seriously contemplating moving to Tassie so I can live a ride-worthy lifestyle. Maydena and Derby + other developments on the way - how could I not think about it! But this damn snake-fear gets me. I've had a couple run-ins (siting/swervings) with some red bellies here on the mainland and it kills my ride every time.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
there is no recorded death by red belly black snakes :) big ol’ softies. Thats a hell of a fear to have when you like mountain bikes mate.

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Bruce,
I know this is very late but no extra charge for roof racks or bike rack but there are limited spots which can take the roof racks on the boat.
Security is not an issue as the garage is locked prior to leaving but I do lock the bikes on my racks

About to do my 4th trip on the boat with bikes.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Digging this thread up for my needs. Heading to Derby with 7 blokes for a weekend in January.

One of us taking a van with bikes over on the boat and rest flying.

5 of the 7 are eBikers who get nauseous at the sight of an unassisted hill and were happy lapping the local at Maydena over and over without exploring much else - so unfortunately not heaps of interest in singletrack or technical trails. All probably advanced intermediate riders.

Will do one day shuttling to Black Stump, but just not sure what to do with the other day? At this stage thinking shuttle first 13km of Bay of Fires (potentially twice) followed by Atlas. Is this enough for one day? Would Blue Tier/Atlas be better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk