Blood Racing. How fast do you bleed?

slowmick

38-39"
Put in a 5:05 today. came with a warning mid way through that if i didn't stop squeezing the machine would cut out on high flow rate. The nurse then turned the machine away so I couldn't see it.

On another note Ringwood now has a pie warmer with sausage rolls and party pies... :madgrin:

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Got a text this morning
Hi Wesley, your blood donation is already at work! Your blood has gone on to save lives at Royal Perth Hospital, WA today.
First time I've seen one of those. I think it's neat.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had a 5:01 on Friday, they were super busy and the needle was a bit more painful than usual - also bled quite a bit when they pulled it out.

I think that's my fastest time, and that was on my slow arm as well

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
Had my tenth donation today. My schedule's more flexible now that I'm on holidays so the last two have been plasma. They sent me a fancy gold card the other week and I got the pin today.
Donor1.jpg
They took 702g of plasma in 34 mins (4 cycles), last session was 27 mins although I think there may have only been 3 cycles.

I'm wondering if it's worth setting up a Rotorburn RED25 group

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
First time I've been able to donate since I broke my collarbone in April last year, crossed the finish line with a 4:47, no squeezing or rolling, just a good flow. 2nd quickest that nurse had ever seen, best for her was a 4:36.

BP was 123/73, resting was 54bpm (highest I've seen in ages, usually in the 40's) and Fe was 140.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
There was a bit of a mix up rescheduling a donation so I had my first full blood in a little while. 4:48, good to see I'm still sub 5.

slowmick

38-39"
another night with the machine turned away. the nurse cleared the display before she let me out of the chair. i think they are on to us...

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did #18 the other day, I used my left arm which is a bit slower and I got 6 mins something.
But the lady asked if I'd considered giving plasma, I told her I'd been rejected previously as my veins were hard to find according to the lady I asked.
This new nurse said it was nonsense, so I've got a plasma coming up in a couple of weeks after I finish exams.

slowmick

38-39"
nice work Xavo.au - can you report back after you've done plasma. they keep asking me if i'll do and i'm kinda wondering what happens. cheers.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
i'm kinda wondering what happens
I've been doing plasma since the start of this year. They stick the needle in your arm the same as usual except it's hooked up to a different machine. The machine has a draw and return cycles. IIRC you do about 4 of each cycle. The cuff tightens for the draw cycle and you pump as usual (although a little more relaxed, you don't really need much to make it flow). For the release cycle, the machine clicks, the cuff loosens and your blood cells and saline are returned to you. Just sit and relax, it'll take care of itself. The return's a bit cold so it feels a little strange at first. They'll offer you a blanket, it might be wise to take it. You spend about half an hour to 45 minutes in the chair.

You take three Quick-eze beforehand which prevents you from getting a tingling in the lips. I've had the tingling before during platelets it's sort of a pulsating symptom, if you take another Quick-eze it should subside.

It's 2 weeks between plasma donations (or 4 weeks after whole blood) compared to 12 between whole blood cycles.

TonyMax

Caviar tastes on a popcorn budget
Did my first whole blood in a long time as I usually do plasma and they are very short of O+and took 7min 41sec. Forgot how quick whole blood is.
Same but last week. 5:35 and it was all over.

I am still striving to get my full plasma bag done in 4 cycles, it usually stops painfully short and has to do a baby 5th cycle. Booked in again in a few weeks for plasma so will see how that goes.

not_brian

Likes Bikes
I've been doing plasma since the start of this year.

You take three Quick-eze beforehand which prevents you from getting a tingling in the lips. I've had the tingling before during platelets it's sort of a pulsating symptom, if you take another Quick-eze it should subside.

It's 2 weeks between plasma donations (or 4 weeks after whole blood) compared to 12 between whole blood cycles.
I didn't know that about the Quick Eze! I've been doing plasma for few years and I get that tingling on the lips every time.... I'm starting to enjoy it.

wesdadude

ウェスド アドゥーデ
I didn't know that about the Quick Eze! I've been doing plasma for few years and I get that tingling on the lips every time.... I'm starting to enjoy it.
They started asking me if I take the Quick-Eze when I went in so I decided to see if I need it. Took two last session and was fine, going to try one when I go next week. If I'm fine I will try dropping it completely.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Been a while since I've done a whole blood donation so no idea on my PB, have done plasma since I was able to as I was a "good candidate." PB for plasma is 36mins.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk