Black mould in camelbak...

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Gross... Clearly left it wet after a ride and mouldering on a shelf - clearly not riding enough...

Anyway. Soaked in vinegar and detergents, even sprayed with chlorine mould killer which did nothing except give it a tie dye look. Any other hot tips for getting black mould stains out of these things?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Do you have a proper camelbak cleaning kit ?

Might need to run the tube brush through the straw, it will have a build up of clear slime.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Do you have a proper camelbak cleaning kit ?

Might need to run the tube brush through the straw, it will have a build up of clear slime.
Oh sorry. No not the bladder, thats fine - the fabric of the pack itself is mouldy.

I only use plain tap water, so apart from a musty smell on the outside that cleaned off ok the bladder is fine.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Oh sorry. No not the bladder, thats fine - the fabric of the pack itself is mouldy.

I only use plain tap water, so apart from a musty smell on the outside that cleaned off ok the bladder is fine.
Spray it with mold remover and stick it through a wash cycle or two. It will come off eventually.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
No real solution. Best thing to do is to store bladders in the freezer and only ever use water. I have a spare bladder that just sits in the fridge cooling water for my next ride and it must be 10 years old and mould free.

If the camelback lives in a backpack use the camelback cleaning kit and the lozenges for dentures every now and then.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
No real solution. Best thing to do is to store bladders in the freezer and only ever use water. I have a spare bladder that just sits in the fridge cooling water for my next ride and it must be 10 years old and mould free.

If the camelback lives in a backpack use the camelback cleaning kit and the lozenges for dentures every now and then.

The bladder itself is fine. I once put some surgery stuff in for a ride and that killed a bladder, but never had any problems with them since only using tap water.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I got tired of all the faffing with camelbacks, making sure everything was clean, not leaking etc.

Now I have a bottle in the frame, and one or two extra bottles in the pack on longer rides and swap them as I go.

Obviously not much use if you can't have a bottle on the frame.

Oddjob

In that case use Milton steriliser to denature mould. Only use water and store in freezer/fridge when possible. Clean occasionally with denture cleaner.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea

Isopropyl kills a lot of nasty stuff.

try seaching for "how to remove mold from a backpack". there are a bunch of how-tos.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
In that case use Milton steriliser to denature mould. Only use water and store in freezer/fridge when possible. Clean occasionally with denture cleaner.

Its not the bladder - its the fabric of the pack.

Oddjob

I got tired of all the faffing with camelbacks, making sure everything was clean, not leaking etc.

Now I have a bottle in the frame, and one or two extra bottles in the pack on longer rides and swap them as I go.

Obviously not much use if you can't have a bottle on the frame.
The problem with this is getting grit on the bidon in wet or dusty conditions. I used to get tummy upsets from this regularly and riding in the mud at the Megavalanche Peru really sealed the deal. You can get very effective bite valve covers for camelback bit valves.

The insulation on camelbacks tend to be a lot better than bisons too.

Finally it's a lot easier to fit some water purifiers directly to camelbacks if touring/bike packing.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Its not the bladder - its the fabric of the pack.
Just put it through the wash, use some Dettol laundry sanitiser in the fabric softener compartment. Do it twice. If it's still mouldy after, just get over it, at least it's just the fabric and not the bladder or hose :p