Black Dogs and mental shit in general

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Not all of them. Where I am. Complete opposite. Everyone including my boss walk out the door when 5pm hits. The only weekend contact I've had from my boss was to show off some awesome diablo legendary that dropped lol
That appears to be the exception, not the norm. Friend and family tell me things have gotten worse for them post pandemic, not better.

I have been encouraging them to read the book “stolen focus” and many are having an epiphany.

Most are being smart and not resigning, but going out and looking at options, sitting with head hunters, going to interviews while still employed and not feeling any duress and treating the interview as very much a balanced discussion, which the employer having to sell the role, or work with them to define the role.

I’ve also encouraged them to seek out companies and organisations they would like to work for, and making an introduction. This way they are competing with no one else.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
That appears to be the exception, not the norm. Friend and family tell me things have gotten worse for them post pandemic, not better.

I have been encouraging them to read the book “stolen focus” and many are having an epiphany.

Most are being smart and not resigning, but going out and looking at options, sitting with head hunters, going to interviews while still employed and not feeling any duress and treating the interview as very much a balanced discussion, which the employer having to sell the role, or work with them to define the role.

I’ve also encouraged them to seek out companies and organisations they would like to work for, and making an introduction. This way they are competing with no one else.
While I appreciate it's highly anecdotal, I've worked at a number of publicly listed companies and not experienced that. They tend to want to not have the reputational risk associated with bad behavior. Like with any business though, there are good ones and bad ones. Even in good ones, you have bad eggs. Sometimes its celebrated, other times its punished.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
We're struggling to get that sentiment through to the Ex-VC. If my phone beeps, rings or even farts while I'm talking face to face with someone it gets ignored. It's truly not that urgent, and if it was I'll soon find out. He on the other hand shows physical pain if his phone beeps and he can't instantly look at it.
I love seeing people even my own age and older freak out, when my phone rings or beeps (well vibrates because it's almost always on silent), and I completely ignore it, because I am talking to them.

Why on earth people think it's ok to break off a communication, because another communication is coming through, just defies logic. How would you achieve anything? There would be unfinished business scattered all over.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
We're struggling to get that sentiment through to the Ex-VC. If my phone beeps, rings or even farts while I'm talking face to face with someone it gets ignored. It's truly not that urgent, and if it was I'll soon find out. He on the other hand shows physical pain if his phone beeps and he can't instantly look at it.
I think a lot of folk have that affliction (sadly). I remember early on in the smartphone era I remember thinking it was going to only be a problem for the youth. Wasn't until a few years later I realised how many middle-aged people were/are equally addicted.

I have oddly mixed habits when it comes to screentime. Work is office-based computer work, so screen time all-day - but home is a weird all-or-nothing approach. If I'm sitting watching TV and ads come on I'll grab the phone and scroll RB or surf the interwebz, so until whatever I'm watching comes back on I'm double-screening. But if I'm doing something else I typically only check my phone when I next happen to walk past it as I hate carrying it around with me. That time away from "devices" or people generally is important to me. I'm introvert by nature that has to function in a (predominantly) extrovert workplace/world, so I need the "quiet time". I generally like to try and keep one day a week where I don't have to talk to anyone. Obviously I can if needed, but if I've had a busy week, don't get mental quiet time (I can still do stuff, just not social interactions) for a day - it starts me off (mentally) on the back foot for the next week. Sounds super self-indulgent, but if I don't give myself a quiet day at least every couple of weeks I end in a mental fog and/or really fatigued.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Sounds super self-indulgent, but if I don't give myself a quiet day at least every couple of weeks I end in a mental fog and/or really fatigued.
Not in the slightest. One of Mrs George's weaknesses is people and crowds. Makes her being Club President quite the challenge. We had a come and try day yesterday with 18 club members and 27 new riders. She was cactus after all the peopleing

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not in the slightest. One of Mrs George's weaknesses is people and crowds. Makes her being Club President quite the challenge. We had a come and try day yesterday with 18 club members and 27 new riders. She was cactus after all the peopleing
Great turnout !