AM Bird, bird, bird.... bird is the word.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Frame - Bird Aether 9 ML
Rear shock - Manitou Mara
Front shock/fork - Suntour Auron EQ 140mm
Handlebars - Spank Oozy Vibrocore 760mm
Stem - NS Quantum lite
Headset - Bird brand
Grips - Oury V2
Saddle - Bontrager
Seatpost - RS Reverb AXS 170mm
Front brake - Formula Cura
Rear brake - Formula Cura
Cranks - XTR9020
Chainguide -
Chain - XTR
Pedals - DMR V11
Rear derailleur - XT M8000
Rear shifter - Deore 10spd
Cassette - Deore 10spd
Front hub - Onyx classic
Rear hub - Onyx Classic
Front rim - Nukeproof neutron
Rear rim - Nukeproof neutron
Spokes - Pillar
Nipples - DT Swiss and Pillar
Tyres - Michelin Wild AM front and Huchinson Taipan rear
Total weight - No idea but not as heavy as I thought.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Looks like it has been out on the trails... I see no ride report

And it looks awesome!

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Looks like it has been out on the trails... I see no ride report

And it looks awesome!
Only a couple of short rides so far so nothing definitive. Climbs really well I think the Mara pairs really well with the frame which was what I was hoping. One thing I noticed is it picks up speed like nothing else I've ridden, on gentle single track a couple of pumps and your doing mack chicken before you know what's happening. Frame quality is great, parts (head set, seat collar) are good and service was great.

Will have more thoughts soon.

Reactions: LPG

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Love the build kit on this, purely because it screams ‘experimentation’. Always good to see some alternative options out there!

Have to ask, what’s the story with the rear mudguard? I thought maybe it was to keep dirt out on the lower pivot, but the angles don’t seem to make sense… (I see in the final pic, there’s no rear mudguard). If lower pivot protection is the aim, maybe a little rubber flap over the gap between frame and chainstay yoke?

Is the frame clear-coated or true raw aluminium? Looks good either way! :)

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Love the build kit on this, purely because it screams ‘experimentation’. Always good to see some alternative options out there!

Have to ask, what’s the story with the rear mudguard? I thought maybe it was to keep dirt out on the lower pivot, but the angles don’t seem to make sense… (I see in the final pic, there’s no rear mudguard). If lower pivot protection is the aim, maybe a little rubber flap over the gap between frame and chainstay yoke?

Is the frame clear-coated or true raw aluminium? Looks good either way! :)
Yeah this is a mix of everything I've been building up for a while, also keeps the costs down by being willing to try different things. Also I like user serviceable suspension.

Mud guard is purely experimental, saw a few in the UK with them and have a bunch of small ones I got on clearance from CRC so thought why not. My thinking is to keep mud out of the linkage and shock but not much thinking went into it so will have to see if it actually works.

Frame is clear coat which I like so far as it keeps marks to a minimum.

Last edited:

Litenbror

Eats Squid
If you have the same issue, I almost reckon the guard will exacerbate it. Looks like it will funnel the rocks right into place. View attachment 388490
Yeah the though was to keep flying mud out of the upper linkage as there is plenty of room on either side of the seat stays to let mud into the pivots. Recon your right with the funnel thought will probably just take it off as it was just a random thought while building it up.

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah the though was to keep flying mud out of the upper linkage as there is plenty of room on either side of the seat stays to let mud into the pivots. Recon your right with the funnel thought will probably just take it off as it was just a random thought while building it up.
It may not be an issue on yours. Isn’t on Quinn’s Tranny, which looks similar. Gap is big enough to let stones through when it compresses. Bigger stones can’t get in there. The ENR needed a long/stretchy flap, as it has 50mm of rearward growth, so the flap has to be a bit bunched up at rest, but you don’t see it.
This is Felix’s. Looks a bit ag, but does the job. You can’t see it unless you look for it. Carbon is going to be even more susceptible to the damage than my alloy shitters.

TLDR. I really like what Bird are doing, particularly the Ether 7, but wasn’t going under 140mm on my new frame. Otherwise, it was right up there on the list.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
It may not be an issue on yours. Isn’t on Quinn’s Tranny, which looks similar. Gap is big enough to let stones through when it compresses. Bigger stones can’t get in there. The ENR needed a long/stretchy flap, as it has 50mm of rearward growth, so the flap has to be a bit bunched up at rest, but you don’t see it.
This is Felix’s. Looks a bit ag, but does the job. You can’t see it unless you look for it. Carbon is going to be even more susceptible to the damage than my alloy shitters.
View attachment 388492

TLDR. I really like what Bird are doing, particularly the Ether 7, but wasn’t going under 140mm on my new frame. Otherwise, it was right up there on the list.

@beeb from what I have seen on these bikes in the UK the fender is to minimise dirt and grit from the rear wheel getting into the bearings in the linkage and seat stay. Looks like it would be reasonably effective but offers no protection to the bearings on the chain stay.

@moorey this is the clearance on the chain stay, looks like there is plenty of room but will have to wait and see.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Nice @Litenbror - looks great in raw finish.

How tall are you? The reach on the Birds are massive. Your ML is the same as my mates XL Merida e bike.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
I’m worried about my 465 as a 172 man. You have Gorilla arms too?
Guess so, when I sit on the bike at sag my palms sit on the grips. All previous bikes my wrists would sit on the grips. I spoke with the guys at Bird and they recommend the ML so I just went with it and they were spot on.

moorey

call me Mia
Guess so, when I sit on the bike at sag my palms sit on the grips. All previous bikes my wrists would sit on the grips. I spoke with the guys at Bird and they recommend the ML so I just went with it and they were spot on.
Cool. STA looks slacker than some, which I would have thought would stretch it out when seated. Numbers on paper often don’t reflect how a bike feels. Hoping I haven’t bitten off more than I can chew.