BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Issue would be the whole rack pivoting as the ball turned and smacking your bike into the back of the car.
I haven’t tried other ball clamping arrangements, but they’re standard practice in Europe and I think are a tried and reliable system.
Obviously you’re not hanging a vertical rack with 6 e-bikes off of one, but for a 2 bike platform rack they’re good.
ahh right. it should be an easy issue to avoid using a rattle gun as @blacksp20 suggested.

what two bike carriers would you lot recommend? I'll definitely slap on a bit of threading goo just for extra security though.

Would have to be ok with a carbon frame though.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ahh right. it should be an easy issue to avoid using a rattle gun as @blacksp20 suggested.

what two bike carriers would you lot recommend? I'll definitely slap on a bit of threading goo just for extra security though.

Lower weight of 2 bikes and no off-roading, you’ll be fine without loctite.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse

With a carbon frame i think the trick is to avoid ones that clamp and get ones that hook.

Lol. I am down with rattle gun FTW :)

Sky_Collapsed

Lower weight of 2 bikes and no off-roading, you’ll be fine without loctite.
most of the trail centers don't really have any serious off roading sides from the flood damaged area around railton which i avoid anyways and the stoodley forest section. wait so double checking was the issue with the actual nut for the tow ball coming loose or the actual locking mechnism for the rack? because ive taken the car through rougher section of roads/dirt roads with no issus with the towball nut coming loose.

Sky_Collapsed

With a carbon frame i think the trick is to avoid ones that clamp and get ones that hook.

Lol. I am down with rattle gun FTW :)
the ones that clamp down on the wheels? I know they also have a frame clamp too but i guess there shouldn't be a huge issue with that long as i toss in some sort of padding

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
most of the trail centers don't really have any serious off roading sides from the flood damaged area around railton which i avoid anyways and the stoodley forest section. wait so double checking was the issue with the actual nut for the tow ball coming loose or the actual locking mechnism for the rack? because ive taken the car through rougher section of roads/dirt roads with no issus with the towball nut coming loose.
The nut was initially done up by the store I purchased the rack from and a rattle gun was used, maybe not tight enough for my liking. The rack itself was tight as a nuns nasty on the ball. I think the issue was 4 heavy bikes being rocked side to side on the back of a 4WD over rough, rutted roads and a rack that was not made for that type of driving.

Haakon

The nut was initially done up by the store I purchased the rack from and a rattle gun was used, maybe not tight enough for my liking. The rack itself was tight as a nuns nasty on the ball. I think the issue was 4 heavy bikes being rocked side to side on the back of a 4WD over rough, rutted roads and a rack that was not made for that type of driving.
Yeah, I'd very much not advocate ball clamping for the rough stuff (#thatswhatshesaid...).

Haakon

the ones that clamp down on the wheels? I know they also have a frame clamp too but i guess there shouldn't be a huge issue with that long as i toss in some sort of padding
No, I meant the ones ones that clamp onto the down or top tubes. Carbon frames are strong when you hook them, but dont like to be compressed.

Sky_Collapsed

No, I meant the ones ones that clamp onto the down or top tubes. Carbon frames are strong when you hook them, but dont like to be compressed.
i think i know the ones you mean yeah, i wasn't sure how those'd work for carbon.

i guess with doing any sort of off roading'ish or rough driving like anything just double check shit but you'd think they would mostly have those issues sorted by now.

So going for a two bike towball solution would the Thule VeloSpaceXT 2 or the Yakima JustClick2 both be fine choices ?

Haakon

i think i know the ones you mean yeah, i wasn't sure how those'd work for carbon.

i guess with doing any sort of off roading'ish or rough driving like anything just double check shit but you'd think they would mostly have those issues sorted by now.

So going for a two bike towball solution would the Thule VeloSpaceXT 2 or the Yakima JustClick2 both be fine choices ?
I'll leave it others to comment on the commercial big name models of rack, ive no experience with them...

Mine is this one https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/2-bicycle-bike-rack-hitch-mount-carrier-car/CB-640A

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
for reference this is my system. i currently have the towball off so it doesn't rust on it again ><

would a straight towball mount work or should i consider a tow hitch adaptor ?

View attachment 394895
for only a couple of bikes, a fabricator could easily make a socket adapter with a 7/8” / 22mm through bolt, and arms going down each side of the tongue to lock it in place…
Would not use such an adapter for over 3 bikes.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
for only a couple of bikes, a fabricator could easily make a socket adapter with a 7/8” / 22mm through bolt, and arms going down each side of the tongue to lock it in place…
Like this ?

Sky_Collapsed

i've decided not to go that route and am looking at a towball mounted one. currently deciding between the yakima foldclick 2 or yakima or justclick 2 because i like that they both don't require any adaptors for carbon frames but before i buy just wondering if there's anything else i should be considering.

Haakon

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
i've decided not to go that route and am looking at a towball mounted one. currently deciding between the yakima foldclick 2 or yakima or justclick 2 because i like that they both don't require any adaptors for carbon frames but before i buy just wondering if there's anything else i should be considering.
they both seem to be good options if they are carbon frame compatible have a chat to Yakima or a stockist as they’ll know the product (unless someone on her has used them personally) - just be sure to get yourself an accessory plate.

That’s nifty. Only to remember is that it puts the rack out back a fair bit further than it would be on a “natively” square hitch bar.
I’ve done something similar going straight onto my bottom rail a couple of times but only for 2’s and 3’s - I still don’t really understand people going for 2’s when there’s options like the above far cheaper than a vertical?