BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Henny Penny I don't know much about ball mounted racks but be stuffed if I would be hanging many $$$$$$$ of bike off something that is designed to facilitate pivoting movement. Even with some form of chastity belt to wedge the thing in place. At least look at taking the ball off and using the hole in the tongue.
I’d be a lot more hesitant on a chrome ball that’s bolted on and could itself rotate.

On a European style goose neck towbar where the “ball” can’t turn and isn’t shiny plated I’ve had zero cause for concern with my German clampy thing.

Have had both bikes on it and even driving like a tool on twisty roads it’s not moving.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I spoke to him in the last few days about bringing my rack up to date. Basically its cheaper to just buy a new one.

My rack has the single sided wheel hoops, bungies on all wheels and its not rated for carrying ebikes.

They will be doing a run out on the zinc ones very soon then going to completely to black powdercoat.

He has offered me a new zinc rack at a very nice price but I cant really justify an upgrade just to have the bling new bits when my rack does exactly what I need it for.
Did he explain why he's gone to powder coating? Cost I assume?

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I didn't ask but it stands to reason.

Racks in black are nice but not much beats galv for longevity.
I agree. The black looks nice when new, but I think the plating is also a point of difference from all the other racks too.
The powder coat will wear through on all the rub points and will chip and then the rack will rust under the powder coating and will peel off in sheets after a few years. From my experience, painting is better than powder coating. It seems to stick to the metal better and rust won't start under the coating anywhere near as bad as it does with powder coating.
I'd happily pay more for the plated finish.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I agree. The black looks nice when new, but I think the plating is also a point of difference from all the other racks too.
The powder coat will wear through on all the rub points and will chip and then the rack will rust under the powder coating and will peel off in sheets after a few years. From my experience, painting is better than powder coating. It seems to stick to the metal better and rust won't start under the coating anywhere near as bad as it does with powder coating.
Paint is easier to touch up where it chips and rubs through as well. Maybe they'd sell one in raw metal a little cheaper and you paint it yourself.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Or that! I reckon thats what was used on my trailer - it was assembled from galvanised metal (as opposed to being welded together and galvanised in one go) and this is on the welded bits. Many years its not even looked like coming off or rusting.

But for paint I was just thinking even this stuff. https://www.bunnings.com.au/dulux-300g-metalshield-epoxy-enamel-spray-paint-satin-black_p1400829

Painted the adapter bracket I welded up for my rack in this and several years later its fine.

Jpez

Down on the left!
The steel tool boxes and tray on my @Haakon ‘s trigger machine are powder coated. Boxes, tray, side’s everything. Even though they are packed up off the tray rust is still appearing everywhere. Where the sides touch the tray and water gathers big sheets of paint are peeling right off.
Very disappointing.
going powder coat on the racks is a big step backwards IMO. Granted the racks won’t see the sort of abuse my tray does but I’d take a zinc plated rack anyday of the week over Powder.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Granted the racks won’t see the sort of abuse my tray does but I’d take a zinc plated rack anyday of the week over Powder.
K'oath !

Looks like I will take up the deal Single Trail offered on a completely new rack (in galv) before he goes to wholly powdercoat.

Will wait till after the blackcyber sales and pedal my V1 on fakebook.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
Is your towbar one piece, like below?
View attachment 394672

Or do you have a square receiver like this one?
View attachment 394673

If it's the first one you will need a ball mount like Haakon showed or a rack that has that as part of the design.
If it's the latter, it's a much more secure way to attach the rack. I wouldn't use a ball mount if I had a square receiver, even if it meant swapping the rack for the tow hitch assembly whenever I needed to tow a trailer.
would appear to me that mine is the first one. not sure if the two bolts can be undone to place a square receiver. open to any recommendations, would of course be nice to keep it in that 500-800 region but happy to spend 1500, not that i want to but when it comes to transporting bikes if it ensures something decent it's worth it.
00 (1).png

ozzybmx

Best thing about zinc/gal is that it actually reduces rust in areas that have rubbed through to bare metal.
Well... after I sent a message saying I would take a new one 'in galv', Mitch had already read this thread, knew who the gobshite was and he gave me a call ;)

He explained it was all about the inability to get consistent galvanising at his level, other words he has a massive percentage of brand new galvanised parts received by him, that are unusable due to imperfections after blasting and zinc coating. These cannot be sold as 1st rate racks and some of it may be sold as 2nd's later.

He had found a powdercoater who does a awesome job and rather than powder on flat metal that chips, its blasted deep then treated before the powder is applied. The powder finish is a crinkled finish rather than flat and he has said its a really nice finish and strong wearing.

He's convinced me to get one of his new black powder racks and 'go hard with it', then keep him informed of its durability.

So in a few days.... we're going black :cool:

My V1 SingleTrail rack will brave the wrath of Fakebook.

52474997347_2c927db89f_k-1320x880.jpg

52474997787_bed7f8f52c_k-1320x880.jpg

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well... after I sent a message saying I would take a new one 'in galv', Mitch had already read this thread, knew who the gobshite was and he gave me a call ;)

He explained it was all about the inability to get consistent galvanising at his level, other words he has a massive percentage of brand new galvanised parts received by him, that are unusable due to imperfections after blasting and zinc coating. These cannot be sold as 1st rate racks and some of it may be sold as 2nd's later.

He had found a powdercoater who does a awesome job and rather than powder on flat metal that chips, its blasted deep then treated before the powder is applied. The powder finish is a crinkled finish rather than flat and he has said its a really nice finish and strong wearing.

He's convinced me to get one of his new black powder racks and 'go hard with it', then keep him informed of its durability.

View attachment 394823

View attachment 394824
the surprise we all saw coming

ozzybmx

the surprise we all saw coming
I was #1 against powder.

Been getting dozens of BMX's powdercoated since 2000 and several MTB's. I have a 10yr old powdercoated ISI Rack here thats been rattle canned half a dozen times as it looks like shit.

I do know that not all powdercoaters are the same and when its an important item, I know what powdercoater to take it to.

My IndyFab has been powdered twice by the 'good' place.

We'll see how it goes.

Jpez

Down on the left!

View attachment 394823

View attachment 394824
Yeah nah. Totally get where he’s coming from and Im sure he’s done his homework, I’ve dealt with inconsistent or shitty gal results plenty but powder coat is still just powder coat. I guess for a bike rack it’s fine. But corners will chip and water ingress on those edges will happen no matter how well it’s soda/sand blasted or whatever prep is used IMO.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
That is not comparing apples and apples. A shit gal job whether it be prep or coating will be inferior to a quality paint or powder job but for outright durability gal wins if done properly.