BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Holy sheeeet !

Singletrail racks are now $2520 for a standard 5 bike rack :oops:

Just seen a reply saying for the $500 price rise, you get -
  • free ship
  • lifetime warranty
  • black powder coat.

Well black powder over zinc coating is a massive step back. Zero rust on zinc, stone chips and drops make a powdercoated rack look like crap in no time.
It's a hell of a lot cheaper to drop a 1000 bits of metal to a powder coaters than to get them electroplated.
Glad I bought mine when I did, back when they were $1700.

Totally agree with the powder coating. The powder coating chips and then eventually rusts under the coating and it all peels off. The Zinc coating will last forever.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Glad I bought mine when I did, back when they were $1700.

Totally agree with the powder coating. The powder coating chips and then eventually rusts under the coating and it all peels off. The Zinc coating will last forever.
My V1 was around $1200-$1300, so old he didn't even have singletrail stickers made up yet. I asked for a set a few months later when I seen racks with decals on them.

I purposely hunted for a zinc trailer recently as I was fed up with rusty powdercoated stuff.
It's a shitty finish for things that get knocked and hit. Bike racks get stones bounced off them on shuttle roads, then get knocked when being stored. My ISI looks like shit with chips and rust.

The way it's being talked about is like upgrading silver spokes to black FFS.

ozzybmx

Whoa Whoa whoa!

Silver spokes are disgusting.
Precisely my angle.

Silver spokes are cheaper because black spokes are basically silver spokes that have have been treated with black oxide to make them black.

Swapping electroplating for powder because 'black' is not apples for apples.

Stredda

My V1 was around $1200-$1300, so old he didn't even have singletrail stickers made up yet. I asked for a set a few months later when I seen racks with decals on them.

I purposely hunted for a zinc trailer recently as I was fed up with rusty powdercoated stuff.
It's a shitty finish for things that get knocked and hit. Bike racks get stones bounced off them on shuttle roads, then get knocked when being stored. My ISI looks like shit with chips and rust.

The way it's being talked about is like upgrading silver spokes to black FFS.
What if he zinc plated it and then powder coated it!
Mind blown.gif

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so what bike racks do people recommend in the 500 dollar region?
+1, just installed a hitch and looking for 2 bike options. The Yakima Holdup seems like one of the better options so far.

Edit: After some research, a Kuat NV Base 2.0 is looking nice. Far more expensive though.

Last edited:

Cheka

Likes Bikes
I got the Yakima Stage 2, expensive but a great rack for carrying two bikes. Off road rated as well.
A bit heavy to take on and off but manageable.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got a Thule Euro 3 bike rack that has been awesome.
Not overly heavy and the bikes mount quite easily.

If I was getting a new 2 bike one, it would be a Yakima or the new (EXPENSIVE) lighter Thule

Stredda

ive got a 50mm towball so will need one of those towball locking ones.
Is your towbar one piece, like below?
1669258330624.png

Or do you have a square receiver like this one?
1669258354583.png

If it's the first one you will need a ball mount like Haakon showed or a rack that has that as part of the design.
If it's the latter, it's a much more secure way to attach the rack. I wouldn't use a ball mount if I had a square receiver, even if it meant swapping the rack for the tow hitch assembly whenever I needed to tow a trailer.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
I will have to double check but fairly damn certain it's the first one. any recommendations on racks that have it as part of the design?

i was initially hoping something like the ezigrip enduro 2 would work but it seems like i might have to increase the price range to 800 unless there's something suitable in that 500 range. would like a two bike one but a one bike would be perfectly fine.

Unfortunately i'm not really savy with metal work

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
Holy sheeeet !

Singletrail racks are now $2520 for a standard 5 bike rack :oops:

Just seen a reply saying for the $500 price rise, you get -
  • free ship
  • lifetime warranty
  • black powder coat.

Well black powder over zinc coating is a massive step back. Zero rust on zinc, stone chips and drops make a powdercoated rack look like crap in no time.
It's a hell of a lot cheaper to drop a 1000 bits of metal to a powder coaters than to get them electroplated.
Can still be found cheaper than that...

I just need them to have a sale on the other brand they stock.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Henny Penny I don't know much about ball mounted racks but be stuffed if I would be hanging many $$$$$$$ of bike off something that is designed to facilitate pivoting movement. Even with some form of chastity belt to wedge the thing in place. At least look at taking the ball off and using the hole in the tongue.

ozzybmx

Can still be found cheaper than that...

I just need them to have a sale on the other brand they stock.
I spoke to him in the last few days about bringing my rack up to date. Basically its cheaper to just buy a new one.

My rack has the single sided wheel hoops, bungies on all wheels and its not rated for carrying ebikes.

They will be doing a run out on the zinc ones very soon then going to completely to black powdercoat.

He has offered me a new zinc rack at a very nice price but I cant really justify an upgrade just to have the bling new bits when my rack does exactly what I need it for.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I spoke to him in the last few days about bringing my rack up to date. Basically its cheaper to just buy a new one.

My rack has the single sided wheel hoops, bungies on all wheels and its not rated for carrying ebikes.

They will be doing a run out on the zinc ones very soon then going to completely to black powdercoat.

He has offered me a new zinc rack at a very nice price but I cant really justify an upgrade just to have the bling new bits when my rack does exactly what I need it for.
Just take the batteries out. Easy.