BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
It is... and for that price they should have put another 5 racks on, making it a 10 bike rack then they might have had a market for their $14,490 rack.

What they are doing is pointing out that nearly every bike rack on the market is illegal and that you should buy their legal 'trailer' rack... would like to see the shuttle carparks if everyone was towing these friggin things. Can you imagine 'mum' trying to reverse.

See the website write up below.

Assuming being a trailer means that you'd also be up for seperate registration costs.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Assuming being a trailer means that you'd also be up for seperate registration costs.
Yes but it's cheap, $60-70 a year in SA.

A bigger issue would be insurance. Most car mountable racks are covered under H&C or car insurance. Trailers are not.

I bought a $4.5k Galv tandem cage trailer earlier this year and had to add it as a $250 extra on my H&C. Would think this trailer would be coming near twice that price.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yes but it's cheap, $60-70 a year in SA.

A bigger issue would be insurance. Most car mountable racks are covered under H&C or car insurance. Trailers are not.

I bought a $4.5k Galv tandem cage trailer earlier this year and had to add it as a $250 extra on my H&C. Would think this trailer would be coming near twice that price.
My galvanised 7x4 trailer is covered under my comp car insurance whenever it’s attached to the car. I’d hope that this sort of contraption would be similar

ozzybmx

My galvanised 7x4 trailer is covered under my comp car insurance whenever it’s attached to the car. I’d hope that this sort of contraption would be similar
Check your limits on it, most are about $1500 while being towed.

Wasn't really where I was going with the insurance talk anyway, a $15k trailer like this needs to be insured for theft while parked or even attached to your vehicle. That requires a price to be nominated and the item mentioned on a policy.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Check your limits on it, most are about $1500 while being towed.

Wasn't really where I was going with the insurance talk anyway, a $15k trailer like this needs to be insured for theft while parked or even attached to your vehicle. That requires a price to be nominated and the item mentioned on a policy.
That’s fair, my trailers are not covered for theft when they’re at home…

ozzybmx

That’s fair, my trailers are not covered for theft when they’re at home…
Mine glows like a shiny silver beacon up my driveway and can be seen from the road. Its locked but that only stops an honest man.

It hurt to pay covid tax when I bought it as it was $1000 less the year before, would hate to lose it and have to buy again.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
What they are doing is pointing out that nearly every bike rack on the market is illegal and that you should buy their legal 'trailer' rack... would like to see the shuttle carparks if everyone was towing these friggin things. Can you imagine 'mum' trying to reverse.
Semantics but the racks themselves aren't illegal, compliance with overhang on a specific vehicle is different argument, and it would appear often a case of caveat emptor as far as some of the OEMs are concerned.
I have noted recently that Deathrack has also started using this argument on their social media posts, specifically surrounding overhang compliance.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Mine glows like a shiny silver beacon up my driveway and can be seen from the road. Its locked but that only stops an honest man.

It hurt to pay covid tax when I bought it as it was $1000 less the year before, would hate to lose it and have to buy again.
That’s fair. Mine are out of sight and nowhere you’d get them out with any ease.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Semantics but the racks themselves aren't illegal, compliance with overhang on a specific vehicle is different argument, and it would appear often a case of caveat emptor as far as some of the OEMs are concerned.
I have noted recently that Deathrack has also started using this argument on their social media posts, specifically surrounding overhang compliance.
And then posts about a setup that looks just like the others.......

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
And then posts about a setup that looks just like the others.......
I suppose in his (Deathracks) defence, he claims to be able to tailor his rack to suit the vehicle to make the rack sit up as close as possible to the rear of the vehicle. The standard off the shelf racks (like my Single Trail) are set at a specific distance from the locating hole in the hitch. My rack could go about 100mm closer, but it can't be due to the anti-wobble device not allowing the locating hole being further rearwards.

I did check my rack and it's just under the allowable overhang if I have my dropper post down.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Has anyone on here used the Rola vertical bike racks?
I need an efficient method to transport 1 E-bike 1 regular bike and 3 kids bikes.
I ideally want to invest in something that will cover me for 10+ years.

At approx $1200 and an established commercial product, it's not as nice as the new shinglebacks but half the price.
I want to try and avoid the deathrack/other start-up manufacturers as I expect something that comes as a recognizable commercial product will reduce attention from cops as these are in a grey zone of laws.

I was hoping to find a Gripsport rack 2nd hand but they don't come up often

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Has anyone on here used the Rola vertical bike racks?
Yep, solid build and a reliable design. 27kg per bike limit should cover your e-bike. They come in lots of pieces so put some time aside to build it. Not as easy for full rear of your vehicle access as anything that has a swing away base option, or assisted lowering like Velocirax or the Shingleback Boost.

ausdb

Being who he is
After shelling out on a fourtimer last year, I've recently changed work cars and found I am without a tow bar / hitch so its become a bit of a shed ornament. On the plus side I've just got roof racks so until we decide if it's worth buying a driveway ornament with a towbar for weekend use, I'm looking to get at least two roof carriers as its mainly just my son and I going on rides away from home at the moment. I've seen a few comments about Frontloaders being ok, has anyone got any comments about using them with an SUV as they'll be going on an Outlander. I think I'll probably need to carry around some little steps as I'm a minority burner that doesnt ride an XL, to help get bikes on and off. At the moment we're only on hard tails but that will change in the future.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After shelling out on a fourtimer last year, I've recently changed work cars and found I am without a tow bar / hitch so its become a bit of a shed ornament. On the plus side I've just got roof racks so until we decide if it's worth buying a driveway ornament with a towbar for weekend use, I'm looking to get at least two roof carriers as its mainly just my son and I going on rides away from home at the moment. I've seen a few comments about Frontloaders being ok, has anyone got any comments about using them with an SUV as they'll be going on an Outlander. I think I'll probably need to carry around some little steps as I'm a minority burner that doesnt ride an XL, to help get bikes on and off. At the moment we're only on hard tails but that will change in the future.
Yep I’m a giant and occasionally struggle to get them on the roof of my SUV if I’m tired. A portable step would do you well. Try caravan suppliers.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I ( only 5'10 so not the Gravelburn average ) have one of these permanently in the boot, not so much for putting the bike onto the Frontloader (on an Outback) but more the roof box when it's up there, I'm right on the limit without the steep and it takes a quick kinda movement to lock the bike wheel into the racks channel.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
cant put a tow bar on a work car?

Needing a step ladder to get stuff on the roof looks hilarious and surely must be inspiring a rethink of car choices... #shouldaboughtastationwagon

ausdb

Being who he is
cant put a tow bar on a work car?

Needing a step ladder to get stuff on the roof looks hilarious and surely must be inspiring a rethink of car choices... #shouldaboughtastationwagon
It's a leased vehicle and my employer won't allow extras. Too hard especially with insurance if someone rear ends me then it becomes my issue as damage will probably be worse.

#nochoiceofvehicle
#workwithwhati'vegot

Last edited:

ozzybmx

Holy sheeeet !

Singletrail racks are now $2520 for a standard 5 bike rack :oops:

Just seen a reply saying for the $500 price rise, you get -
  • free ship
  • lifetime warranty
  • black powder coat.

Well black powder over zinc coating is a massive step back. Zero rust on zinc, stone chips and drops make a powdercoated rack look like crap in no time.
It's a hell of a lot cheaper to drop a 1000 bits of metal to a powder coaters than to get them electroplated.