BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
I look forward to reading how they are all illegal and not for public usage, lights and number plate obstruction and sharp edges etc.
Also how they are all a modified copy of a northshore rack!
I have built my own vertical racks (first one was 2012) and will still use them even though they are illegal, over hang is the biggest issue and 60% of wheelbase or 1.2M whichever is less is the law.
Yes I've read the ADR's as it's part of my job designing 4wd accessories.

I do hope ALL these companies do well from there products as it is a great way to carry bikes!
the addition of lights on a vertical rack is useless, light boards are a necessity on any rack rack over 5 bikes (4 bikes on some vehicles), all racks should have an accessory plate (generally on a light board if you plan on driving when dark - any suitable light board is fine it doesn’t have to be the brand of the rack which they all sell separately). Sharp edges generally aren’t a thing on these racks.
There are only a few of the larger SUV’s and dual cabs suitable legally for any bike rack over 2 bikes, 6 bike racks are further limited due to the 150mm side overhang rule, customers are advised of this and the choice is theirs if their vehicle isn’t suitable. For the record the first patent for a vertical rack was in Australia in the early 2000’s, pity for him he never commercialized it.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
the addition of lights on a vertical rack is useless, light boards are a necessity on any rack rack over 5 bikes (4 bikes on some vehicles), all racks should have an accessory plate (generally on a light board if you plan on driving when dark - any suitable light board is fine it doesn’t have to be the brand of the rack which they all sell separately). Sharp edges generally aren’t a thing on these racks.
There are only a few of the larger SUV’s and dual cabs suitable legally for any bike rack over 2 bikes, 6 bike racks are further limited due to the 150mm side overhang rule, customers are advised of this and the choice is theirs if their vehicle isn’t suitable. For the record the first patent for a vertical rack was in Australia in the early 2000’s, pity for him he never commercialized it.
I think in most states it's also illegal to drive with your rack empty.

I think the laws around racks need a rework. Things have changed since the old top bar clamp rack from the 80's.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I think in most states it's also illegal to drive with your rack empty.

I think the laws around racks need a rework. Things have changed since the old top bar clamp rack from the 80's.
Not Vic, but only been a couple years at best since it was changed. And we've been led to believe NSW will be changing "soon"

Stredda

Not Vic, but only been a couple years at best since it was changed. And we've been led to believe NSW will be changing "soon"
Actually I just checked Tassie's regs and they now state "To minimise the likelihood of injury to a person if they were to make contact with it, it is advisable to remove rear-mounted bicycle carriers from the rear of the vehicle as soon as it is practical to do so after use."
"Advisable" so my will stay on permanently. :p

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
"To minimise the likelihood of injury to a person if they were to make contact with it, it is advisable to remove rear-mounted bicycle carriers from the rear of the vehicle as soon as it is practical to do so after use."
Just in case you are reversing, when going forward its advisable to remove bullbar and torpedo tube rod holders.

Stredda

Just in case you are reversing, when going forward its advisable to remove bullbar and torpedo tube rod holders.
I had a similar argument with a cop years ago when he was planning to defect my car for an aftermarket (fiberglass) bonnet scoop. His argument was that it could injure a pedestrian if they went up over the bonnet. I brought up bullbars and the like, I just got the "that's different" response.
I'd be interested to see where bullbars actually sit legally, but there again I can drive my tractor down the road with meter long tynes out the front and that's ok too.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I had a similar argument with a cop years ago when he was planning to defect my car for an aftermarket (fiberglass) bonnet scoop. His argument was that it could injure a pedestrian if they went up over the bonnet. I brought up bullbars and the like, I just got the "that's different" response.
I'd be interested to see where bullbars actually sit legally, but there again I can drive my tractor down the road with meter long tynes out the front and that's ok too.
Sharpen them or fit bale tines!
In Q it is still illegal to leave an unaccompanied minor hanging off a windscreen wiper on the highway. Or an used carrier on the back. Applies to rod holders too but no one gives a toss but I know someone pinged for an empty rear carrier.

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
I look forward to reading how they are all illegal and not for public usage, lights and number plate obstruction and sharp edges etc.
Also how they are all a modified copy of a northshore rack!
I have built my own vertical racks (first one was 2012) and will still use them even though they are illegal, over hang is the biggest issue and 60% of wheelbase or 1.2M whichever is less is the law.
Yes I've read the ADR's as it's part of my job designing 4wd accessories.

I do hope ALL these companies do well from there products as it is a great way to carry bikes!
60% of wheelbase or 3.7m which ever is less is the limit. Over 1.2m needs a flag or red light at night and I never see flags on the back of carriers on 4WDs that likely meet the wheelbase/3.7 rule.

My triton which I have a canopy on is a pig for it with the long rear overhang of the tray, technically I am right on the limit of the 60% wheelbase rule with a single bike. :( Would be damn close if bikes were on the tailgate too just with the bar overhang.

Multiple bikes for shuttles I would be best off running a trailer setup. I am currently debating whether to run the gauntlet, or go with something for the box trailer.

Switch

huskier headed gent
@Art Vanderlay

How does the monorail go with bikes with mudguards? I'm running the flexible plastic sort of mudguard, not the solid inflexible plastic sort.
Monorail does come into contact with the mudguard if it extends past the front of the fork. I have an AMS guard on my bike but the arm sits just underneath it and actually protects it from rubbing against the fork. Bike still sits securely and is an 29er ebike so added weight but may vary between wheel sizes and guards.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
If any were interested in the AMB magazine reviews you can now find the video here:

AMB's Vertical Bike Rack Group Test

Just a reminder no payment was made to them, and we received our rack back after their tests were done.

There are more in-depth reviews in print in their current issue (197).