BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got my old warrantied pivot in the shed in Bridport if you need parts in TAS hit me up if you need to try and rob parts.
Thanks for the offer :)

Will try a bolt in Launceston as the threads might be mangled.

Can support with it a little bit with straps... will just look shit wobbling all over the place when we get back to Derby.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Thanks for the offer :)

Will try a bolt in Launceston as the threads might be mangled.

Can support with it a little bit with straps... will just look shit wobbling all over the place when we get back to Derby.
Grab a tap, the female threads will be munted too but might clean up ok.

ozzybmx

Grab a tap, the female threads will be munted too but might clean up ok.
Going to grab a nut ;)

Worst case, I'll stick a nut on top for the last 5 days of Derby shuttles. Then move it back onto the van for the homeward journey on the 10th.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Stabiliser failure on my singletrail rack.

Spoke to them yesterday, apparently they had a batch of dud bolts.

They are sending out replacement parts to me.

Not much use at the moment as we are packing up to head to Queenstown in about an hour.

The bolt is an fine thread automotive style bolt but it will be Launceston Supercheap/Autobarn in about 6-7 days before I will get to see if it has stripped the stabilising rocker plate.

Wobbly rack until then... grab a spare if you are going travelling.

View attachment 384321
Hmm, I better check mine.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Stabiliser failure on my singletrail rack.

Spoke to them yesterday, apparently they had a batch of dud bolts.

They are sending out replacement parts to me.

Not much use at the moment as we are packing up to head to Queenstown in about an hour.

The bolt is an fine thread automotive style bolt but it will be Launceston Supercheap/Autobarn in about 6-7 days before I will get to see if it has stripped the stabilising rocker plate.

Wobbly rack until then... grab a spare if you are going travelling.

View attachment 384321
I'd be checking those welds too man.
Just the visible ones in the photo, no peno

ozzybmx

I'd be checking those welds too man.
Just the visible ones in the photo, no peno
The welds are good.

Missus headed into Devonport on 2nd Jan and got me a 2 pack of bolts from SuperCheap, painted the new bolt with some silver anti-seize and it tightened up nicely, so the threads on the rack were OK, it was just the bolt that turned to mush.

Rack is back working again using the anti wobble device.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Yes I agree.
It looks like the thread was taped straight through a laser cut hole with no chamfer.
Say its 10mm plate.
If it's a M10 fastener you need 1.5 times the thread dia of thread in the plate. (1.5 X thread dia is standard on all thread sizes, nuts are different) Equals 15mm of thread.
That is a weak point.

I have not had a good look at this brand of rack in person and I'm not affiliated with any other company. Just looking at it from a manufacturing point of view from posted pictures.

ozzybmx

The bolt is a M10 fine.

Might be the bolt needs a bit of anti-seize to keep it moving nicely as it picks up a gut full of dirt where it is.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
My threads looked as if they were alright, Dougals not so much...
Mine was sitting on the back of the ute for some time probably working it's way thru the thread, also a couple of trips to Harcourt (that road is getting bloody bad) fully loaded with 5 bikes. I've no doubt it'll all be sorted, they seem a good bunch, pity they have been stung by a bad batch of bolts.

ozzybmx

Mine was sitting on the back of the ute for some time probably working it's way thru the thread, also a couple of trips to Harcourt (that road is getting bloody bad) fully loaded with 5 bikes. I've no doubt it'll all be sorted, they seem a good bunch, pity they have been stung by a bad batch of bolts.
Yeah, poor bloke sent all these hitch pivots out as replacements, only to be let down by one of the only parts he didn't make.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
To be honest unless that threaded section is replaced with a harder material like a 316 stainless or has an insert or nut welded on the back the thread will be destroyed over time. A grade 8.8 bolt is much tougher and harder than a 300 grade mild steel. Is the threaded flat removable? If yes get him to helicoil a new one, otherwise helicoil the existing one. The bolt isn't the issue and if you do get a plate in 316 don't use a stainless bolt.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
And here I was contemplating how much tighter I could crank mine up :oops:. The GM hitch receiver seems huge, the hitch itself rattles around so much in the cabin it sounds like a shock mount has come un-done. The rack doesn't wobble as such, but it does rotate a bit. Doesn't help that the pin in the rack is an half inch pin in a 5/8" hole.

I see a shim being made up in the not too distant future.

Mooman

Squid
To be honest unless that threaded section is replaced with a harder material like a 316 stainless or has an insert or nut welded on the back the thread will be destroyed over time. A grade 8.8 bolt is much tougher and harder than a 300 grade mild steel. Is the threaded flat removable? If yes get him to helicoil a new one, otherwise helicoil the existing one. The bolt isn't the issue and if you do get a plate in 316 don't use a stainless bolt.
The material is Strenx 700 MC plus for the nut plate. The yield of the material is 700 MPa which is higher than a grade 8.8 bolt with a yield of 660 MPa

If it's a M10 fastener you need 1.5 times the thread dia of thread in the plate. (1.5 X thread dia is standard on all thread sizes, nuts are different) Equals 15mm of thread.
A standard Hobson M10 nyloc nut only has a maximum thread of 8.04mm and 8.4mm for a plain nut

Last edited: