BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
I said on the recall form that mine is 100% so he can shuffle me down the list if others are squealing, I have no issues and mine was one of his first in June 2019.
Same. Knew he has been working on an improvement for months. He said he’d swap mine out long before this recall was announced. I said I was in no rush, particularly because I brace mine to the back of the tub anyway. Just coz.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I've just had to email him, should have put it in the notes... but forgot.

He made mine 25mm longer so it cleared the back door, allowing me to open the back lower door and access drawers without hitting the pivot. He may have to make mine from scratch, no hurry anyway.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Had a mate who broke a tooth on his V2 rack locking mech a few months back, it was replaced ASAP. I've had no problems from mine but it's had a relatively easy life usually only carrying 2 bikes.

indica

Serial flasher
Thinking roof racks now. We camp and I want the bikes away from the tailgate.
Any reason not to? - apart from lifting a 16kg bike onto a 4wd?

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
McDonalds drive thru, shopping centre car parks, garage at home.
Depending what sort of camping you do overhanging branches on any dirt tracks in and out might be an issue?

I’ve got 4 Thule racks on the roof a VW Passat wagon and I’m very happy with them. Two racks would be okay on a 4WD (SUV), but my mate had to carry around a plastic step to get his bike on and off his Mazda 9 (he was so impressed with my wagon he bought one too – 4WDs have their place, but their popularity in the suburbs I find bizarre).

Switch

huskier headed gent
Don't hate me but I have ordered an ebike so my roof mounted Thule 951 won't work anymore. I already have a Shingleback carrier but need something when carrying just the ebike for solo missions and given the $ already spent don't want to brake the bank.
In the past people have spoken highly of the cycling deal platform racks similar to this Venzo 2 bike platform carrier. Anyone got an opinion on how it would go set up for one bike carrying a 24kg ebike? Perhaps taking the battery out to improve my confidence in this cheaper rack?

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Don't hate me but I have ordered an ebike so my roof mounted Thule 951 won't work anymore. I already have a Shingleback carrier but need something when carrying just the ebike for solo missions and given the $ already spent don't want to brake the bank.
In the past people have spoken highly of the cycling deal platform racks similar to this Venzo 2 bike platform carrier. Anyone got an opinion on how it would go set up for one bike carrying a 24kg ebike? Perhaps taking the battery out to improve my confidence in this cheaper rack?
The one I have is out of stock and has been for a while... Not sure about the other ones as they look a little lighter in their construction.

Mine has had two bikes on it that collectively weight 25kg plus and its been fine - any rack designed to take 2 proper bikes should take one motorcycle ok.

Here it is on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2724102...MIkNWwitzh8AIVl3wrCh0kxgvnEAQYAiABEgJ_NPD_BwE

Last edited:

Switch

huskier headed gent
The one I have is out of stock and has been for a while... Not sure about the other ones as they look a little lighter in their construction.

Mine has had two bikes on it that collectively weight 25kg plus and its been fine - any rack designed to take 2 proper bikes should take one motorcycle ok.
Thanks Haakon.... I think ;)
Yours definitely looks a bit more solid than the one listed although it is rated to 20kg per bike so hoping it would be ok. Just weary of trusting a no name rack to the most expensive bike I have ever purchased.

moorey

call me Mia
Yours definitely looks a bit more solid than the one listed although it is rated to 20kg per bike so hoping it would be ok. Just weary of trusting a no name rack to the most expensive bike I have ever purchased.
How’s your hitch though? What car? I see some heavy bikes hanging a long way back on cars that really don’t look up to it.
There was a 4 bike platform rack on a small hatch loaded with 4 big bikes. Was nearly 1/2 the car length, totally illegal....and the back bike was bobbing up and down a good 6” over small bumps. I hate the think of the load on that hitch.

Switch

huskier headed gent
How’s your hitch though? What car? I see some heavy bikes hanging a long way back on cars that really don’t look up to it.
There was a 4 bike platform rack on a small hatch loaded with 4 big bikes. Was nearly 1/2 the car length, totally illegal....and the back bike was bobbing up and down a good 6” over small bumps. I hate the think of the load on that hitch.
The platform rack would go on a Subaru liberty with only the one ebike attached preferably on the inside location with the second holder removed entirely to reduce weight. The shingleback goes on the liberty on occasion but mainly on a Forrester. The bounce on the four bike platform racks was the reason for going for a shingleback initially. A dual cab ute would resolve all these issues but a new house and now a new ebike has put that well off the radar.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Mine (the eBay linked one) is rated to 35kg. More than ample.

It even copes with an Orange on it ;)

Last edited:

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I know an e-bike convert who went out and bought this MTB/E-Bike carrier after collapsing his cheaper rack and dragging it along the road.

Luckily it didnt leave the car and it was low so only dragged on the rack, no bike damage.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
Thinking roof racks now. We camp and I want the bikes away from the tailgate.
Any reason not to? - apart from lifting a 16kg bike onto a 4wd?
Two kinds of people, those who have run into things with bikes on the roof, and those that are yet to.
Height for access to load your bike, having to heft a bike up that high and secure it is fun. Mate of mine managed to drive his fork dropout into the roof of his car as he was parked on a slope and slipped slightly. I don't recommend the fork mount ones to anyone.

Having said that, I'm in the latter category and the Yakima racks I have make it easy to load the bikes, although I don't have a 4WD.