BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
Yeah, both of my [type of vehicle not withheld] have 2" hitches.
Look for a SH Grip maybe. I sold my mint Tilty 2+2 for about that money when I swapped tp a Single Trail. The cheaper versions of the uprights are pretty scary looking IMHO. There’s numerous new platform style ones in your budget...but having once tried one, I can’t recommend.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
Look for a SH Grip maybe. I sold my mint Tilty 2+2 for about that money when I swapped tp a Single Trail. The cheaper versions of the uprights are pretty scary looking IMHO. There’s numerous new platform style ones in your budget...but having once tried one, I can’t recommend.
Sadly, that's what I thought. There's a $500 upright being sold locally that looked about as stable as what I've got now.

Might have to play the waiting game for a SH unit. The Pole has survived me sitting on it so surely it'd be fine if the current carrier ejects it at freeway speeds.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Yep. For about a year now. You’ll eventually learn to stop worrying. With the bike on the roof, I can rock all 2300kg of the car with the bike and watch the panel flex under the sea suckers.

Make sure paint and suction cups are clean and you’re good to go. I check the cups are still tight every 60-90 mins.

goobags

Likes Dirt
On the windscreen because of roof length or visual reassurance?
Seemed like other people were doing it so I followed suit. Can’t remember what the instructions said. Rear wheel is very close to boot when it is open so it would definitely be tight on the roof if I moved it back.
And yes good visual indicator. Just need to pick the right spot so it doesn’t get hit by the windscreen wiper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recommend a secure good/cheap bike carrier - preferably towball/bar mount? I can also do roof mount if necessary but its a tall 4wd. Only needs to carry 1-2 bikes. Mostly used for short 10 minute trips to the tracks and home again. I had a Rhode Gear bike carrier that hooked onto the tailgate and it was amazing but it doesn't fit the new car! The bike also doesnt fit in my new car very well even though it is bigger

moorey

call me Mia
We have an old Yakima hold up (I think) for light duties on the wife’s car. Folds up when nir in use. A 30min hack allows it to tilt down and allow tail gate to open.

Binaural

Eats Squid
Can anyone recommend a secure good/cheap bike carrier - preferably towball/bar mount? I can also do roof mount if necessary but its a tall 4wd. Only needs to carry 1-2 bikes. Mostly used for short 10 minute trips to the tracks and home again. I had a Rhode Gear bike carrier that hooked onto the tailgate and it was amazing but it doesn't fit the new car! The bike also doesnt fit in my new car very well even though it is bigger
I recently bought a Yakima Hold Up 2 - works really well for 1-2 bikes. You do probably need to factor in 100 bucks for a light set though, so not quite as cheap as it looks.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
I recently bought a Seasucker (the single bike one). I can't fault the rack itself...super sturdy and ain't going nowhere....BUT... I have a 2018 VW Golf R and to get that amazing 0-100 acceleration, the roof must be made of thin alfoil because the metalic flexing noises when driving scare the crap out of me. I'll be selling my Seasucker in the next week or so.