BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

takai

Eats Squid
The best locking mechanism i've come across in all my years of mechanical fitting/maintenance is stainless steel everything and no anti-seize
Mmmmm, thats pretty galling.

Doesn't sound like TTY/plastic deformation to me (which implies permanent deformation even once the tension is removed per my understanding?). Sounds more like deep into the elastic deformation range, and limited uses/cycles to limit 'work hardening' or whatever the stretch version of that is...

NFI though - I obviously didn't design the engine, I was just the mug who was swinging on the 6-foot length of pipe trying to pull that final 90-deg angle-torque stage up.
Ok, longer explanation time. This is a basic Stress-strain curve (stolen shamelessly from Wikipedia)
Screenshot 2023-03-07 at 2.02.30 pm.png

The section of the curve between points 1 and 2 gives an area where most of the deformation will be relaxed when removing the strain from the bolt. However, as it is past the modulus of elasticity it will still retain some deformation. But here the manufacturer has determined that the residual strain and deformation is still within specifications for X number of cycles, before it shifts past the elastic limit of the bolt. Each time the bolt is torqued it will retain more strain until it is eventually useless for their purposes. But being able to work within the elastic to proportional limits allows for a bit of wiggle room and therefore better serviceability.

All of this, however, is far beyond what your average two left handed no thumbs shifting spanner user will do.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Question for the Single Trail racks brains trust.

I stupidly stripped the anti wobble bolt on my vertical rack. Pulled it out ok, but can’t tell if it’s m10 1.25 or 1.00 (definitely seems finer than 1.5). Because it’s stripped about 2/3 along I can’t get it to go into anything smoothly.

emailed sales for the co already, but anyone here had to replace this before?

Wake Jake

Eats Squid

I stupidly stripped the anti wobble bolt on my vertical rack. Pulled it out ok, but can’t tell if it’s m10 1.25 or 1.00 (definitely seems finer than 1.5). Because it’s stripped about 2/3 along I can’t get it to go into anything smoothly.

There was a faulty batch that mine was included in. Mitch sent out some replacement and some additional sets.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out

He sent me out 2 new bolts and nut plates.

I only used one so got a spare here as I sold my V1 rack, V3 rack has a bigger bolt.

Could send you it but Mitch will be all over it.

If for some strange reason you haven't heard back by tomorrow morning, I'll send you it. Public holiday here in SA today.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Update: the ST guys got me back up and running quickly. Sent a replacement nut plate and bolt, plus one that is a bigger size.

I’ve installed the same size one for now. But if I have any more issues (and feel like buying a 16mm drill bit) I’ll throw the bigger one on.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
So I don't normally do this, but we are running a giveaway until the 31st of May, info here, for every $5 spent on anything at a selected stockist you get an entry to a random draw.

Last edited:
Has anyone got the Shingleback lite or Sport with the tilt feature (to allow for ebike to be wheeled on somewhat)?

Seeing how fiddly it is to use vs the single trail?

Currently have a Shingleback classic, however need to carry two ebikes & need a higher weight carrying capacity and the tilt feature would be good to use.