BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

moorey

call me Mia
The rack and the adapter held up under the weight of an Orange, so I'll go out on a limb and suggest its pretty robust :) Not the prettiest welds I've ever done though...

View attachment 394887
You’re carrying one bike, and only driving on smooth roads, I can’t see an issue, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend emulating this with multiple bikes and going off road.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
You’re carrying one bike, and only driving on smooth roads, I can’t see an issue, but I certainly wouldn’t recommend emulating this with multiple bikes and going off road.
It's done two bikes plenty, including 8 hours bouncing down the Hume (with Kirsty's 16kg Soma and the Orange on it) and the back roads from Violet Town to Castlemaine. Its not something I'd recommend for crossing the Simpson, but its not breaking anytime soon.

Haakon

Anyway, for a normal car its been great. Easy to attach, easy to load and many thousands of trouble free use. I still like it.

moorey

call me Mia
Anyway, for a normal car its been great. Easy to attach, easy to load and many thousands of trouble free use. I still like it.
I’m not saying it will fail, or not to like it. You do you.
Having had one of the most overbuilt and reputable racks fail on a highway after 12 months of light use, I’m firmly in camp cautious, and horrified at some of the setups I see at races.
$40-60k worth of bikes on a home made or cheap flimsy rack makes me wince. I don’t know if anyone’s insurance would cover a rack fail if one snapped and a car/motorcycle behind you hit it, but I’m sure it would be less problematic with a professionally engineered setup.
You’re not doing that, I’m just saying.

Haakon

I’m not saying it will fail, or not to like it. You do you.
Having had one of the most overbuilt and reputable racks fail on a highway after 12 months of light use, I’m firmly in camp cautious, and horrified at some of the setups I see at races.
$40-60k worth of bikes on a home made or cheap flimsy rack makes me wince. I don’t know if anyone’s insurance would cover a rack fail if one snapped and a car/motorcycle behind you hit it, but I’m sure it would be less problematic with a professionally engineered setup.
You’re not doing that, I’m just saying.
Me too, having the bikes on the road is a nightmare I’m super keen to avoid!!!

The clampy contraption I’d consider the weak point, so was sure to check I wasn’t loading it beyond it’s design brief. But it’s rated for use muchheavier than I’vegot it loaded in Germany - and if it’s going on an autobahn the authorities there are very very conservative!!

Haakon

for reference this is my system. i currently have the towball off so it doesn't rust on it again ><

would a straight towball mount work or should i consider a tow hitch adaptor ?

View attachment 394895
Up to you. There is no really good solution for these Australian design towbars. One of the reasons I don’t like them…

On my towbar, the ball can’t rotate. But yours can so you’re relying on the nut being bloody tight!! Which might be fine, but it would be in the back of my mind…

The rack company I listed is the best for those sort of towbars I’ve seen as their adapters (there are two or theee types I think) make the best attempt at addressing that issue.

Sky_Collapsed

Not particularly enlightened
I don't even own a welder. is the main issue with something that mounts on the towball just the potential movement of the towball itself unlocking/dislodging the locking mechanism? or is it just an insecure system overall?

I can get the towball on tight as fuck and i bet it could doubled with some threading glue

Haakon

I don't even own a welder. is the main issue with something that mounts on the towball just the potential movement of the towball itself unlocking/dislodging the locking mechanism? or is it just an insecure system overall?

I can get the towball on tight as fuck and i bet it could doubled with some threading glue
Issue would be the whole rack pivoting as the ball turned and smacking your bike into the back of the car.
I haven’t tried other ball clamping arrangements, but they’re standard practice in Europe and I think are a tried and reliable system.
Obviously you’re not hanging a vertical rack with 6 e-bikes off of one, but for a 2 bike platform rack they’re good.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah that's how my current one attatches except its a platform design and weighs 90ton.

Anywho having a bit of a gander and just wondering what people think of this selection?

I had a Yakima FoldClick, which is similar to the JustClick. Was a good rack. Bit tricky with 4 bikes as all the support arms had to go back to one bar near the back of the car. Took a bit of planning on bike positioning but was sturdy and I never worried it would drop a bike.

Edit: As discussed by others, I did have one instance of the ball turning in the receiver with the rack mounted. Didn’t turn enough to contact the car luckily. I had 4 dual suspension bikes on it and I was driving on a rough, rutted track for about 1km. After this incident I used a rattle gun and did the ball up to many ugga duggas but never used it off-road again. I think this Style of rack would be perfectly suited to regular roads but not off-road.

Last edited:

Haakon

I had a Yakima FoldClick, which is similar to the JustClick. Was a good rack. Bit tricky with 4 bikes as all the support arms had to go back to one bar near the back of the car. Took a bit of planning on bike positioning but was sturdy and I never worried it would drop a bike.
That’s an issue with my two bike rack - one vertical arm means some planning required to get them both in a position where they’re appropriately hooked…
Platform rack with a separate vertical shaft for clamping/hooking each bike is the go for sure.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That’s an issue with my two bike rack - one vertical arm means some planning required to get them both in a position where they’re appropriately hooked…
Platform rack with a separate vertical shaft for clamping/hooking each bike is the go for sure.
@madstace has a similarly designed rack that has a centralised bar and the bikes are held in pairs so there is less issue with frame positioning. Was waaaay cheaper than my Yakima too.

Haakon

@madstace has a similarly designed rack that has a centralised bar and the bikes are held in pairs so there is less issue with frame positioning. Was waaaay cheaper than my Yakima too.
It can be done, just a bit of faff. More of a faff with some combinations than others - the Trance has a distinct u shape to the top tube thats a pain when together with the Orange that has a similar valley, lining them up is tricky. Either mountain bike with roadie is ok as the roadie has a level-ish flat top tube...

Every combination is a bit of a puzzle challenge is all :)

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can be done, just a bit of faff. More of a faff with some combinations than others - the Trance has a distinct u shape to the top tube thats a pain when together with the Orange that has a similar valley, lining them up is tricky. Either mountain bike with roadie is ok as the roadie has a level-ish flat top tube...

Every combination is a bit of a puzzle challenge is all :)
Mine was not fun with an XL Banshee Prime, M step through beach cruiser, XS Giant hardtail 26” and a Scott Scale Jr 20”. Eventually I succumbed to the Single Trail and my sanity thanks me for it every time.