BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Care to share your rack maker @richie_gt?

AMS Metal Sports - Mick was good to deal with, I had some questions around the tilt function of the rack, measurements and ground clearances and he took the time to call me to give some check measurements.

petertronica

Likes Dirt
I have a similar rack to the isi 2 bike rack (mine's a cheaper one and not such good quality but same securing method).

The problem I have is with this method of securing the bikes - clamping down on the top tube. It doesn't matter what I put under the hooks that clamp on the frame, on a long journey they rub. And they will rub through anything. I would definately not recommend for a carbon frame. I think I'll get the Yakima holdup evo next, just holds the wheel, doesn't contact the frame. I'd prefer there to be no plastic parts but don't have a spare kindney for a 1up rack.

I have the isi two bike jobbie and it has been excellent. Are they in budget? Mine does any combination of two of...large 26" fatbike or Weirdarse lefty 29er or 27.5 dually or xs 26" hardtail step through thingy. George was great to deal with, he even gave me some info so I could make a copy base to fit my camper.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I'm looking for a rear mount rack that will hold two bikes, one with 29 wheels and the wheel base of the modern geo bikes.

Of course I like the gripsport racks and others of that standard, but I'm not looking to fork out well over $1k for this - I just don't feel that it's required for something that's relatively simple (happy to hear disagreement on what this is ignorant).

Are there any decent options out there for around $800 that people have experience with? Or even better, any around that price point that I should avoid?
Another plug for the cycling deal job (when its in stock...) CB-640A

Only caveat is that as with all racks that have one vertical pole to clamp, its a bit of fiddle with two bike getting the hook in a good position on both top tubes. Its perfect for one bike though - its literally a 5 second loading procedure.

Last edited:

Haakon

I have a similar rack to the isi 2 bike rack (mine's a cheaper one and not such good quality but same securing method).

The problem I have is with this method of securing the bikes - clamping down on the top tube. It doesn't matter what I put under the hooks that clamp on the frame, on a long journey they rub. And they will rub through anything. I would definately not recommend for a carbon frame. I think I'll get the Yakima holdup evo next, just holds the wheel, doesn't contact the frame. I'd prefer there to be no plastic parts but don't have a spare kindney for a 1up rack.
On long trips I put cloth tape on the top tube... And I always use a bit of foam under the hook. Never ever marked the paint in any way ;)

Haakon

All sorts wrong with that picture.

ACT plate, an Alfa, a different VIC plate and an orange Orange :oops:
I have at least updated this to have matching Tas plates on the Alfa and rack :)

And yeah, I suspected it would be terribly uncool to get an orange Orange but I sorta like it :) This is not a bike one should take seriously, its a lout and a loud colour felt appropriate!

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
All sorts wrong with that picture.

ACT plate, an Alfa, a different VIC plate and an orange Orange :oops:
Paving needs a sweep, an Alfa, the bike sticks out 17 bananas past the guards, an Alfa. And don't get me started on the line up errors on the decals and tyres. Criminal. And an Alfa.

nathanm

Eats Squid
I made my own. The shs is a standard size.
Yeah $199 for a shingleback one is ambitious. I'm getting a mate to make one as well, but I wanted some feedback before I start drilling holes into my garage floor. What should I be looking out for? what adjustments/customisation should I make or is it just a basic bit of kit that works regardless?

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yeah $199 for a shingleback one is ambitious. I'm getting a mate to make one as well, but I wanted some feedback before I start drilling holes into my garage floor. What should I be looking out for? what adjustments/customisation should I make or is it just a basic bit of kit that works regardless?
I think you need to work out sizing to suit your location. I made up a mount that goes on the camper but can be free-standing in the shed or bush. Whole thing cost me about $30 plus scraps and time. I got the drawbar shs as a short offcut for nix. It is pricey per metre.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Another plug for the cycling deal job (when its in stock...) CB-640A

Only caveat is that as with all racks that have one vertical pole to clamp, its a bit of fiddle with two bike getting the hook in a good position on both top tubes. Its perfect for one bike though - its literally a 5 second loading procedure.

View attachment 391142
Yeah, thanks. I have been thinking about them as it's going to be a good few years until I need to put a second bike on for holiday trips and whatnot. So it might make sense to grab a cheaper one at the moment (spend the other money set aside for this on a new rear shock!) and upgrade to something like ISI when we start doing family trips with more than one bike.

Haakon

Paving needs a sweep, an Alfa, the bike sticks out 17 bananas past the guards, an Alfa. And don't get me started on the line up errors on the decals and tyres. Criminal. And an Alfa.
That photo does make it seem very wide though... In reality it does stick out the sides, but not wider than the mirrors.

Haakon

Yeah, thanks. I have been thinking about them as it's going to be a good few years until I need to put a second bike on for holiday trips and whatnot. So it might make sense to grab a cheaper one at the moment (spend the other money set aside for this on a new rear shock!) and upgrade to something like ISI when we start doing family trips with more than one bike.
Heres the same one on eBay 272410230576