BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

Switch

huskier headed gent
Looks like you have already made you purchase Rorschach but for those playing at home the Rocky Mounts Solo is a really good bit of kit with a weight capacity of 27kg (reduces if you convert it to two bikes). I ended up purchasing one for the ebike as most other single racks won't take as much weight and I have been really happy with it. Use the vertical rack when taking all the family bikes but for solo's it's five minutes to install and go.

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Looks like you have already made you purchase Rorschach but for those playing at home the Rocky Mounts Solo is a really good bit of kit with a weight capacity of 27kg (reduces if you convert it to two bikes). I ended up purchasing one for the ebike as most other single racks won't take as much weight and I have been really happy with it. Use the vertical rack when taking all the family bikes but for solo's it's five minutes to install and go.
I had a look and was keen, but it was getting hold of one that was the issue as no one stocks them locally

Switch

huskier headed gent
I had a look and was keen, but it was getting hold of one that was the issue as no one stocks them locally
I got lucky and picked one up from 99bikes for $311 delivered mid last year as regionally based online shopping is my friend.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've deleted a bunch of posts. This has been a productive thread for a fair while and the last few pages have been junk. Not aiming to offend anyone or step on toes but that's not how we roll. ;)
Hey! I thought my marketing advice was good.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I've deleted a bunch of posts. This has been a productive thread for a fair while and the last few pages have been junk. Not aiming to offend anyone or step on toes but that's not how we roll. ;)
Please tell us there was a banning too.

That was pure-bred flog.

treble

Likes Dirt
I'm looking to replace an old Gripsport 2+2 with an upright rack. I've seen Singletrail and Shingleback both make 4UP options that look appealing. Seems to be a lot of love for the Singletrail Rack on here. What makes the singletrail "better?" and is there another contender I'm missing?

This has probably already been asked and answered, but I read back nearly 20 pages and couldn't find much detail.

moorey

call me Mia
I'm looking to replace an old Gripsport 2+2 with an upright rack. I've seen Singletrail and Shingleback both make 4UP options that look appealing. Seems to be a lot of love for the Singletrail Rack on here. What makes the singletrail "better?" and is there another contender I'm missing?

This has probably already been asked and answered, but I read back nearly 20 pages and couldn't find much detail.
There aren’t any bad options in the most popular 1/2 dozen. I’ve seen hundreds of models of each, and others, at races and events over the years.
I prefer the singletrail for the ease of loading/unloading. The cam rope takes seconds. 4 bikes loaded or unloaded in 30 seconds. Also, nothing touches saying critical on the bike. Tyre on hoop, rope around pedal axle. Elastic loops on other brands can be fiddly and can still bounce around a little.
I also think the ST is the sturdiest. It comes with a weight penalty, but for me, that’s the lowest on my priority list. Also, mine stays on the ute 24/7.
Mitch also backs his product 100%. If you have any issues, he’ll immediately sort it.
All the good ones are dear, ST is probably the dearest, but again, it’s a ‘buy once buy right’ thing for me. Ease of use and bike security are paramount.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
There aren’t any bad options in the most popular 1/2 dozen. I’ve seen hundreds of models of each, and others, at races and events over the years.
I prefer the singletrail for the ease of loading/unloading. The cam rope takes seconds. 4 bikes loaded or unloaded in 30 seconds. Also, nothing touches saying critical on the bike. Tyre on hoop, rope around pedal axle. Elastic loops on other brands can be fiddly and can still bounce around a little.
I also think the ST is the sturdiest. It comes with a weight penalty, but for me, that’s the lowest on my priority list. Also, mine stays on the ute 24/7.
Mitch also backs his product 100%. If you have any issues, he’ll immediately sort it.
All the good ones are dear, ST is probably the dearest, but again, it’s a ‘buy once buy right’ thing for me. Ease of use and bike security are paramount.
I have not used any other upright rack, but I'll back @moorey on the ease of use. Mine too lives outside and I've never had a problem. And I have to take his word, but even if it is the heaviest, I can still mount it on the car by myself.

The only issue I have had with anything is with the illuminated number plate board, but that wasn't anything to do with Mitch, we were absolutely dumped on while driving to Adelaide and a bit of water has made it's way in.

moorey

call me Mia
I have a vague, possibly incorrect memory that @treble is of the fairer sex? If so, my diminutive wife would struggle alone with our 5x. But there’s also the carrier trolly deallie you can buy to help fit/remove/move around/store the rack/store bikes in shed.