Bike path along Majura Parkway in Canberra?

Olbert

Squid
I checked out Majura pines in canberra for the first time since it was partially opened today and I found (aside from the awesomeness) was way a cycle from that seemed to run parallel to the Majura Parkway. I work at the airport and so it would be awesome to be able to get straight to Majura Pines after work without going the long way round! Can anyone provide the details of that cycleway?

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I checked out Majura pines in canberra for the first time since it was partially opened today and I found (aside from the awesomeness) was way a cycle from that seemed to run parallel to the Majura Parkway. I work at the airport and so it would be awesome to be able to get straight to Majura Pines after work without going the long way round! Can anyone provide the details of that cycleway?
The project page says "The 11.5 kilometre, dual carriageway Majura Parkway will feature 3.5 metre wide traffic lanes with on-road cycle lanes and an off road shared user path." I wouldn't expect you'd be able to ride any of those until the project was completed and the road opened though - especially the on-road lanes.

Olbert

Squid
The project page says "The 11.5 kilometre, dual carriageway Majura Parkway will feature 3.5 metre wide traffic lanes with on-road cycle lanes and an off road shared user path." I wouldn't expect you'd be able to ride any of those until the project was completed and the road opened though - especially the on-road lanes.
Thanks but that website also states that the cycleway in Fairbarn Ave would be open in "early 2015".

On my ride I crossed a newly finished cycle path, not on the new Majura Parkway but running parallel to it. There was no signage stating no access or the like, as there is for other parts of the roadworks and I even saw people riding along it! I figure this cycle way provides access to either the old Majura Rd of the new Majura Parkway but I don't know and can't find anything online. Either way it makes my commute home from the airport a lot better (I hope!).

I would like to know where the cycle path comes out and how to access it.

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Yeah, its open and you get to it from the north side of the new overpass they're still working on down from the barracks.

But I've not bothered riding on it yet when there is a nice three lane bike path there :heh: Straight up the fast lane of the freeway baby!!:dance:

I'm in Narrabundah and its been a nice Sunday arvo road bike ride favourite for a while now - through the wetlands, straight up the middle of the finished but unopened freeway, pop up the Mt Majura hill to the radar and back down, up Federal Highway to the border and back down the new and empty freeway.

Last edited:

Olbert

Squid
Yeah, its open and you get to it from the north side of the new overpass they're still working on down from the barracks.
I rode home from the Airport this afternoon and went my usual detour through ADFA/Duntroon.

So I'm still a bit hazy on where the bike track starts. There is still a sign up on Pialligo Rd from the airport saying no access for cyclists past Majura Rd on Fairbarn Ave. If that is still the case then I'm not sure how to get to the cycleway.

Last edited:

Olbert

Squid
Thank you for that! I know exactly where that is because I drive past it every day.

It's still on the other side of the no cyclist bit, so I have the option of taking the ADFA/Duntroon detour and then coming at it from the other side, or just heading up Majura Rd until I can get onto the cycle way from there. I might try the Majura Rd option tomorrow and see how close I come to dying riding on the shoulder in peak traffic.