Bike cage etiquette

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Mine are listed under the contents but covered away from home as well - not portable item coverage - I am covered for all scenarios except if I am actually riding it when damage or theft occurs. A lot of people don’t realise if you don’t list your bikes they are covered as sporting goods inside the home and will have a limit of around 1 k per item if fire or theft occurs in the home.
Yep, what you said... Couldn't figure out how to word it. :oops: For my policy they were quite specific about only covering for theft from vehicle if it was locked inside the car though. Otherwise, all sounds same.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yeah, not cool to move another bike. Get up earlier and keep your hands to yourself ;)

Maybe we should start an insurance thread...

I recently moved my H&C from CGU Platinum which insures everything I own, away from the house and for accidental damage, bikes insured up to 20k each.
They changed their wording and I couldn't get a straight answer if 'several bikes' were now a collection or not.

Moved to a local company called Elders that are underwritten by CGU, same deal as Platinum but $300 cheaper and a letter/email specifying that my bikes were single items and insured for their full value.

We own a fluctuating count of 15-20 bikes usually but recently did a roadie cull so sitting around 12-13 currently.

Way too hard to name and list bikes specifically.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Haven’t you not ridden in months? Thought I read that somewhere. Maybe you’ve taken someone else’s spot.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Haven’t you not ridden in months? Thought I read that somewhere. Maybe you’ve taken someone else’s spot.
Apparently I did - only been back on commuting a couple of weeks and i tend to start earlier than most. Doesn't excuse the moving though ;)

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
Regarding insurance I have Youi home and contents with accidental loss and damage. All bikes covered agreed value anywhere in the country any reason for theft. Excess is about $600 but all bikes are worth heaps and have been ridden heaps so $600 is a cheap new bike.

D01

Likes Dirt
Yep, when I worked on European cars in the 90's, the brand-new cars were always the cars that people keyed in city carparks. Some people are just pure arseholes with no life.
You're talking about the self entitled arseholes whose privilege means they can park any size vehicle in any size parking spot, and excludes them from any consideration of space for anyone wanting to get into or out of adjacent cars or the angle of their parked car?

Flow-Rider

Burner
You're talking about the self entitled arseholes whose privilege means they can park any size vehicle in any size parking spot, and excludes them from any consideration of space for anyone wanting to get into or out of adjacent cars or the angle of their parked car?
No mate, they didn't have fuckwits owning cars like that back then because banks wouldn't loan them money, it was cars like BMW 318i's.

Reactions: D01

Switch

huskier headed gent
Regarding insurance I have Youi home and contents with accidental loss and damage. All bikes covered agreed value anywhere in the country any reason for theft. Excess is about $600 but all bikes are worth heaps and have been ridden heaps so $600 is a cheap new bike.
That is assuming Youi pay up, we had a big house claim with them and they were an absolute nightmare to deal with. Had to go all the way to the ombudsman, they were doctoring phone calls the works. Youi's catch phrase of "we get you" should be taken literally.

Switch

huskier headed gent
did they pay up eventually?
Yes, had to actually pay us out so we could have the whole job redone. Every time we asked for a minor item they would question it and it would cost them way more. For example at the end of the job the house was filthy so we asked for it to be cleaned, maybe $300 to do the job. Instead they had someone come from 3 hours away to take swab tests (blackwater flood from a fish tank) which ended up coming back positive and cost thousands for new couch, clothing etc.

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
yeah insurance companies can be a dog to deal with, though if you're persistent , know your rights and how to argue around policy exclusions in a way that seems "reasonable to a reasonable person", you generally come out ok.

I'm with Youi, and thankfully have not had to rely on them for anything serious. Had the car break down and their roadside assist was great though.