Bike access along Fairbarn Ave through Majura Parkway roadworks

Olbert

Squid
I'm confused as the current access arrangements on Fairbairn Ave. Until recently the ACT government website suggested that cycle access along Fairbairn Ave past the roadworks would be closed until "early 2015". This bit of text has been replaced with some text saying that the cycle path along the Majura Parkway is now open - there is now no mention of cyclist detours for Fairbairn Ave.

There are still signs from either direction saying no access for cyclists and to detour through ADFA/Duntroon, however these signs direct away from the newly opened cycle paths. So presumably they are out of date, otherwise how do you access what you should be able to legitimately access?

The road itself has enough room on the side of the road for cyclists except for a small section underneath the bridge. This section is two lanes up against a concrete barrier for about 15m. It somewhat resembles the current situation on all the way up Limestone Ave - which is legally accessible to cyclists.

To add to the confusion, there is now a small (~20m) section of completed cycle path outside the concrete barrier running East beside Fairbairn Ave from the pedestrian crossing into the roadworks. This path is completely finished - it even has line markings and signs pointing to Fyshwick - yet it only leads to the construction site. It's a stub.

So my question is this: is it now legitimate to access the new Majura Park cycleway up Fairbairn Ave from the Airport? This would make my ride home about 10 minutes quicker without the supremely annoying detour through ADFA/Duntroon.

Klips

Likes Dirt
The whole thing is a clusterfuck. There's a similar but different problem with the bicycle path up Majura parkway, you can read about it on the Vikings cycling forum. I'd send this post to Pedal Power, they're pretty good about getting things resolved.