Better substitute for GatorPowerAde?

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
I love downing a Brand Name Sports Drink after a long ride, but the bloody things are 40% sugar, which isn't really helping with the stated goal. What's a better alternative that will replace the essentials without making me a candidate for the ol' Type 2?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Scivation Xtend.

I can send you a sample if you'd like. Who doesn't want to receive powder in the mail?

Last edited:

bhibbert

Likes Bikes
Aqualyte. Bit expensive but very good, not strong taste as minimal sugar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I love downing a Brand Name Sports Drink after a long ride, but the bloody things are 40% sugar, which isn't really helping with the stated goal. What's a better alternative that will replace the essentials without making me a candidate for the ol' Type 2?
If the purpose is recovery then good old chocolate milk or any of the magnitude of recovery powders, I'm quite partial to Torq.
In terms of pure electrolyte replacement with no calories I would suggest something like Nuun tablets or similar.

poita

Likes Dirt
I find Hydralyte Sports the best for me, if I recall correctly it has no carbs, just electrolytes. The electrolyte mix that works for you will depend though.

John U

MTB Precision
Gatorade isn't anything like 40% sugar unless you're eating the powder. Not sure if that influences your concern. You might've misread the label. It's more like 6.3 grams per 100ml (6.3%). I think milk is about 5% for perspective.

I use Tailwind when racing or training hard. It's expensive but it stopped my cramping.

Hydralyte is 20g/litre by their site. That's a confusing way to represent it as nutrition labels always represent it as per 100ml which allows direct conversion to %. This makes Hydralyte 2% sugar.

I'm pretty familiar with the nutrition labelling. Being a type 1 diabetic for years it is the first thing I look at on food I haven't seen before.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You need to get onto the Arbonne products mate, the stuff is that good that it even convinced a skeptic like me that it is by far the best thing you can use before, during and after exercise. The Phytosport range is compiled of mainly plant based materials and does what it says it does. I used to get cramps and even gastro from drinking Powerades, Gatorades etc when playing basketball and mountain biking so I ditched all that shit, it's junk. I didn't have much of a belief in energy drinks or supplements that would actually improve my lifestyle but after discovering this gear.........I cannot do any sort of exercise or activity without.
https://www.arbonne.com/discover/products/phytosport.shtml
My wife is an Arbonne manager, we get the stuff quite cheap and can pass on those savings to those looking to buy. It is that good and it is exactly what you need to replace the sugary drinks. ;)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Call me fucking crazy, but have you tried water? You'll be surprised at just how good it is...my usual ride is ~5hrs (7km to/from location + a bunch of freeride trails and dirt jumps) of ride-push-repeat with a bit of sitting under the trees thrown in. I drink a lot while on the trails and smash 1 to 2 litres of water through when I get home to flush out the bad. Then hydration as normal. If it has been a particularly strenuous day i enjoy a ginger beer...

If you must consume a magic product, keep an eye out for a Japanese drink called Pocari Sweat. Sometimes you do need to put the sweat back in!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocari_Sweat

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Gatorade isn't anything like 40% sugar unless you're eating the powder. Not sure if that influences your concern. You might've misread the label.
I sure did! The 40% refers to how much of the recommended daily sugar intake it contains.

It's more like 6.3 grams per 100ml (6.3%). I think milk is about 5% for perspective.
That's not too bad.

I use Tailwind when racing or training hard. It's expensive but it stopped my cramping.
Cramps aren't really an issue, just looking for general electrolyte replacement.

Hydralyte is 20g/litre by their site. That's a confusing way to represent it as nutrition labels always represent it as per 100ml which allows direct conversion to %. This makes Hydralyte 2% sugar.
That's even better, and it seems to be a popular choice, so I'll look into it.

I'm pretty familiar with the nutrition labelling. Being a type 1 diabetic for years it is the first thing I look at on food I haven't seen before.
I will defer to your experience. Cheers!

Thanks for the replies everyone. Keep 'em coming, it's always good to get a variety of opinions.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Call me fucking crazy, but have you tried water? You'll be surprised at just how good it is...my usual ride is ~5hrs (7km to/from location + a bunch of freeride trails and dirt jumps) of ride-push-repeat with a bit of sitting under the trees thrown in. I drink a lot while on the trails and smash 1 to 2 litres of water through when I get home to flush out the bad. Then hydration as normal. If it has been a particularly strenuous day i enjoy a ginger beer...
I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure water doesn't contain much in the way of electrolytes and such. You're fucking crazy!

If you must consume a magic product, keep an eye out for a Japanese drink called Pocari Sweat. Sometimes you do need to put the sweat back in!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocari_Sweat
I've heard of that. It sounds...unappealing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure water doesn't contain much in the way of electrolytes and such. You're fucking crazy!

I've heard of that. It sounds...unappealing.
I'm open minded about such things, but I've never felt any improvement/advantage from drinking a good range of the magic drinks over water. Maybe someone has some compelling experience or knowledge? Otherwise each a meal with some (old school phrase) complex carbs and protein in it post ride and reap the recovery rewards...

The sweat is much nicer than it sounds.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Are you an electrolyte addict ?

Over rated except in seriously extreme riding conditions. Next thing you'll be after is vitamin tablets and one of those electric shock thingies that move your muscles for you.

If you dont need the sugar then you surely dont need the electrolytes either. ;0

SDA

Likes Dirt
Endura Rehydration Performance Fuel is good. You can normally pick it up on special from Chemist Warehouse of local discount Vitamins store.

I found it after going through the same thing - not wanting to drink sugary sports drinks anymore.

Anyway, suggest to use it before hand rather than after. I usually drink about 750ml in the car on the way to a ride, and then only water during a ride. I can now last about 2hrs with only a 600ml water bottle - which works really well for me, as I no longer want to wear a backpack.

Last edited:

SDA

Likes Dirt
Last edited: