Best Value 29er Wheel Upgrade in 2014

marc.r

Likes Dirt
So I just bought a 29er and have decided to give it a chance for a while despite having a long founded love for smaller wheels. I got a good deal and decided if 29ers were ever going to be sorted they should be by now and bought a 2014 stumpy evo. (its about 14kg :()

Admittedly im faster in general over my usual routes however I definitely notice the heavy stock wheels leading to slower acceleration and more momentum to overcome when changing lines/cornering which makes me "feel" like im slower and having less fun sometimes.

im looking at overcoming this by upgrading wheels. the bikes a bit of a heavyweight in general but I think if im going to save weight anywhere it should be on the wheelset... right?

im guessing the current wheelset is about 2100gm. crap specialized hubs with 24mm ID roval al rims. straight 2mm spokes.

So.

option 1. Hope Hoops Arch ex 21mm ID 1950gm. approx $580. (wiggle, crc, merlin etc)

option 2. 2014 Crank Brothers Iodine 2 23mm ID (local aussie stock from pushy's) 1850gm $450

option 3. american classic AM 1850gm 21mm ID (local aussie stock from cellbikes) $640

option 4. raceface turbine 29er 1850gm 23mm ID (chainreaction) $620

option 5. light bicycle 29er 1450gm 21mm ID $705. (ebay)

from what I can determine the best value would either be (shock horror) the iodines and if I want to really drop weight the light bike carbon wheels... however this is getting quite pricey!

am I missing something here? is it even worth upgrading to slightly lighter aluminium wheelset given my current wheels are tubeless and have good rim width already?

I want to try and make this relationship with the 29er work before I discard it and go back to a smaller wheel size! is there somewhere else that I could reasonably save weight on this tank?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are the hubs dt internals / star ratchet rovals ? If so, maybe look at a rebuild with some Chinese carbon rims.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Are the hubs dt internals / star ratchet rovals ? If so, maybe look at a rebuild with some Chinese carbon rims.
they arnt roval hubs :( generic cheapo specialized branded hi lo hubs. not the roval hubs with the dt internals unfortunately.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
bang for buck, the LB's wheels are the best... if you're talking dollars per grab lost. the CB's are next, but also a cheaper option.
another thing to look at is tyres, some can be quite hefty; especially with wire beads.

CB's and some lighter tyres will be noticeable, LB's will be night and day!

k3n!f

leaking out the other end
Don't forget about NoTubes.com. Their cheapest Crest wheelset comes in at 1585g, for $595USD, has a full 32 spokes per wheel and great reliability. Thats an impressive weight as my Crest/Dt Swiss 240 combo is 1580g with tape and valves.

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-29er-Stock-Wheelset-P452.aspx

What tires are you running by the way? Best bang for your buck upgrade might be tires first. Standard Racing Ralphs are 550g each, up to 630g if you want snake skin protection.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
CB 2's are not good value at any price. They only have 2 bearing rear hubs. I like Hope's but not Stan's rims. Merlin will build you hope/mavic UST wheels for a decent price. Otherwise, custom is possible...

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Don't forget about NoTubes.com. Their cheapest Crest wheelset comes in at 1585g, for $595USD, has a full 32 spokes per wheel and great reliability. Thats an impressive weight as my Crest/Dt Swiss 240 combo is 1580g with tape and valves.

http://www.notubes.com/ZTR-Crest-29er-Stock-Wheelset-P452.aspx

What tires are you running by the way? Best bang for your buck upgrade might be tires first. Standard Racing Ralphs are 550g each, up to 630g if you want snake skin protection.
looking for something a little more robust... arch is about as weak as I would be willing to go.

tyre combo would prob be ardent, ardent race front and rear. not looking to give up on traction or strength. also would prefer a wider rim profile thats why 23mm ID rims are most preferences.

jossa

Likes Bikes
Whenever I get a chance to recommend Greg at TWE, I will. He built me up some Arch EX on my Hopes that have been faultless and true for 2 and a half years. I'm not light or gentle!! The only issue I had was when I pushed the rear derailliuer into the spokes. Sent the wheel to him and it was repaired within the day. If you use his own hubs he repairs any crash damage free of charge. Great guy to talk and deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alixta

Squid
I went from crests to LB 'wider' rims, then to LB 35mm rims. Each step a very noticeable upgrade. Very stiff & fast. Well worth the $$$. Talk to Stu @ defconcycles.com.au he's all over the carbon rim thing.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Save yourself the fluffing around and go the LB route first up.
The wider carbon rims make such a huge difference, the other wheels are all in a different category for performance.

I'm fairly certain if you went for one of your other options you might enjoy it, but the lure of carbon and at that width will eventually get you.

marc.r

Likes Dirt
CB 2's are not good value at any price. They only have 2 bearing rear hubs. I like Hope's but not Stan's rims. Merlin will build you hope/mavic UST wheels for a decent price. Otherwise, custom is possible...
are you sure? all the research that ive done suggests that modern CB wheels have 4 bearing rears... I know that they have a bad wrap and their earlier hubs were shithouse but all reviews of recent models suggest while they are basica and have low POE they are pretty bombproof.

that being said leaning towards light bikes wheels. it seems there will be a bit of a wait though as everyone else of the planet seems to want a pair this season too....

silentbutdeadly

Yep. I have 2nd gen cobalts with 4 bearing rear hubs and have found them excellent but I wouldn't cash up for the 2's.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What is the benefit of someone like TWE building a set of wheels v the stans from CRC/Wiggle etc? Also, are they about the same kinda price. I don't want to go calling up Greg from TWE to inquire about prices just to satisfy my curiosity.

Minlak

custom titis
TWE will build the wheels exactly for your weight and riding style. In my experience he is very well priced and has fantastic back up service. He also understands in the business he is in that not very one that talks to him will buy. Throw him an email and ask is my advice.

silentbutdeadly

What is the benefit of someone like TWE building a set of wheels v the stans from CRC/Wiggle etc? Also, are they about the same kinda price. I don't want to go calling up Greg from TWE to inquire about prices just to satisfy my curiosity.
They are made for you and they are recyclable - well the hubs are if you choose well. But they are not cheaper.

I've had XLR8 Wheels make me some XC wheels just recently and they weren't cheap. But only $90 was the actual build cost...the rest mostly was due to my choice of parts. Josh was happy to use components that you source but also has access to a full range of madness.

camoshop

Banned
I'm also on the lookout for an upgrade of my current wheels that came on the anthem, (Giant P-XC2 Alloy, double wall Hubs Giant Tracker Sport Disc,) they got a slight buckle in both wheels after a few rides then after being trued after the first service they have buckled again. the plan is to get a set of these DT Swiss M 1900 Spline 29 MTB Wheelset (15mm/12x142mm)
http://www.pushys.com.au/dt-swiss-m...6&cadevice=c&gclid=CPXn-Z_uzr4CFRMHvAod4K8AkA
the plan is to get some 10mm end caps and run a 10mm dtswiss rws axle, my question is are these a good quality wise for the price, I'm not to fussed on weight.

cheers,
cam

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Camoshop,
DT Swiss wheels will never win prizes for being the lightest, but their hubs are just workhorses simple effective and do the job. Their rims are ok- not great but definitely not the worst. For $350 odd dollars for a set of wheels thats pretty cheap and replacement spokes and serviceability of hubs they are fantastic. Weight is of concern but you are coming from a set of OE Giant wheels, which are known to be boat anchors, so I guess you won't be going backwards if you were to buy these wheels.

quiggs