Bells...

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
That is seriously nice. If I have to fuckup my bike by putting a bell on it I think I could justify spending that.

fallingwater

Likes Bikes
What a load of sh*t!!!

Who has EVER had to show their horn was working when pulled for a RBT?
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Flow-Rider

Burner
They started booking people on Cootha because it was bicycle awareness week. That was a response someone was told.

Rhys_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I hate the things. When I think of bells it's noise pollution, startled people stumbling over each other to get out of the way, and the impression of bikers barging through thinking we own everything. Just general commotion.

Cruising past in a gap at a reasonable speed or the odd yell/freehub spin for total blockages does the trick for me.

DMan

They started booking people on Cootha because it was bicycle awareness week. That was a response someone was told.
Ahhhhhhhhh. Now it falls in place. What a great way to make the cyclist community love you. Book them, instead of warning them during "Bicycle Awareness Week". Asshats

DMan

every bell comes with either it's own wind tunnel test certification paperwork, or the promise of a ___________* from some random bearded fixie hipster (* insert your own verb(s))
Imagine the box it must come in. Platinum plated sitting on a little pillow filled with the fluff shaved off newborn goslings.

safreek

Absolute arseholes, all this stuff about dinging your dinger before overtaking a person, do the same thing in a car and they will book you. Before I became a rider it really shit me when some dickhead crept up and startled me with a bell ring. I suppose the coppers came from Notre dame, superintendent Quasimodo stated to the media " THE BELLS, THE BELLS, they must ring ". What he needs is a good ( kick in the ) ring

Jesterarts

Likes Dirt
F##k getting a bell... get THIS!

But seriously, this is what they have decided to crack down on?

I don't know about Brisvegas, but pedestrians in Melbourne are about to levels of awareness below a zombie. A car horn doesn't seem to get much of a response any more, wtf if a bell going to achieve?

Usually I am all for fining hipsters on their fixies or mamils who seem to thing they own the road, but this is plain stupid.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
crackdown on bicycle bell compliance now...? fuck. nice priorities...
and the mandatory ID in nsw, helmet fines exceeding $300. how the hell did we end up here...?
rego & insurance are probably next on the list.....what happened to a relaxing ride on your pushy ffs???

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
They will hit hard for a few weeks then you will not see them for a while. I haven't owned a bell in a long time. They also book people for speeding on the bike paths too.

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
They also book people for speeding on the bike paths too.
how...? ive heard a few stories of riders being pinged on the road for exceeding sign posted limits....but whats the mandated speed limit on paths?
are some paths sign posted or is it just a blanket 15kmh limit or similar..?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The solution is...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=arKhOdrHJx4

Personally I find the idea of dinging people out of my precious way stoooooopid. Slow down and issue a polite "excuse me". That usually works. If you have a need to travel faster than that, perhaps the road would be more suitable.

F##k getting a bell... get THIS!

But seriously, this is what they have decided to crack down on?

I don't know about Brisvegas, but pedestrians in Melbourne are about to levels of awareness below a zombie. A car horn doesn't seem to get much of a response any more, wtf if a bell going to achieve?

Usually I am all for fining hipsters on their fixies or mamils who seem to thing they own the road, but this is plain stupid.
No stupid is the new nsw laws. These are long standing rules suddenly being targeted. They are pointless and detrimental to building Cycling as a mode of transport.

Flow-Rider

Burner
how...? ive heard a few stories of riders being pinged on the road for exceeding sign posted limits....but whats the mandated speed limit on paths?
are some paths sign posted or is it just a blanket 15kmh limit or similar..?
Yeah, The main bike paths around the cbd are sign posted here. Sometimes they give you a warning and fine you for no bell. Cootha is a small mountain that a lot of roadies ride up and down, easily to clock over 80ks on and get pinged on.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
No point in being helpful when you can turn it into a revenue raising exercise
Bike awareness week is all about making sure you can make others aware of you on your bike.

Make people really aware!

[video=youtube_share;tKqGfd6-Aes]https://youtu.be/tKqGfd6-Aes[/video]

franco cozzo

Likes Dirt
Cootha is a small mountain that a lot roadies ride up and down, easily to clock over 80ks on and get pinged on.
yeh thats where ive heard most of the speed fines are being issued with cops targeting the descending road riders with radar/speed traps...
i think ive seen one speed limit sign on a share path in melb so i guess were lucky in that regard (but i dont ride cbd or inner so wouldnt know if theyve got them around southbank docklands etc)

Last edited: