Becoming an EndurBro

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Despite the notion of Enduro racing being downhill focused, fitness is still very, very important.

Even with uplifts, you need to be able to perform after 3-4 hours on the bike. It is tiring

moorey

call me Mia
Despite the notion of Enduro racing being downhill focused, fitness is still very, very important.

Even with uplifts, you need to be able to perform after 3-4 hours on the bike. It is tiring
Uplifts? Who is racing an enduro with an uplift? Even mandatory practice doesn't give you enough shuttles to practice usually. We get 3 on Saturday for Beauty this weekend, for 6 trails. The briefing info says you will need to do at least one complete ride to the top as well as shuttles to get to see all tracks.
I haven't done a race in 6 years where there were uplifts race day. Buller used to give you a chairlift mid race, purely to get the event through on time. Still over 1000m of climbing.
Fitness foe me, isn't about managing the climbs, its about having legs for the descents after the climbs. YMMV.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Uplifts? Who is racing an enduro with an uplift? Even mandatory practice doesn't give you enough shuttles to practice usually. We get 3 on Saturday for Beauty this weekend, for 6 trails. The briefing info says you will need to do at least one complete ride to the top as well as shuttles to get to see all tracks.
I haven't done a race in 6 years where there were uplifts race day. Buller used to give you a chairlift mid race, purely to get the event through on time. Still over 1000m of climbing.
Fitness foe me, isn't about managing the climbs, its about having legs for the descents after the climbs. YMMV.
So, being fit is important with uplifts and even more important without.
I think that confirms what I was saying?

I had a longer response typed with regards to how hard it is to go flat stick 4-6 times over 3-4 hours, but just gave the short version

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Uplifts? Who is racing an enduro with an uplift?
*cough its called Downduro :p

Yeah we had one here in rAdelaide during the Tour Down Under Festival of Cycling.

It attracted the Enduro crowd and the DH crowd, 5 stages of a gravity enduro with shuttles to the top.

moorey

call me Mia
*cough its called Downduro :p

Yeah we had one here in rAdelaide during the Tour Down Under Festival of Cycling.

It attracted the Enduro crowd and the DH crowd, 5 stages of a gravity enduro with shuttles to the top.
Oh god. Please don’t call it Enduro then.
So.
Flowduro is XC with descents (aka xc for fatties)?
Downduro is enduro for the DH fatties?

Dangals

Likes Dirt
There was also the Thredbo super enduro where you had unlimited chairlift to record your best time on all 3 tracks. Not a hill I would like to ride up to then do each of those trails....

moorey

call me Mia
There was also the Thredbo super enduro where you had unlimited chairlift to record your best time on all 3 tracks. Not a hill I would like to ride up to then do each of those trails....
That’s more like the other discipline…with a French name…that I can’t think of.
Unlimited uplifted runs, best times only count.
Also, don’t forget Super D. I like me some D.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
So.

So.
An Anti-Gravity Enduro has timed up hills and untimed descents;)

I've been racing gravity enduro for the past 5 years in Tassie, ever since the first Tas Gravity Enduro series race. I really enjoy the format. The Masters (40 to 49) category is a pretty competitive field these days and as I get closer to the category age limit I find myself slipping further down the leaderboard. I don't take it too seriously these days and it's more about a good day out on the bike and catching up with all the gang from the past rounds.[/QUOTE]

moorey

call me Mia
For sure, it’s competitive with the old guys. I regularly face off against 2 Aussie WC DH riders who are still fit and fast, and a couple of Elite XC crossover guys. And there’s getting more entering too. No old hacks are just taking it up on a whim, they’re all very seasoned riders.
In my last few years of masters, I looked at the super masters times, and was always in the podium mix, now I’m in there, the field has grown, and times are way faster than before, and despite me getting faster, I haven’t cracked a podium.
Love it though, I give it a crack, but main goal is to get down safe.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
For sure, it’s competitive with the old guys. I regularly face off against 2 Aussie WC DH riders who are still fit and fast, and a couple of Elite XC crossover guys. And there’s getting more entering too. No old hacks are just taking it up on a whim, they’re all very seasoned riders.
In my last few years of masters, I looked at the super masters times, and was always in the podium mix, now I’m in there, the field has grown, and times are way faster than before, and despite me getting faster, I haven’t cracked a podium.
Love it though, I give it a crack, but main goal is to get down safe.
Yeah, I'm the same. I was Masters series champ 5 years ago and used to get a few podiums but now days I'm hanging around at the back of the field and still a few places off the podium in Super Masters:eek:
At the last Queenstown round the winning rider in Masters was 6th overall!!
There's certainly so fast old guys out there now.