beautiful bikes - post them here

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I generally like the overall aesthetic of Starling bikes, but jeebus the welds always seem to look horrible. Wobbly, inconsistent size, and even the occasional splatter just painted over. They presumably hold together okay, but for the money they ask I'd expect a lot better. Just doesn't inspire confidence to me to look down at dodgy looking welds and hoping I could entrust my health and safety to them. I get the simple "home built" ethos of the bikes, but I don't want a bike so badly finished I feel like I've paid a fortune for something I feel like I could've done a better job of welding together myself (and I am not a good welder...).

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
I generally like the overall aesthetic of Starling bikes, but jeebus the welds always seem to look horrible. Wobbly, inconsistent size, and even the occasional splatter just painted over. They presumably hold together okay, but for the money they ask I'd expect a lot better.
That's a pity. Never seen one in person but yeah for that kinda money I'd be after a lot better than that.

Stantons look really impressively made / finished in the flesh, and their videos make me want to go ride bikes:

SummitFever

Eats Squid
I'm still having a bit of trouble with the whole steep seat tube / slack front end aesthetic of some of these bikes. They look like something that hasn't survived a big huck-to-flat.

I don't mind the skinny tubes of the Starling but the fact that the rear triangle's 'seat-stays' have a bend in them is just dumb. It's not like the back of a hard tail where you might do that for some compliance. On a rear swingarm it just adds flex and extra weight where it isn't necessary. It's always been a pet hate of mine when someone uses a bent tube when a straight one would do a better job.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I like it! Top of the list for my next bike. Oh well each to their own.
Big bike for rAdelaide unless you were shuttling or racing enduro. That Druid though :)

I see there is a Med frame for sale on bakebook right now.

EDIT:

Last edited:

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Big bike for rAdelaide unless you were shuttling or racing enduro. That Druid though :)

I see there is a Med frame for sale on bakebook right now.

EDIT:

Yeah. Would be a Druid. Similar looking to the Dreadnought. Saw the one on bakebook medium though. Need a large! Oh and some money.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
You're just used to looking at Orange beefcakes. I like the Starling, the skinny triangle tubes look great to me.
Yeah I agree. I think Starling are one of the few that do steel rear triangles too. Most have alloy, or at least alloy chainstays (like Cotic), on their FS builds.