Generators, Batteries and Inverters

binner

Hath shat hymself
^^^ no probs, took me like a year to get shit right so I'm happy to pass on some tacit knowledge to others so they dont waste time n cash... lets see what you build up!!

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Thanks, saw this email when I was in Cairns today and went there.
Helped a lot actually seeing stuff. Bit pricier than down south.

@binner thanks heaps for the info.
I bought the 45L Oztrail and it's great. Running it coincidentally from the battery @binner that linked up above. Bought the pre-wired battery box from Ananconda too. Charged via a 160w Kings panel panel. At the last 24hr the battery didn't drop below 13.1V which I thought was good.
Make sure you get an MPPT regulator/controller when you select a panel.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
I'm looking at a 12V system with a deep cycle battery from someone like Redarc. Are they the 12V equivalent of Hope components or something I should seriously consider?

I want to be able to run a 56L camp fridge and some lights for a weekend.

Minlak

custom titis
I'm looking at a 12V system with a deep cycle battery from someone like Redarc. Are they the 12V equivalent of Hope components or something I should seriously consider?

I want to be able to run a 56L camp fridge and some lights for a weekend.
Alright - I would buy a battery box - Add a 200 amp/hr AGM battery - Charge at home on 240v before leaving - cool fridge on 240v power the day before - load it with drinks etc for the cooling process - load food stuffs etc on day leaving - make sure stuff is already cold before loading fridge - the fuller a fridge is the colder it will stay with less power - think 1 drink out put 1 drink in - if not lasting the weekend for whatever reason look at a solar panel you can connect to battery box - you only want to drop an AGM battery to 50% capacity so 200 is actually 100 amp hours - battery box can be charged whilst driving - so if you drive on the weekend charges as well.

*I personally would buy a Lithium battery but you will need $1000 for the battery alone.

You will not wire a ute with a battery and isolator and battery management cheaper than this.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Alright - I would buy a battery box - Add a 200 amp/hr AGM battery - Charge at home on 240v before leaving - cool fridge on 240v power the day before - load it with drinks etc for the cooling process - load food stuffs etc on day leaving - make sure stuff is already cold before loading fridge - the fuller a fridge is the colder it will stay with less power - think 1 drink out put 1 drink in - if not lasting the weekend for whatever reason look at a solar panel you can connect to battery box - you only want to drop an AGM battery to 50% capacity so 200 is actually 100 amp hours - battery box can be charged whilst driving - so if you drive on the weekend charges as well.

*I personally would buy a Lithium battery but you will need $1000 for the battery alone.

You will not wire a ute with a battery and isolator and battery management cheaper than this.

View attachment 376309
Hmmmm, a 200AH AGM battery probably won't fit that box? 140AH are usually 13" cases and 200AH are 15"??????? Yes????

Set up depends on use and then budget. We go off grid for up to 3 weeks so we have dcdc charger, solar panels, changeover relay and 120AH agm battery in a custom box all connected with suitable wiring and connections. To do that from scratch is probably upwards of $1,300 using quality name brand components and doing the install myself. I know others who have done well with ebay specials and more who have been burned by the same. Similarly a few got ripped off with an install by the usual 4x4 shops...

Last edited:

Minlak

custom titis
Hmmmm, a 200AH AGM battery probably won't fit that box? 140AH are usually 13" cases and 200AH are 15"??????? Yes????

Set up depends on use and then budget. We go off grid for up to 3 weeks so we have dcdc charger, solar panels, changeover relay and 120AH agm battery in a custom box all connected with suitable wiring and connections. To do that from scratch is probably upwards of $1,300 using quality name brand components and doing the install myself. I know others who have done well with ebay specials and more who have been burned by the same. Similarly a few got ripped off with an install by the usual 4x4 shops...
Sorry box was meant as an indication of what to buy not actually what to buy - obviously buy a box that suits the battery you are going to buy.

DMan

Sorry box was meant as an indication of what to buy not actually what to buy - obviously buy a box that suits the battery you are going to buy.
Good box though. I bought that one when I bought the fridge for the same reason. I couldn't make it that cheap.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
... and get a fold out solar panel and an MPPT charge controller.

and yes, +100 on pre-cooling everything.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Haha yeah I got that :)

I've been quoted $1,500 for a Redarc BCDC install - I don't have all the component details but it will cover my requirements.

It doesn't include a fold out solar panel but you can "charge from Solar and DC inputs simultaneously".

DMan

Haha yeah I got that :)

I've been quoted $1,500 for a Redarc BCDC install - I don't have all the component details but it will cover my requirements.

It doesn't include a fold out solar panel but you can "charge from Solar and DC inputs simultaneously".
Just add it to your list....