Bargain buys thread

Jabubu

let you google that for me
Just a few more points of reference for tyre sizes (I'm bored). The 2.6 Butcher is bigger than the Assegai. I haven't mounted the 2.3 Butcher yet but if it's smaller than the DHR 2.4 I'll eat it :D
View attachment 399977View attachment 399978View attachment 399979View attachment 399980
Assguy 2.5 Butcher 2.6 Cannibal 2.4 DHR 2.4
Do you think the Butcher 2.6 will be a bit vague feeling? I liked the DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 on the front but the latter seems significantly narrower than the Butcher 2.6. Let me know how the 2.3 measures up!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Anyone need a minty 1 1/8 fork for a DJ bike??

View attachment 400028
What with fox and broken rebound knobs? There seems to be a bloody long history of their forks doing that. I have an otherwise perfect XC fox 32 which works fine but the rebound knob is broken and they bloody hell designed it with a 10cm lever arm, made of alloy, adn the kicker, the bit that usually breaks is one piece with the entire damper assembly. Who designs this crap man?!

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
What with fox and broken rebound knobs? There seems to be a bloody long history of their forks doing that. I have an otherwise perfect XC fox 32 which works fine but the rebound knob is broken and they bloody hell designed it with a 10cm lever arm, made of alloy, adn the kicker, the bit that usually breaks is one piece with the entire damper assembly. Who designs this crap man?!
Fox's design team...

1685587812112.png

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I was a little worried there...I know a few light weight smooth riders that have done it without issue, but unco donkeys like myself not so much.
I ran a 60mm QR 32 on my NPJ way back… I also weighed 20kg less. It was still flexy as fuck and was quickly replaced with an Argyle.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Do you think the Butcher 2.6 will be a bit vague feeling? I liked the DHF 2.5 and DHR II 2.4 on the front but the latter seems significantly narrower than the Butcher 2.6. Let me know how the 2.3 measures up!
Butcher 2.6 and DHF 2.5 feel similar on the front with the DHF overall giving more support as it's less bulbous and because of this can produce higher grip. Butcher 2.6 is ok for a front if you aren't smashing berms and really getting into it.

Jabubu

Butcher 2.6 and DHF 2.5 feel similar on the front with the DHF overall giving more support as it's less bulbous and because of this can produce higher grip. Butcher 2.6 is ok for a front if you aren't smashing berms and really getting into it.
So you'd recommend a 2.3 Butcher T9 F / 2.3 Eliminator T7 R setup then?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Do people still smash berms? All the tyre marks I'm seeing indicate not.

kten

So you'd recommend a 2.3 Butcher T9 F / 2.3 Eliminator T7 R setup then?
I'd go T9 Butcher up front and T7 Butcher rear but that's my preference. Didn't notice much of a difference in rolling resistance between the Butcher and Eliminator rear but the braking of the Butcher is much better. A Purgatory for the rear could be a good option if you aren't going gravity casings.

If you are going gravity then maybe try Cannibal front and Butcher rear.

Jabubu

I'd go T9 Butcher up front and T7 Butcher rear but that's my preference. Didn't notice much of a difference in rolling resistance between the Butcher and Eliminator rear but the braking of the Butcher is much better. A Purgatory for the rear could be a good option if you aren't going gravity casings.

If you are going gravity then maybe try Cannibal front and Butcher rear.
It seems they only make a T9 Gravity. Would be nice if they did a T7 Gravity or even a T7/T9!

I'm falling more towards the Butcher T9 (F) and T7 (R)

nathanm

Eats Squid
Ok so the research is in.

I've measured all my tyres and they are +/- 1mm

Minion dhf 2.5 knob2knob 65mm bag 61mm
Butcher grid 2.6 k2k 63mm bag 65mm
Dhr 2.4 k2k 61 bag 57
Butcher 2.3 k2k 60 bag 61
High Roller 2.5 k2k 63 bag 60

This is fitted to 30mm rims

So tldr
Specialized 2.6 is the same if not smaller than minion 2.5
Specialized 2.3 is equivalent to minion 2.4
Maxxis have wider side knobs, specialiazed have a larger sidewall/bag width.

Irck

Likes Bikes

Dhr 2.4 k2k 61 bag 57

So tldr
Cheers. That’s super helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kten

Dhr 2.4 k2k 61 bag 57

So tldr
Hope you didn't use a bloody ruler :D