Bargain buys thread

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
CRC sale might be worth having a look at. Hope boost rear wheel for less than the cost of the hub:

Edit: and a set of Stans Arch for $250:

Double edit: Not sure where the $267 for the Hope wheel came from - but they can be had for less in a set. Race face 40mm rims are probably made of cheese, but a set of Hope hubs for $390 seems like a good deal. Find a better rim with the same ERD and rebuild with them?

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
CRC sale might be worth having a look at. Hope boost rear wheel for less than the cost of the hub:

View attachment 391258

Edit: and a set of Stans Arch for $250:
The Hope/RF set has a 40mm wide rim. I bought a set a while back not realising. Solid wheels, stupidly wide. I’ve left mine gathering dust.

Nambra

The Hope/RF set has a 40mm wide rim. I bought a set a while back not realising. Solid wheels, stupidly wide. I’ve left mine gathering dust.
Agreed - only good for plus tyres. You could probably replace them with EX 471s - spoke length calculator suggests <= 0.5mm difference, and the EX rim comes with washers and nipples. $700 odd for DT on Hope... but a set of Fortus 30s is cheaper, probably not worth the effort.

moorey

call me Mia
Agreed - only good for plus tyres. You could probably replace them with EX 471s - spoke length calculator suggests <= 0.5mm difference, and the EX rim comes with washers and nipples. $700 odd for DT on Hope... but a set of Fortus 30s is cheaper, probably not worth the effort.
I fitted some Maxxis wide trial tyres to see how they look. They aren’t bad honestly, but definitely no good if you ran standard tyres. I’ve got a separate set of hope Fortus 30s on the way anyway, so this seat might just end up on Quinn ebike.

nathanm

Eats Squid

View attachment 391258

Double edit: Not sure where the $267 for the Hope wheel came from - but they can be had for less in a set. Race face 40mm rims are probably made of cheese, but a set of Hope hubs for $390 seems like a good deal. Find a better rim with the same ERD and rebuild with them?
How bad are the Raceface Rims. I'm chasing a set of 27.5+ wheels for the Dartmoor build and 12x142 rear hub spacing is getting pretty bloody hard to find these days, so these look like a goer.

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
How bad are the Raceface Rims. I'm chasing a set of 27.5+ wheels for the Dartmoor build and 12x142 rear hub spacing is getting pretty bloody hard to find these days, so these look like a goer.

I have an ARC 30 on the back of one of mine and it resembles the above (but to be fair, it's about 5 years old now and a fair bit of user error on rocky trails with too lower pressure may have lead to it's demise...it will eventually be replaced with a DT 471). You might fair better with being such a wide rim with that much rubber around it.

Nambra

If you ran decent casings or inserts you'd probably be ok. I've not had direct experience with Race Face, other than what I've read but they are often described as soft. If you're not flogging them on a DH bike then you might have a different experience.

I'd say go for it - a set of wheels for less money than the price of the hubs alone is pretty attractive.

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 391261

I have an ARC 30 on the back of one of mine and it resembles the above (but to be fair, it's about 5 years old now and a fair bit of user error on rocky trails with too lower pressure may have lead to it's demise...it will eventually be replaced with a DT 471). You might fair better with being such a wide rim with that much rubber around it.
What is the best wine to match with there rims?