Bargain buys thread

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
The pads are very good but not head and shoulders above everything else. You get 99% of the performance with Racematrix pads.

The Trickstuff also use Goodridge braided lines. Again this is available aftermarket and the Uberbike steel braided lines are 99% of the performance.

I find Code RSCs require a lot of lever force to actuate even before the pads contact the disc, almost a gloopy feel.

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk
sorry what does a steel braided line do for performance?

so if i get race matrix pads and some steel braided lines, i get 198% of the performance of trickstuff? sign me up!

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
In theory, less ballooning of the lines while applying the brakes. I've swapped between stock plastic lines and braided in the past and didn't notice f-all difference TBH.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Lever force or lever travel?
Lever force. The lever travel isn't as long as Cura 4s or TRPs, but also not as light in feel as those brakes. The Shimanos are notchier again especially in the 2 pots.

Given that I have owned a fuckload of brakes I can hand on heart say there is definitely a difference between brakes that share brake pads.

Shimano m755 XT 4 pots are miles better than Hope M4 and E4s which use the same pads. The Trickstuff Diritessimas which also use the same pads are outrageously more powerful again.

Saints > Zees > XTR/XT/SLX/Deore 4 pot > TRP Quadiem > Tektro Slate T4.

If you want to have outrageous brakes without spending 1200 euros check out these. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1150994...xNkuRf0OSJ2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

Oddjob

so if i get race matrix pads and some steel braided lines, i get 198% of the performance of trickstuff? sign me up!
More resistant to expansion. Mineral oil has compressibility that is pretty similar to softer alloys. Plastic can't resist this force as well as braided Kevlar and steel.

Pretty hard to notice for under fed skinny endurobros. Much more noticeable for fat dads.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
Lever force. The lever travel isn't as long as Cura 4s or TRPs, but also not as light in feel as those brakes. The Shimanos are notchier again especially in the 2 pots.

Given that I have owned a fuckload of brakes I can hand on heart say there is definitely a difference between brakes that share brake pads.

Shimano m755 XT 4 pots are miles better than Hope M4 and E4s which use the same pads. The Trickstuff Diritessimas which also use the same pads are outrageously more powerful again.

Saints > Zees > XTR/XT/SLX/Deore 4 pot > TRP Quadiem > Tektro Slate T4.

If you want to have outrageous brakes without spending 1200 euros check out these. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1150994...xNkuRf0OSJ2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=SMS

so just thinking this through. asside from modulation qualities/bite point etc and how they feel, when a wheel is locked up from slamming a brake on a pair of codes vs locking up a wheel on a trickstuff, whats different? The wheel isnt moving. Ive seen the ABS stuff recently on GMBN and THAT is tech that i can understand. The visual provided does great to show what the benefit of that is, but isnt there a diminishing return to braking power? Not much more braking to be done if the wheel isn't moving.

No it compounds you actually get 9801%
holey moley. Il take three.

Oddjob

so just thinking this through. asside from modulation qualities/bite point etc and how they feel, when a wheel is locked up from slamming a brake on a pair of codes vs locking up a wheel on a trickstuff, whats different? The wheel isnt moving. Ive seen the ABS stuff recently on GMBN and THAT is tech that i can understand. The visual provided does great to show what the benefit of that is, but isnt there a diminishing return to braking power? Not much more braking to be done if the wheel isn't moving.

holey moley. Il take three.
It's brake capacity. If you're trying to haul 100kgs+ down from 40km/h repeatedly on a Maydena run you quickly see the difference in capacity between brakes.

I cooked a set of Saints with 200mm rotors and sintered pads at Maydena on my DH bike. Probably needed a set of Cura 4s on Racematrix pads and floating 220mm rotors.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
i read the article (https://enduro-mtb.com/en/trickstuff-maxima-review/), but didnt see any comparison. maybe i looked at a different enduro mag? But what constitutes destroyed? I mean the technology is all the same, isnt it? A hydraulic line, all pushing brake fluid of some description to actuate pistons that have pads connected to them against a disc. Is it really then not just the compound on the pads that's the relevant factor here and not so much the 1200 euro brakes? Asside from feel and personal preferences (all subjective), im not getting what the difference is here. 100% recognise im ignorant on this and these are legitimate questions, not trying to be contrary.
We may aswell all get $70 sets of ztto brakes....I'll start

Squidfayce

Eats Squid
It's brake capacity. If you're trying to haul 100kgs+ down from 40km/h repeatedly on a Maydena run you quickly see the difference in capacity between brakes.

I cooked a set of Saints with 200mm rotors and sintered pads at Maydena on my DH bike. Probably needed a set of Cura 4s on Racematrix pads and floating 220mm rotors.

so i dont need to upgrade for the plantation at the youis then i guess :D

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Modulation is king.

Lever throw is a highly contested vibe.

Brake fade will ruin your day.

Power is relevant to mass.

Stop skidding the corners you noobz!

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
If you're trying to haul 100kgs+ down from 40km/h repeatedly on a Maydena run
Not long ago I finished 3 days at Maydena, I'm 100+ kg, running the TRP DHR-Evo with Uberbike E-matrix pads and 203mm rotors and had not 1 bit of fade for the 3 days.

Last trip I was on Shimano Zee with race matrix pads also 203mm rotors and have to say the TRPs out performed them.

Weather that was due to the pads, the thicker rotors or the brakes design, I can't entirely say.

Oddjob

Not long ago I finished 3 days at Maydena, I'm 100+ kg, running the TRP DHR-Evo with Uberbike E-matrix pads and 203mm rotors and had not 1 bit of fade for the 3 days.

Last trip I was on Shimano Zee with race matrix pads also 203mm rotors and have to say the TRPs out performed them.

Weather that was due to the pads, the thicker rotors or the brakes design, I can't entirely say.
That's good. I really like the feel of the TRPs the build quality on them is solid as f&#$. But for the price it's hard for me to go past the Cura 4s.

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This has popped up on my fb page - I am a member on a fatbike page ….. don’t judge me hahaha